Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Guinness Foreign Extra Stout  (Read 13805 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Guinness Foreign Extra Stout
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2010, 02:26:57 pm »
For inquiring minds.

Guinness Foreign Extra Stout

Guinness Extra Stout

Ron Price

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2010, 02:33:00 pm »
Apparently, this beer has not been available in the American market for 80 years.

Really?!? I bought some in upstate New York last winter....

It's always been in the markets here in southern Oregon.

I think you guys are thinking of Guinness Extra Stout and not the Guinness Foreign Extra Stout, which is different - 4pks vs. 6pks, 11.2oz bottles vs. 12oz, and about 3% abv or so.
Actually there are two versions of this beer.  The U.S. version came in at about 6.5% and Foreign Extra at 7.5%.  The stronger one has never been available in the U.S. as far as I know.  I have a bottle from the Cayman Islands that says "Guinness is good for you" right on the label.  You won't see that in the states.  
The draught Guinness in the 11.2 ounce bottles with the widget is an entirely different animal.

sorry Jeffy - you're wrong  ;) :D.  what we are talking about is the one that is 7.5% that just became available in the US - I bought some last week at Total Wine.  

I'd be surprised that we have it before Tampa, so its probably out there if you want it.
No, I'm actually not wrong.  There are two slightly different versions.  The 6.5% has been available here for a long time, but not the 7.5%.  I'll have to pick some up.  I'll also check to see if the slightly less strong version is still at the store.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2010, 02:37:54 pm »
No, I'm actually not wrong.  There are two slightly different versions.  The 6.5% has been available here for a long time, but not the 7.5%.  I'll have to pick some up.  I'll also check to see if the slightly less strong version is still at the store.

both versions are both still available.  that's what I'm saying - you're wrong in saying that its not available in the States - it was just released in the states (which is what generated this thread and hence why I said it in my best "McLaughlin Group" w/ smiley statement since an article referenced the new release- damn interwebs). 

there's now 3 versions of packaged Guinness available on the market - Draught w/ widget, Extra Stout, and Foreign Extra Stout - (4 if cans are still out there)?
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2010, 02:43:45 pm »
Don't they use sorghum in this recipe? I thought I read that somewhere about the foreign extra stout. that might account for the perceived sweetness as not all the sugars in molasses are fermentable
I'm confused - they use sorghum and molasses?  Because it reads to me like you're saying sorghum is molasses . . . except it's not.  :-\

sorry to be unclear. I was refering to sorghum which is sometimes refered to as molasses. When you make sugar from sugar cane you get molasses left over but if you back sorghum syrup by pressing the sorghum stalks it is often refered to interchangably. I meant sorghum.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2010, 02:54:55 pm »

both versions are both still available.  that's what I'm saying - you're wrong in saying that its not available in the States - it was just released in the states (which is what generated this thread and hence why I said it in my best "McLaughlin Group" w/ smiley statement since an article referenced the new release- damn interwebs). 

there's now 3 versions of packaged Guinness available on the market - Draught w/ widget, Extra Stout, and Foreign Extra Stout - (4 if cans are still out there)?
I thought you were saying that there was only the one strong Guinness in the heavier, 12 ounce bottles, so I went to my local store and bought a six-pack of imported Guinness Extra Stout.  This one was brewed in Canada and doesn't have the alc% on the bottle, but as I recall it's about 6.5%. It's been on the shelf of that store for a long, long time.  I'll have to go look for the newly released Foreign Extra at a real beer store.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2010, 03:00:04 pm »
I was fortunate enough to drink a few of these in Jamaica 6 years ago only to realize that it ruined me for most lower abv stouts.  I honestly have had only a couple of regular Guinness since.  Needless to say I was stoked to find out they were releasing it here in the States.  The article I read said it was going to hit in October so I figured it would 2011 before it got here to the beer wasteland.  To my surprised my local store had it the 1st week of Oct.
-J.K.L. 

As of winter 06/07, the Guinness Foreign Extra Stout sold in jamaica is only 6.5% and is made locally by Desnoes and Geddes.  My sister brought some of these back for me that winter, and they were not good at all.  Not sure if this is still the case today or not.

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
    • ALES Club
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2010, 03:02:15 pm »
I thought you were saying that there was only the one strong Guinness in the heavier, 12 ounce bottles, so I went to my local store and bought a six-pack of imported Guinness Extra Stout.  This one was brewed in Canada and doesn't have the alc% on the bottle, but as I recall it's about 6.5%. It's been on the shelf of that store for a long, long time.  I'll have to go look for the newly released Foreign Extra at a real beer store.

And for those that are able to keep up with the confusion, here is some more:

- The Extra Stout sold in the US is brewed by Moosehead in Canada
- The Extra Stout sold in Canada is brewed by Labatt (AB Inbev), is 5%abv, and tastes like absolute garbage.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2010, 03:38:52 pm »
Let's make it far more confusing. There are various versions of FES including one sold in Belgium (perhaps other places as well) named Special Export.

I haven't looked at the bottles I picked up last night to investigate where the FES currently being sold which is 7.5% is made.

The one time I had a bottle of FES previously it was made in Barbados by Banks Barbados Brewery, Ltd. I cannot find my notes on Special Export, but IIRC it was 8%.

