Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beginner's Post, Seeking Vertan's Advice  (Read 2520 times)

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Beginner's Post, Seeking Vertan's Advice
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2010, 08:26:59 am »
Checked out our local brew shop. The proprietor is going to secure a starter kit for me so I can support our local business. She walked myself and a buddy through the whole process and informed us that she grinds grains for free and said there is in fact a club here in town.

I now have my finger on the pulse of local home brewing. I'll will be sure to keep you all updated as this story developes.

Vertan is German for a whale's vagina. ( I hope Ron Burgandy's sense of humor is welcome)

Good on you. I did the same thing. I could have saved some $$ buying off the internet, but spending my money locally is preferred. We have a booming little store here in Bethlehem (Keystone Homebrew Supply excuse the plug) and the people are very knowledgeable and very helpful. Plus, if something is amiss (like a bad thread on a tap) you run back and exchange it without two more shipping charges and another week. Plus, the yeast and hops come out of the fridge and are still cold when you put them in your fridge at home. Plus, they have tastings......yum. And they support the brew club which meets right next door, in fact, most of the people working in the store belong to the club..... and so on and so forth......

I'll order on line if I can save a LOT of money, or an item is not available....but I always try to spend my money in town first.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2010, 09:19:27 am »
Checked out our local brew shop. The proprietor is going to secure a starter kit for me so I can support our local business. She walked myself and a buddy through the whole process and informed us that she grinds grains for free and said there is in fact a club here in town.

I now have my finger on the pulse of local home brewing. I'll will be sure to keep you all updated as this story developes.

Vertan is German for a whale's vagina. ( I hope Ron Burgandy's sense of humor is welcome)

I'll order on line if I can save a LOT of money, or an item is not available....but I always try to spend my money in town first.

Words to live by.  Really.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2010, 12:53:49 pm »
BTW who is this "Vertan"? Never seen him/her post before... ::)

You totally stole my idea. I was going to say, "Don't take Vertan's advice, he only brews martian beer."