Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's For Dinner?  (Read 145823 times)

boulderbrewer

Re: What's For Dinner?
« Reply #90 on: January 19, 2011, 09:14:18 pm »
Just got the news, we have quail eggs.They are only 6 weeks old. I guess we have quail in about 3 weeks just as soon as I get the Ok  yummm;

don't know what to do with the eggs.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #91 on: January 19, 2011, 09:16:35 pm »
Tiny omelets.

Are you going to raise quail?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #92 on: January 19, 2011, 09:19:02 pm »
Just got the news, we have quail eggs.They are only 6 weeks old. I guess we have quail in about 3 weeks just as soon as I get the Ok  yummm;

don't know what to do with the eggs.

I'm lost. You want to hatch 'em? You need to build an incubator. Otherwise, quail mcmuffins?

or quail balut  :-X
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #93 on: January 20, 2011, 07:07:20 am »
suho - bosnian ; that's what was bugging me

what brand is the croatian ajvar? Better than the macedonian stuff?

So, with the "dryness" - would you not eat meat if they were vegetarian or skip cheese if they were lactose intolerant? Just saying, that's their choice - it's your house. Not trying to start a family feud, just wondering.

Yeah, I suppose it would be suvo govedina or govedja?  A bit of German is about as far east as my language knowledge goes.

Podravka ajvar.  You know, I'd have to do a taste test to really tell.  Its good, but I like every kind I've bought so far...I generally pick the cheapest!

Re dryness, its more just avoiding making them uncomfortable...they might be fine with it, but its no skin off my nose to keep the slivo put away, and I wouldn't want to be sitting in the corner downing plum brandy if no one else wanted any!  :D   Sort of like not serving bacon when Muslims were invited to dinner, or a big joint of roast beef should I be entertaining observant hindus.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #94 on: January 20, 2011, 02:45:34 pm »
This morning, before going to work, I got a venison pot roast going.

A 3.2# whole boneless trimmed mule deer shoulder that I butchered last November to be precise.  I salt and peppered it, rolled it in flour, then seared all sides in olive oil in the dutch oven.

I took it out, then cooked a cup each of chopped onion, celery, and carrots for 10 minutes.  Then added concentrated sun-dried tomato past, chopped garlic and chopped porcini mushrooms, cooked for another minute, then deglazed the pan with some Italian Sangiovese wine.  I put the roast back in the dutch oven, added some beef broth to fill it about 1/3 the way up the roast, some thyme and bay leaves, then stuck it in the 250°F oven.

I came home for lunch, and peeled and cut up some Yukon Gold potatoes and carrots in big chunks.  I took the roast out, turned it over, then added the spuds and carrots and stuck it back in the oven.  The roast was already starting to fall apart....just the way I like venison pot roast.

I will have to go pick up a nice baguette from the French bakery tonight on the way home from work.  I checked the fridge and was pleased to see I had plenty of Beaver brand Extra Hot Horseradish.  8)

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #95 on: January 20, 2011, 06:26:01 pm »
suho - bosnian ; that's what was bugging me

what brand is the croatian ajvar? Better than the macedonian stuff?

So, with the "dryness" - would you not eat meat if they were vegetarian or skip cheese if they were lactose intolerant? Just saying, that's their choice - it's your house. Not trying to start a family feud, just wondering.

Yeah, I suppose it would be suvo govedina or govedja?  A bit of German is about as far east as my language knowledge goes.

Podravka ajvar.  You know, I'd have to do a taste test to really tell.  Its good, but I like every kind I've bought so far...I generally pick the cheapest!

Re dryness, its more just avoiding making them uncomfortable...they might be fine with it, but its no skin off my nose to keep the slivo put away, and I wouldn't want to be sitting in the corner downing plum brandy if no one else wanted any!  :D   Sort of like not serving bacon when Muslims were invited to dinner, or a big joint of roast beef should I be entertaining observant hindus.

Yeah I guess if you invite them maybe you shouldn't eat their god in front of them. I thought it was more of a mandatory hosting in which case alcohol may be necessary to make it through the event.  ;)

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #96 on: January 20, 2011, 09:42:32 pm »
The cow isnt their god. It inst worshiped. It is cared for cause it is a source of food, milk, and it is a work horse. Imagine severely improvised times when a single cow would keep a whole group of people from starving to death. The cow represents the supreme symbol of life, it gives life.   It is only considered sacred for those reasons a Hindu can never kill a cow. In fact, to a Hindu all killing of animals is considered wrong.

