Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 8 Gallon SS Brew Kettle  (Read 12546 times)

Offline geobrewer

• Cellarman
    • GeoBrewer
8 Gallon SS Brew Kettle
« on: November 17, 2010, 01:04:33 pm »
Hi All-

I'm a new homebrewer with 3 extract/mini-mash batches done so far. I'm already tired of trying to squeeze a full fermenter's worth of finished wort out of the 4 pots I have that barely add up to 5 gallons. So, I'm looking into purchasing this brew kettle:

http://morebeer.com/view_product/8419/103458/Heavy_Duty_Brew_Kettle_-_With_Ball_Valve_32_Quart_8_Gallon

I've seen a nearly identical kettle going for about $30 less on another site, but that one uses weldless bulkheads, while this one has them both welded to the pot. I know the benefits of going with welded connections, but there will still be a number of threaded connections involved (the 1/2" ball valve, thermometer, probably a hose barb...).

My question is, are the two welds worth the extra cash given that they won't eliminate all of the nooks and cranies that will still exist? What would you do?

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: 8 Gallon SS Brew Kettle
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 01:54:56 pm »
I hate to say this but even an 8 gallon pot is a little small, but not undoable.

I had a 7.5 gallon pot to start, filled it to within 1/2 inch from the top and still never ended up with 5 gallons in the fermenter.  I now have the 10 Gallon pot from Northern Brewer and I love it...my brew day is a little less streeful  I got mine with a ball valve and thermometer ( probably didn't need this as much ).  I set all my recipes to have 6 gallons left at the end of boil, 5.5 gallons to the fermenter and 5 gallons to the keg.

NB has a 10 gallon w/ ball valve for $185.

Good luck with your new kettle purchase.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 01:56:07 pm »
What would you do?

I'd get a 10 gallon instead - perfect for worry free 5 gallon batches
Joe

Offline JKL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 02:05:42 pm »
I hate to say this but even an 8 gallon pot is a little small, but not undoable.

I had a 7.5 gallon pot to start, filled it to within 1/2 inch from the top and still never ended up with 5 gallons in the fermenter.  I now have the 10 Gallon pot from Northern Brewer and I love it...my brew day is a little less streeful  I got mine with a ball valve and thermometer ( probably didn't need this as much ).  I set all my recipes to have 6 gallons left at the end of boil, 5.5 gallons to the fermenter and 5 gallons to the keg.

NB has a 10 gallon w/ ball valve for $185.

Good luck with your new kettle purchase.

+1

I have an 8 gal pot and soooo wish it was bigger (insert joke here).  It'll get the job done but you really got to watch it at the start of the boil.
-J.K.L.

Offline geobrewer

• Cellarman
    • GeoBrewer
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 02:19:27 pm »
Yeah, I know, I've gone over the whole 10 gallon vs. 8 gallon thing in my head, and I know that size does matter The thing is, the particular 8 gallon kettle I'm looking at has welded on fittings. All of the affordable 10 gallon kettles I've seen have weldless fittings.

So I guess my question can be modified. Which is the best buy out of these three options?:
  • 8 gallon SS kettle with welded fittings
    8 gallon SS kettle with weldless fittings for $30 less
    10 gallon SS kettle with weldless fittings for $25 more

I'm thinking your going to say the last one.

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 02:20:47 pm »
get the 10gal pot... and don't spend the extra cash on welded... weldless is just as good and if you ever have to, you can break it down if needed.... doubt that will ever happen though....
Phoenix, AZ

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 02:25:27 pm »

10 Gallon, weldless.
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 02:34:36 pm »
Definitely 10 gallons. Even with my 10 gallon pot, I come close to boilovers all the time.
Mark Gres

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 02:55:38 pm »
Anti-foam agents like Fermcap-S during the boil may help reduce your chance of a boil over, but you're better off spending a little more for the 10 gallon kettle (weldless).  It will more than pay for itself in terms of less worrying, less wasted wort, and less clean-up.  Spend the little extra, if you can.

You need the extra room to handle boiling all the hot liquor beforehand (if doing AG), as well as all the initial (pre-boil) wort volume (which can be significant)--especially since it expands and boils.

"Double the volume" of your final "batch size" to get your kettle volume is a good "rule-of-thumb."

I do 10 gallon batches in 20 gallon kettle (with Fermcap-S in the boil)--no boilovers. 

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 03:30:38 pm »
+1

10 gallon is the way to go.

Bigger is always better when it comes to kettles and tuns.  8)

Welcome to the AHA.

Good Luck!

Ron Price

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 06:38:48 pm »
So I guess my question can be modified. Which is the best buy out of these three options?:
  • 8 gallon SS kettle with welded fittings
    8 gallon SS kettle with weldless fittings for $30 less

Yep, I'm not changing my recommendation - go for the 10
Joe

Offline geobrewer

• Cellarman
    • GeoBrewer
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 08:48:49 pm »
Not to complicate this any more... (well... yes just to complicate this a little more), here's the NB 10 gallon kettle, which goes for $230 (with 1/2" ball valve and thermometer):
http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/brewing-equipment/brew-kettles/megapots/10-gallon-megapot.html

And here's a 15 gallon kettle from Home Brew Stuff that actually costs $10 less:
http://www.homebrewstuff.com/servlet/the-217/15-gallon-60-qt/Detail

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2010, 02:34:27 am »
weldless works great for me. I used an 8 gallon morebeer kettle for years (until my last batch, even!). 8 gallons is just not big enough for a 5 gallon batch when you're brewing all-grain (and you're using lots of wort-absorbing hops). Getting 7.5 gallons of wort to a boil was messy, to say the least.... I wish I could go back in time and just start off with a 10 gallon kettle.

Offline stlaleman

• Assistant Brewer
    • Penrose Picobrewery
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2010, 04:32:12 am »
The Penrose Kettle is 16+ gallons for 139.99 shipping included! Stainless with a half inch ball valve welded on.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2010, 06:32:39 am »
Not to complicate this any more... (well... yes just to complicate this a little more), here's the NB 10 gallon kettle, which goes for $230 (with 1/2" ball valve and thermometer):
http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/brewing-equipment/brew-kettles/megapots/10-gallon-megapot.html

Yup...this is the exact one I have.  If you want to save a couple bucks, you could drop the thermometer.  It's nice to have but not a necessity.  Good construction on the kettle, solid, and it has an aluminum layer sandwiched on the bottom between SS for better heat dispersion.  I picked mine up with a 10% off coupon for the 10th anniversary of Brewing TV ( now expired ).  With Black Friday and Christmas coming up, they may have some discounts available.  If you're not in a big rush, wait it out a few weeks ( sorry Jake ) and see what they offer.
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo