Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Guinness Foreign Extra Stout  (Read 13767 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: Guinness Foreign Extra Stout
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2010, 05:45:29 pm »
K- so I'm tipping one of these tonight and IIRC it is less estery than the one I had from Barbados. Quite hoppy and quite roasty and a smidge of diacetyl, but not at a level which detracts. The guidelines currently say low to none for aroma and very low to none for flavor, but this is just a bit above what I would consider low...FWIW the Special Export had quite a notable level of diacetyl when I had it...
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2010, 07:23:48 pm »
K- so I'm tipping one of these tonight and IIRC it is less estery than the one I had from Barbados. Quite hoppy and quite roasty and a smidge of diacetyl, but not at a level which detracts. The guidelines currently say low to none for aroma and very low to none for flavor, but this is just a bit above what I would consider low...FWIW the Special Export had quite a notable level of diacetyl when I had it...

Good observations for sure,  except that the 'guidelines' just don't apply here. 
They are only for homebrew competition judging and have no relevance whatsoever  when it comes to commercial beer.

This can't be stressed enough.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2010, 11:26:57 pm »
I have a tradition of humping a bottle of Guiness Extra Stout with me when I hike out to photograph the active lava flows of Kilauea.  I often spend the night out there - just me, my cameras and Pele.  Ain't nothin better than relaxing in front of a glowing 2000 degree F flow of molten earth while sippin on a fine stout!  I find the aroma of volcanic gases and the flavor of roasted barley to be complimentary.

After reading the reviews of Guinness Foreign Extra Stout in this thread, I'm really looking forward to humping some out to the flows when it becomes available here on Hawaii Island!

btw - having more than one bottle is asking for trouble - Pele can be pretty unforgiving of sloppiness...
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 11:28:53 pm by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2010, 04:45:27 am »
Professor - it's not about trying to apply the guidelines to pidgeonhole a commercial beer, it IS about eventually UPDATING the guidelines to reflect the beer for which they were developed. Without someone noting and pointing out particular commercial examples and attributes there would never be change. Same goes for trends at homebrewing competition, if people are brewing and entering Black IPAs it is certainly worth discussing adding the style when the guidelines are revised. I remember suggesting Freeminer Deep Shaft to be added to the FES style the last time the guidelines were updated, I believe it was already in the works, but IMO the feedback helped those working on the guidelines to enact the change.

Let's take the wayback machine to the 1999 guidelines...how does the diacetyl level appear...
http://www.bjcp.org/styleguide16.php
Aroma - low to none
Flavor  - medium to none
Sounds about right to me when describing the Guinness FES which is now distributed in the US based on the 4 pack of beers I purchased.

Anything else ya wanna stress about Professor ;D
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2010, 03:34:56 pm »
I just picked up a 4pack and really really like it. I'd pick this over traditional Guinness. In fact I'd like to brew something similar also.

Expensive. But, the sourish roasty hoppy bitterness makes it all worth while.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2010, 03:36:12 pm »
I just picked up a 4pack and really really like it. I'd pick this over traditional Guinness. In fact I'd like to brew something similar also.

Expensive. But, the sourish roasty hoppy bitterness makes it all worth while.

The sour part is the secret.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2010, 12:24:22 pm »
When I want a Guinness, this is the one I seek out....the others....meh
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline toddhert

• Cellarman
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2010, 09:29:42 pm »
I like regular Guinness on draft. I like American stouts too. This tastes like any brand of American stout with a drop of Guinness in it. It tastes good, but I was really disappointed. I'd rather have a locally brewed stout or a regular Guinness draft.