Many Hindus will not be offended if you are eating beef, but they wont eat it themselves.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #97 on: January 20, 2011, 09:52:45 pm »
The cow isnt their god. It inst worshiped. It is cared for cause it is a source of food, milk, and it is a work horse. Imagine severely improvised times when a single cow would keep a whole group of people from starving to death. The cow represents the supreme symbol of life, it gives life.   It is only considered sacred for those reasons a Hindu can never kill a cow. In fact, to a Hindu all killing of animals is considered wrong.

Many Hindus will not be offended if you are eating beef, but they wont eat it themselves.

Easy there Cap. don't want to offend the moderating gods either.  ;) Yeah, I know about Hindu and Ganesh and all that. That's no fun though. Try this one on for size - in addition to no meat or alcohol.... how about no mushrooms?!?!?

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #98 on: January 20, 2011, 10:23:05 pm »
YEah I know, I just been reading Ghandis autobiography. An I wanted to set up for a joke but I better not.  ;D
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #99 on: January 20, 2011, 11:17:33 pm »
Mushrooms... I love them but half the people I know can't stand the thought of them.  ???
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #100 on: January 20, 2011, 11:21:13 pm »
Mushrooms... I love them but half the people I know can't stand the thought of them.  ???

I absolutely love mushrooms but Ms. Tubercle gags at the mention of them.

Guess who wins the argument :'(
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #101 on: January 21, 2011, 02:59:07 am »
Tomorrow night I'll be making that carbonade that was in the most recent issue of Zymurgy. We've got some friends coming over to play Tarot (not http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarot but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_tarot) and I'm trying to figure out what dubbel to put in there. I may splurge and get three bottles of Gulden Draak (keeping one for testing purposes of course). Will post pics once I'm done... Not sure about what kind of meat to use. The recipe says lamb but I have bison, venison and ostrich in my freezer. Serving that up with some creamy polenta with some two-year parm shredded in.

Speaking of which, I forgot to post pictures of what I had last saturday night. Saturday afternoon we went to La Criée, which is the French version of Red Lobster, except the food is not as good, the portions are tiny and the prices are really high. It's the traditional "date night" restaurant for young couples who don't know any better, which is why they can afford to slack off. Anyway, I ordered as an appetizer some seared scallops and shrimp with roasted garlic. It was really good, but there were 3 scallops the size of my pinky fingernail and way too many defrosted shrimp. So I had to step it up a notch when I got home, bien sur. Here's the beast:

Bah, MobileMe won't post it. N/m.

That's saffron risotto with a bunch of shredded parm and a decent amount of Riesling, topped with a half pound of scallops and a half pound of shell-off shrimp. With dinner we watched "Dinner for Idiots" and had my IPA (which is REALLY coming along nicely now, a month after kegging) and I can say it's the first time I've been drunk off of homebrew. Feels much nicer/cleaner getting sloshed on your own stuff, probably from all those beneficial vitamins and minerals that get scrubbed out of most commercial stuff. BTW, the movie is based off of the French "Diner du Cons" but I thought the American version was much, much better.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 04:31:20 am by phillamb168 »
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #102 on: January 21, 2011, 06:43:04 am »
I've heard there are some sects of Hinduism that are vegetarian, but are so dependent on seafood that they call fish "vegetables of the sea".   Maybe it was Bengal, or somewhere east?  I don't remember. 

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #103 on: January 21, 2011, 08:23:23 am »
Mushrooms... I love them but half the people I know can't stand the thought of them.  ???

I absolutely love mushrooms but Ms. Tubercle gags at the mention of them.

Guess who wins the argument :'(
Glad to know I'm not the only one in that situation..  :(  Same with Liver & Onions.. Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #104 on: February 15, 2011, 02:47:21 pm »
Our teacher asked us what our favorite animal was, and I said, "Fried chicken." She said I wasn't funny, but she couldn't have been right, because everyone else in the class laughed.

My parents told me to always be truthful and honest, and I am. Fried chicken is my favorite animal. I told my dad what happened, and he said my teacher was probably a member of PETA. He said they love animals very much. I do, too. Especially chicken, pork and beef. Anyway, my teacher sent me to the principal's office. I told him what happened, and he laughed, too. Then he told me not to do it again.

The next day in class my teacher asked me what my favorite live animal was.

I told her it was chicken. She asked me why, just like she'd asked the other children.

So I told her it was because you could make them into fried chicken.

She sent me back to the principal's office again. He laughed, and told me not to do it again. I don't understand. My parents taught me to be honest, but my teacher doesn't like it when I am.

Today, my teacher asked us to tell her what famous person we admire most.

I told her, "Colonel Sanders."
Guess where I am now...

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907