Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Auto siphon cracking  (Read 12090 times)

Offline dano14041

• Brewer
Auto siphon cracking
« on: November 16, 2010, 09:21:55 am »
I was cleaning my auto siphon this weekend and noticed that there are several cracks in the bottom 2" - 3". Has anyone else had problems like this? I have only used it on 3 batches (and it seems to be working OK). Maybe I just need to relax.  ;)

Thanks!
Dano
Tulsa, OK

Offline Gary Glass

• Brewer
Re: Auto siphon cracking
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 09:52:33 am »
I've probably gone through four auto siphons, all of which developed cracks after just a few uses.  Eventually they fall apart.  I've tried a variety of different cleaners in hopes of avoiding the cracks, but nothing has worked for me.  I've given up on using them.
Gary Glass
Longmont, Colorado

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 09:57:37 am »
If you keg and thus have a CO2 tank available, using one of the orange carboy caps and GENTLE  pressure of CO2 is a great way to start a siphon. Care is necessary as the carboy can break from internal pressure, but if you just crack the CO2 valve a hair you should have no problem. Acey easy.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 10:11:50 am »
Yes, after too many broken auto-siphons I switched to a stainless racking cane.  I use it with an orange carboy cap like Mark mentions, except I also use a sterile filter and blow into it to get the siphon started.  But using CO2 will help prevent oxidation if you're concerned about it.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 10:22:31 am »
I am working on putting the seal from the plastic cane onto a stainless cane, but so far I haven't found exactly the right fit.  They glue the thing to the bottom of the plastic cane and that makes it difficult to get off intact.  I seem to have enough car parts around that I should be able to make something appropriate.  As soon as I do I'll post a picture.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline dano14041

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 11:23:59 am »
I don't have a kegging system, yet. I am looking into them trying to find the best deal I can. LHBS has a "kit" with used 5 gal keg, 5lb CO2 tank, gauges, hoses, connector and picnic tap for $210. But I haven't convinced myself that is the best buy yet.
Tulsa, OK

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 12:28:33 pm »
I am working on putting the seal from the plastic cane onto a stainless cane, but so far I haven't found exactly the right fit.  They glue the thing to the bottom of the plastic cane and that makes it difficult to get off intact.  I seem to have enough car parts around that I should be able to make something appropriate.  As soon as I do I'll post a picture.

that sounds like a solution. I have snapped several where they curve.
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 01:30:18 pm »
Auto siphons are ill-designed.  Way too fragile.

Get one of these.  They are foolproof.
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=29128&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 01:36:24 pm »
Auto siphons are ill-designed.  Way too fragile.

Get one of these.  They are foolproof.
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=29128&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse
Based on this, "NOTE: Not for use with salt water aquariums or copper eroding chemicals", I wouldn't use it to siphon beer, only wort.  But the pic shows one with a plastic-looking fitting at the end, that might be fine if you can sanitize it.

I've had beers that were exposed to copper briefly (less than 1 minute), it was a very noticeable off flavor.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline pweis909

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 02:13:13 pm »
I also broke about 3 auto-siphons befor swtiching to a SS racking cane, which will probably last forever.  As I use bucket fermenters most of the time, the carboy cap/sterile siphon starter approach is out. I just needed to practice starting a siphon a couple times, and I've never looked back.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 02:39:42 pm »
I just fill the tube I am syphoning with sanitizer solution and let that run out into a separate bucket. it starts the syphon no problem. it works great
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline ryan6458

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 08:55:34 pm »
Weird. I'm on my second auto siphon in about six years!  :o And believe me, I brew an ass-load of beer. :) Are you cleaning it with super hot water or something? I always leave the hose attached so I don't break the cane. Then I just cut it off when it's time for new tubing.

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 10:09:18 pm »
I'm done with plastic auto siphons.  I've been through 4 auto siphons in the last 3 years.  Nope, not gonna buy another one.  I don't use hot water, so what ever my technique is for cleaning them is probably what's making them break them (and I'm not about to change that).  I now use a stainless steel racking crane, because I know that's not going to crack.
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline ryan6458

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 10:22:34 pm »
Maybe I've just been lucky. I'm pretty hard on my brewing equipment. LOL. Now the EASY siphon is a P.O.S.

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 12:34:30 am »
The tubes cracked when removing the tubing. I'm not convinced that leaving the tubing attached is sure to keeps bacteria from developing.

Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/