Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Feline Chronic Renal Failure  (Read 2817 times)

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Feline Chronic Renal Failure
« on: November 18, 2010, 04:12:32 pm »
Anyone got any experience with dealing with this?

It looks like one of my two elder cats (14 years old) is going to be diagnosed with chronic renal failure. The amount of blah I feel about this is epic and his sister is confused what's happening since they've never been apart or unwell and I've had them since they were 8 weeks old.

blah.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Feline Chronic Renal Failure
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 04:18:28 pm »
I'm really sorry to hear that! it's always hard to think about losing a loved family member. I don't know much about the disease but here is a place to start.

http://www.felinecrf.com/

Just scanned the page and it looks like there are paliative treatment options

My puppy dog of 14 years passed away from cancer a couple of years ago and I am still not over it. I took what steps I could to make his last years comfortable.

I would think that his sister is going to need a lot of love and understanding. cats will misbehave in situations like this (Peeing on things etc) and it is important not to punish them for it (at least I think it is). lots of love for the both of them.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 05:02:27 pm »
Sucks man. One of the hardest thing I ever did was put the best dog I had ever owned down. Really, really hard deal. I feel for you.

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 05:09:43 pm »
I have no idea what that is. But I sure do feel for you. Nothing is worse than a sick pet. Had an episode with Porkchop back in the winter, and it's agonizing. We're all pulling for you and your cat.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 12:30:04 am »
I lost a really good feline friend, Casper, to this 14 years ago.  He was only ten.  We were able to keep him going for a while by giving him fluids under his skin.  It really bothered me to do it, but Casper was a good sport and took it in stride.  His sister and litter-mate Lili had a hard time with what was going on.

I understand your blah, and feel for you. 

It's been 14 years and I still really miss Casper a lot.  I take comfort in knowing that when I get to the Pearly Gates he'll be waiting there for me - first in line.  I really loved that cat.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 05:02:15 am »
Anyone got any experience with dealing with this?

It looks like one of my two elder cats (14 years old) is going to be diagnosed with chronic renal failure.

Yes we have plenty of firsthand experience.  Our cats get bloodwork after age 10 once per year, after 12 its every 6 months its part of a through the geriatric work-up. All of the older cats show some signs in the blood test but using Hills cat food(s) has slowed the process, its just a mattter of time with most cats.The hard part is to catch it early which helps prevent damage to the organs.

How are the  BUN/Creatinine: numbers?  How many repeat test have been done? 

How is the cat`s quality of life? Some owners do give sub-q fluids. Kidney compromise isn't a death sentence if treated in time.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 07:41:06 am »
Sorry to hear about that Drew.

It's very difficult to deal with. I can feel your sadness.  I hade a mini schnauzer for fifteen years that I had to put down. It was the hardest thing I ever had to do. He was my best freind, my traveling partner and a great joy to be with. He was dubbed "The road dog" by my band mates. He traveled with me and my band from Canada to Key West. Everyone loved him.  His memory is permanantly etched in my mind.

R.I.P. Reggie...

I wish the best for your pet.
Ron Price

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 08:02:25 am »
Sorry to hear this. I wish the best for you and your faithful friend. These situations are indeed agonizing. I recently almost lost my Gordon Setter to the Iams salmonella cluster****. Agonizing doesn't come close to describing the feelings I had knowing that I continued (unknowingly) feeding salmonella tainted food to my sickened dog.
Godspeed.
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 09:28:35 am »
Drew, I know how much you care for your cats.  I'm really sorry to hear this.  I don't have any info for you, but here's hoping you can find things that will extend your cat's time as much as possible.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 10:24:10 pm »
Hey guys, sorry.. had a busy and weird set of times here.

Fat cat is comfortably in his bed right next to the dish of renal cat food (christ, does it have to stink so much?) and his big bowl of water that he guards jealously.

He seems to be ok.. just his usual "I rest here all day" sort of self. The BUN numbers came back better on his external blood work than the vet had expected, so he's in meh shape for now. Just can't get him to take the damn anti-biotics the vet prescribed. Stupid cat will eat anything, and I mean anything, but he won't eat a damn pill pocket.

Of course, I'm also in the phase of "s***, is acting differently? Does this mean a problem? damnit"

Between this, one of the dog's bad backs and other medical stuff, I need a beer!
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 06:45:32 am »
Between this, one of the dog's bad backs and other medical stuff, I need a beer!

...or two, or three, or.......
Joe

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 09:15:59 am »
Great news, Drew!  We've had good luck getting our cats to take pills by sticking he pill in a little ball of cream cheese.  OUr cats (and dogs) will do almost anything for cream cheese!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2010, 10:22:02 am »
We used to have a large orange tom that had a laudry list of health problems and I got fairly good at giving him pills.  Here's what worked for me:
kneel over top of him
with your thumb & index finger, open his mouth - slide them into the mouth behind those big nasty teeth and pry open
lift the head slightly & pop the pill down the throat
close the mouth and rub the throat a little to encourage him to swallow - maybe even followed by a little blast of air in the face

He fooled me a number of times, spitting the pill out as he ran away, but I got him to take it more often than not.

Eggroll (the shelter named him, not me) was more like a room-mate than a pet and he's still missed.  The vet said a healthy weight for a cat his size was 18 lbs.  One summer he was given a steroid shot to get over an infection and ballooned to 28 lbs over the next couple years.

Drew, glad to hear he's doing better..
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2010, 11:57:11 am »
I did a goole search on giving cats, pills. I thought this might be helpful to you. Glad to hear there is some progress.

http://www.jokefile.co.uk/numerical_order/1132.html
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2010, 12:29:12 pm »
Holy cow Batman!  Was Eggroll a cat, or a catamount?
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907