Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: For you brewers who are broke as I am.  (Read 1765 times)

Offline JKL

• Assistant Brewer
For you brewers who are broke as I am.
« on: November 19, 2010, 07:55:20 am »
Two weeks ago my job dropped a bomb on me by cutting a chunk out my commission percentage.  Not knowing exactly how much I'm really losing yet but it looks to be around about 20% of my pay.  OUCH!  Sure I'm mad, my attitude is horrible, but on the other hand, I guess I'm glad I still have a job? 

Saying that, this is not gonna break me but that money was pretty much all of our "cushion"/ savings and most important brewing money.  I've started putting my resume out again but I tell you there isn't much out there.  I've already started to cut back on everything until I find another job.

Yesterday, while doing nothing here at work, I started thinking I should start selling some old stuff on ebay which eventually led me to the newspaper classifieds and craigslist. 

(THIS IS WHERE IT GETS BREWING RELATED)

I quickly found out that I've been missing out.  I couldn't believe the things people give away.  last week some guy gave away a 5 yr old stainless Samsung fridge because it wasn't cooling well.  I'm kinda handy and what I've realized that if the compressor works everything else is somewhat cheap to fix on refrigerators.  Another lady was giving away a 3 year old fridge that she paid $1500 for the same reason.  The best deal I found was a couple bought a new house and are renovating the kitchen with all new appliances.  Decent looking fridge, Stove, Dishwasher, ok looking gas grill, and a great looking chest freezer!!.....all working and all free....just pick it up.  I'm hoping they call me back today. 

Just saying if you keep your eye out, people with money give away good stuff all the time.

-J.K.L.

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
Re: For you brewers who are broke as I am.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 08:06:12 am »
Sorry to hear about your employment woes man!!!!!  Keep your head up & your ear to the track. You'll be back in the groove before you know it!!

I agree with ya.  I can't believe the stuff, good stuff, people just want to be rid of.  I guess it works great for frugal people like me!!!  Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline dano14041

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 10:15:18 am »
Wow! I have been scouring Craigslist and haven't had a find like that! Good luck with the call back!
Tulsa, OK

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 10:30:39 am »
Sorry to hear about your job issue.  We are living through some very tough times right now.

Nice find with the fridge...it just goes to show that if you have the time you'll be surprised at what you can find.

Good Luck!
Ron Price

Offline JKL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 10:40:01 am »
I just got a call back from another guy (not the one I've been waiting for ) from yesterday.  He has a 3 year old side by side that quit cooling on him.  His wife wanted a new one so of course he bought one and this one is just sitting there.  He wants $100 for it.  I'm going to look at it on Sunday.  Hopefully it's a defrost problem and I get it for about $75 put less than $100 in parts in it and sell it for $500. 
-J.K.L.   

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 11:16:41 am »
I know some people with fairly high paying jobs who do this sort of thing on the side. They do very well at it too. Kinda like a hobby/obsession for them and they make money to boot.

Sorry to hear about the pay cut. Hopefully it is just "temporary" but my experience is if they figure out you'll work for less then that's what they'll pay.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 11:50:41 am »
I feel your pain.  I took a 45% pay cut back in March of 2009 and just got it back 2 months ago.  With the next paycheck I'll be back to having a cushion.  If it weren't for bulk grain purchases and a freezer full of hops when the ax fell I would have had to almost quit brewing.  As it was I learned to brew with dry yeasts with good results and I had to drop a lot of my "research'" purchases.  But I also have brewed a lot more reasonable strength beers that I find I enjoy more than the 1.120 dopplebock or Imperial stouts that I used to have on tap all the time.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 06:01:20 pm »
Refrigeration is one of the hardest DIY nuts to crack. Most people never get that far. Professional repairs make no economic sense. So, they go out and get a new one, and instead of paying the removal fee, they try to get a few bucks for the old one.

If you know how to work on them, you can pick them up VERY cheap. Never pay what they're asking, unless it's working 100% and clean. OK, I paid full whack for Fridgie and he was dirty, but he was working well  and only $50....... So, there is definitely a dollar to be made there.

Heck, by the sound of it you may be able to fill the gap your a-hole employer dug for you.....

Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....