Author Topic: I feel guilty  (Read 1923 times)

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
Re: I feel guilty
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2010, 01:36:17 PM »
Why not just call the guy and explain the situation to him? Get your corny back and explain to him how expensive these kegs are and how a $40 deposit doesn't even begin to cover the cost of the keg, how breweries have to charge mroe for their beer to cover stolen kegs and how it puts a financial strain, especially on small breweries. I bet the guy has no idea that the keg he had was technically stolen. That's what I would do at this point.

Like I said, it's a friend, of a friend, of a friend.  If he shows at HBC meeting Sunday, I will.  But other than that, my guess is he'll just do the same thing with someone else. 

I'll get it back to Juneau somehow. 

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2010, 02:13:57 PM »
all though it would cost a few dollars, and the distributor doesn't want to help (i think you said he accused you of being a thief) you could just send a letter, tell them that you came across it and offer to buy it (maybe share the cost amongst your club.)  that should alleviate your guilt.  the other thing would be to find a pub that has the stuff on tap, and take it there.  that will get it in to the distribution process i would think
Don AHA member

Offline kerneldustjacket

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2010, 09:07:58 AM »
No need to feel guilty...just think of it like this: had it fallen into the hands of someone less honest than you, it might have zero chance to return to it's rightful owners.
If anything, you've proven that you care enough to do what's right...
John Wilson
Savannah Brewers League
Savannah, GA

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2010, 12:57:35 PM »
Why not just call the guy and explain the situation to him? Get your corny back and explain to him how expensive these kegs are and how a $40 deposit doesn't even begin to cover the cost of the keg, how breweries have to charge mroe for their beer to cover stolen kegs and how it puts a financial strain, especially on small breweries. I bet the guy has no idea that the keg he had was technically stolen. That's what I would do at this point.

Like I said, it's a friend, of a friend, of a friend.  If he shows at HBC meeting Sunday, I will.  But other than that, my guess is he'll just do the same thing with someone else. 

I'll get it back to Juneau somehow. 

So, you ask that friend, to get that friend to ask the other friend's phone number.  ;)
Keith Y.

Vote Jonathan Fuller for Governing Committee!

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2010, 01:14:22 PM »
Kind of off thread, by simular:

I needed a sankey keg and spotted one at the local metal recycler while there on other business.  I purchased the keg from the recycler at scrap stainless per pound price, and have a receipt for the purchase.  The keg is stamped wiith a mega-brewery's name.  When I got it home it still had the spear installed, a CO2 charge on it, and some stale dregs left in it.

I've felt good about it since I paid and got a receipt.  But, now since I've read this thread I'm wondering if it is really my keg.

Any thoughts?
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2010, 01:18:35 PM »
Although there's no way to know if the scrap yard acquired the keg legally, that's the assumption you kinda have to make.  But if I was guessing, I'd guess that whoever they bought it from didn't get it legally.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • View Profile
    • BrewArk
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2010, 01:47:51 PM »
Kind of off thread, by simular:

I needed a sankey keg and spotted one at the local metal recycler while there on other business.  I purchased the keg from the recycler at scrap stainless per pound price, and have a receipt for the purchase.  The keg is stamped wiith a mega-brewery's name.  When I got it home it still had the spear installed, a CO2 charge on it, and some stale dregs left in it.

I've felt good about it since I paid and got a receipt.  But, now since I've read this thread I'm wondering if it is really my keg.

Any thoughts?
If you're catholic - go ahead & feel guilty.  If not, don't worry about it.
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na Zdraví

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2010, 02:11:14 PM »
If you're catholic - go ahead & feel guilty.  If not, don't worry about it.

I have a good friend who is Jewish and is married to a Japanese woman.  We kid him about getting to suffer from the best of both worlds, guilt and shame...

He works in the prosecuter's office and says don't sweat the keg thing, just keep brewing and sharing.

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2010, 06:34:17 PM »
We need to come up with a 3 step program to guilt free keg ownership:
1. Check legality if possible
2. Check liquor store or distributor
3. Call the brewery stamped on the keg to come get it.

After that - it's yours - guilt free.
Feel free to modify this it's only a draft 0.1a version.
The moral majority, is neither.

beveragebob

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2010, 06:49:22 PM »
I say get it back to the rightful owner no matter how. They paid top dollar for it. There's a new program for those breweries that can afford it where all of their kegs are accounted for and tagged with GPS . It IS a big deal. With profit margins so tight, breweries do not need another loss venue. I say if you want a "real" brewery keg, go to Sabco and order one or like DC said scrap yard. I ain't preaching but, it DOES effect someone at the end of the day in a bad way. Do the right thing. 

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2010, 07:14:18 PM »
I say get it back to the rightful owner no matter how. They paid top dollar for it. There's a new program for those breweries that can afford it where all of their kegs are accounted for and tagged with GPS . It IS a big deal. With profit margins so tight, breweries do not need another loss venue. I say if you want a "real" brewery keg, go to Sabco and order one or like DC said scrap yard. I ain't preaching but, it DOES effect someone at the end of the day in a bad way. Do the right thing. 

I'm just saying if you can't get the retailer, distributors or brewery interested in getting it back to the brewery - then ???

beveragebob

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2010, 07:29:01 PM »
beerocd, then call the brewery and tell them the deal. They'll figure out a way to get what they own back.

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2010, 07:34:48 PM »
beerocd, then call the brewery and tell them the deal. They'll figure out a way to get what they own back.

I had the brewery in the equation already. Look at it again. I think you just feel like arguing with someone.   ;)

beveragebob

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2010, 12:45:03 AM »
No argument here.

Offline kgs

• Brewmaster
  • San Francisco, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2010, 06:26:49 AM »
No need to feel guilty...just think of it like this: had it fallen into the hands of someone less honest than you, it might have zero chance to return to it's rightful owners.
If anything, you've proven that you care enough to do what's right...

Exactly, what you call feeling guilty I call feeling responsible. Good for you.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member