Wanna get even more confusing, take a look at the entry in Wikipedia
Guinness Foreign Extra Stout: 7.5% ABV version sold in Europe, Africa, the Caribbean, Asia, and the United States. The basis is an unfermented but hopped Guinness wort extract shipped from Dublin, which is added to local ingredients and brewed locally. The strength can vary, for example, it is sold at 5% ABV in China, 6.5% ABV in Jamaica and East Africa, 7.5% in the United States, and 8% ABV in Singapore. In Nigeria a proportion of sorghum is used. Foreign Extra Stout is blended with a small amount of intentionally soured beer.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2010, 03:53:05 pm »
Don't they use sorghum in this recipe? I thought I read that somewhere about the foreign extra stout. that might account for the perceived sweetness as not all the sugars in molasses are fermentable
I'm confused - they use sorghum and molasses?  Because it reads to me like you're saying sorghum is molasses . . . except it's not.  :-\

sorry to be unclear. I was refering to sorghum which is sometimes refered to as molasses. When you make sugar from sugar cane you get molasses left over but if you back sorghum syrup by pressing the sorghum stalks it is often refered to interchangably. I meant sorghum.
Huh.  I had no idea there was such a thing as "sweet surghum", which is what wikipedia says sorghum molasses is made out of.  I thought you were talking about the grass sorghum, which is used to make gluten free beers.  I guess the two are related.  Interesting.  And according to wikipedia the "sweet sorghum syrup" used to make gluten-free beers comes from the grain, not the sweet sorghum.

At least that's not confusing at all.   :-\ ;D

Thanks, I learned something. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2010, 04:01:55 pm »
Wanna get even more confusing, take a look at the entry in Wikipedia
Guinness Foreign Extra Stout: 7.5% ABV version sold in Europe, Africa, the Caribbean, Asia, and the United States. The basis is an unfermented but hopped Guinness wort extract shipped from Dublin, which is added to local ingredients and brewed locally. The strength can vary, for example, it is sold at 5% ABV in China, 6.5% ABV in Jamaica and East Africa, 7.5% in the United States, and 8% ABV in Singapore. In Nigeria a proportion of sorghum is used. Foreign Extra Stout is blended with a small amount of intentionally soured beer.
Thanks for this Mike.  A friend of mine from Singapore brought me one several years ago, but I couldn't remember the ABV.  I thought it was 8-9%, but couldn't reconcile that with the 7.5% for the FES.  Now it's all clear . . . as Guinness ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline brew_in_stl

• 1st Kit
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2010, 07:39:22 am »
[KeanuReevesvoice]I'm sorry...what?[/KeanuReevesvoice]

Wow, that got confusing fast!  So, the FES that I drank is the stuff Guinness JUST released in October to the United States.  It was previously NOT avialable in the United States.  Since I am not in Jamaica, Canada, Singapore, Nigeria...wherever, I don't know what the heck they have!  ;D

I just know that the FES that is now available for me to enjoy here in the U.S. of A. is a tasty beer, regardless of it's origin.  I do know, however, that it is NOT the "old" Extra Stout (still a favorite and a must for most of my chili creations) and is definitely not Guinness Draught.

Okay...that's all I have.
Joshua Eberhardt
Hombrewer since 2006
Member - Saint Louis Brews

Offline hermsman

• 1st Kit
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2010, 11:27:51 am »
I had to try one last night. It is tastey, roasty and hoppy. The version sold here is the FES is from Guinness in Ireland. Yap, St James Gate,  Dublin Ireland. Not Labatt, AB, Moosehead etc. Its the REAL deal! 7.5% alc. of dark delicious goodness.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 11:52:47 am by hermsman »
Fermenting:
FrankenAle 2010
Winter Solstice 3

On Tap:
Black EyePA
Bavarian Lager
Winter Solstice 2
Belgian Strong Dark Ale
Pliny the Clone II
Firestone Clone
Robust Porter
Vanilla Porter
Belgian Pale Ale
Spiced Winter Ale
FrankenAle 2006

Offline JKL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2010, 11:58:56 am »
I had to try one last night. It is tastey, roasty and hoppy. The version sold here is the FES is from Guinness in Ireland. Yap, St James Gate,  Dublin Ireland. Not Labatt, AB, Moosehead etc. Its the REAL deal! 7.5% alc. of dark delicious goodness.
Makes me want to go get another 4-pack tonight!
-J.K.L.

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2010, 12:18:29 pm »
Makes me want to go get another 4-pack tonight!
-J.K.L.

I intend to do the same.  I've had quite a few of these in the last couple weeks and it will be on my very (very) short list of commercial beers I still buy occasionally. 
I've always liked Guinness (even if it has dumbed down over the 40 years that have passed since I first tasted it), but this iteration of the  FES is hands down my favorite of any stout I've ever had. Considering the widespread 'dissing'  that beer geeks heap upon  both Draught Guinness and the 'brewed under license' bottled version, it seems to me that Diageo has made a smart move in bringing the FES to market in the states.
I'll say it again...this is the real Guinness.  And still the benchmark for dry stout, as far as I'm concerned.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
    • ALES Club
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2010, 04:17:54 pm »
Yeah, I was pretty stoked to see the FES ad in the latest Zymurgy, I have always wanted to try the real deal.  Unfortunately, it aint available in Canada.