Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sweet Orange Peel vs. Navel Orange Zest  (Read 3163 times)

Offline hopalong

• 1st Kit
  • Hopalong Cassidy
Sweet Orange Peel vs. Navel Orange Zest
« on: November 18, 2010, 09:47:39 am »
I am brewing a batch of a Belgian Pale Ale and I pulled off one gallon to use to experiment with different spices.  My plan is to use different spices, or spice combinations, in the six or so 12 oz bottles I get from this one gallon experiment.  My question is has anyone used both sweet orange peel and the zest from a domestic orange in different brews and could tell me what differences they noted in the tastes?  Thanks
May Town Brewery, Meadery, and Gruit Works

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Sweet Orange Peel vs. Navel Orange Zest
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 11:03:52 am »
just off the top of my head I would think there would be a difference between using orange peel (Dry or fresh) and zest as the white pith wouild (I think) contributes some flavor componants of it's own. other than that I have no idea
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline hopalong

• 1st Kit
  • Hopalong Cassidy
Re: Sweet Orange Peel vs. Navel Orange Zest
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 11:13:14 am »
Thanks, for reply.  I agree about the pith.  The zester that I use only takes the very outside of the peel and does not get down to the pith.  Also, in my original I did not mention that the way that I will add the various spices is to boil them and make a small amout of "tea" to add to the test bottles.  In other words, the spices will be boiled - similar to adding to the last 5 minutes of the wort boil.
May Town Brewery, Meadery, and Gruit Works