Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing This Weekend - 11/19 Edition  (Read 5721 times)

beveragebob

Re: What's Brewing This Weekend - 11/19 Edition
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2010, 05:27:06 pm »
Have a great trip Euge and be safe on the road.

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2010, 05:58:08 pm »
I was hoping to get some work done in my beehives today, but the girls let me know that that was not what they wanted, in no uncertain terms.  No amount of smoke would calm them. Something had them feeling cranky.  I don't know what.  So I spent the morning extracting honey from some supers I pulled earlier in the week.

Now I'm going to watch The Sunshine Challenge awards ceremony live on streaming video.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

beveragebob

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2010, 06:42:59 pm »
punatic, what do your bees specialize in? Do you have enough to harvest to do the commercial thing? I remember one of the many times I've been to Hawaii, I've always come back with a bottle of Macadamia Honey Mead. 

Offline punatic

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2010, 06:46:58 pm »
punatic, what do your bees specialize in? Do you have enough to harvest to do the commercial thing? I remember one of the many times I've been to Hawaii, I've always come back with a bottle of Macadamia Honey Mead. 

Whatever is blooming nearby.  Extracting albizia blossom honey now.  Also get lehua in the spring.  Mac Nut after that.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline punatic

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2010, 06:49:21 pm »
Doing due diligence/research on the pro thing.

AHA Life Member #33907

beveragebob

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2010, 06:52:18 pm »
Good Luck! There is allot of value in what is produced in one of the most beautiful places in the world.

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2010, 09:14:14 pm »
Just a tiny bit of "research" (at the moment I am quaffing a Pliny the Elder bottled on 11/11/10... the only thing better would be Vinnie coming to my house with a keg), and I'm going to cross my fingers and buy the grain and yeast for an oatmeal stout to brew Thanksgiving morning, since we're going to a church member's house so I'm not cooking this year. Ye olde alewife plans to sit on the deck and read while the stout brews.

Why fingers are crossed: I want to toast some of the oatmeal and our oven has been on the fritz for weeks with KitchenAid people delivering the wrong part, blah blah blah. I could do it on the range but I doubt it would be that even. All said and done, I'm glad we had planned to go elsewhere for Turkey Day... I'd be in knots if I were waiting for a working oven!
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2010, 10:39:39 pm »
Back from Portland . . .

I made it to the Hair of the Dog dock sale Saturday morning, picked up some Matt and some Doggie Claws, then went to Horse Brass for a pint and a late breakfast, then Cascade Barrel House for a few samples.

No brewing, but it was a good weekend nonetheless :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2010, 11:18:07 pm »
Have a great trip Euge and be safe on the road.

Thanks man! I'll be sure to slow it down around Junction even though the limit is 80 mph... ;D Or is it 85...? Cruise control and Jamil is all I need.

Back from Portland . . .

I made it to the Hair of the Dog dock sale Saturday morning, picked up some Matt and some Doggie Claws, then went to Horse Brass for a pint and a late breakfast, then Cascade Barrel House for a few samples.

No brewing, but it was a good weekend nonetheless :)

What are Matt and Doggie Claws?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

beveragebob

« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2010, 11:27:19 pm »
Beers from Hair Of the Dog Brewing CO....me thinks

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2010, 11:37:04 pm »
What are Matt and Doggie Claws?
Matt is a 12.5% beer made with munich and smoked malts, and aged in bourbon barrels.  The one I opened is really flat unfortunately, but it is delicious.  I plan to age the rest and see what happens.

Doggie Claws is a barleywine, about 11% abv.  It's usually a great beer, but I haven't had this year's yet.

If you get a chance to try any of the Hair of the Dog beers, I highly recommend them :)

Although one dig against Alan - how do you have a dock sale at your pub and NOT open the taps and let people buy beers?  They don't open until 2, I had places to be and couldn't wait 4 hours to try peach infused Fred (although I wanted to).  It made for good business at Cascade down the street though, every one in there when they opened had come from the Hair of the Dog dock sale.  :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2010, 11:38:43 pm »
I've never seen Pliny the Elder around. And some nice stuff comes through here. We get the Avery-Cilurzo Collaboration not Litigation but no Pliny.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2010, 06:58:14 am »
I was hoping to get some work done in my beehives today, but the girls let me know that that was not what they wanted, in no uncertain terms.  No amount of smoke would calm them. Something had them feeling cranky.  I don't know what.  So I spent the morning extracting honey from some supers I pulled earlier in the week.

Now I'm going to watch The Sunshine Challenge awards ceremony live on streaming video.

Did you see blatz picking up 2 golds and 3 bronze medals?  Wow!
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2010, 09:50:49 am »

That's awesome, congrats blatz! :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2010, 10:37:04 am »

I did see. Just goes to show ya - Blatz can make a good beer! ;)

That was the most subdued Sunshine Challenge awards ceremony I've ever seen.  Was everybody hungover?

AHA Life Member #33907