General Category > General Homebrew Discussion

Carbonation Problems

(1/3) > >>

BBC:
I've brewed and bottled five Midwest extract kits and have never had a problem with the beer carbonating the bottle.

I have a friend that just brewed his first batch.  He bottled three weeks ago from tomorrow (Thanksgiving) and he tried one today.  He said that it's flat.  I asked him what temps he stored the bottles at and he kept it around 70 degrees.  What do you think his problem could be?  He told me that he added his priming sugar just as the kit directions stated to do so.  Is there any way to save his batch from being flat?

tubercle:
Need more info

Were the bottles primed individually?
 Was the priming sugar poured into the wort and stirred?
 Was the priming sugar boiled with water prior to mixing?
 What was the gravity?
 What was the aging time?
 Was cold crashing involved?
 What was the batch size?
 How much priming sugar?
 What kind of priming sugar?

BBC:

--- Quote from: tubercle on November 25, 2009, 05:30:23 PM ---Need more info

Were the bottles primed individually? No, it was added to the bottling bucket.
 Was the priming sugar poured into the wort and stirred?  I don't think he stirred it but I'm not totally sure.
 Was the priming sugar boiled with water prior to mixing?  Yes
 What was the gravity? Don't think he measured.
 What was the aging time? One week in the primary, two in the secondary and tomorrow makes three in bottles.
 Was cold crashing involved? Crashing?
 What was the batch size? 5 Gallons
 How much priming sugar? 3/4 Cup
 What kind of priming sugar? Corn Sugar

--- End quote ---

As I mentioned, he claims to have followed the instructions exactly.  I've used only Midwest kits so far with the five batches I've brewed and have never had this issue.

tubercle:

Everything looks right.
Sorry, can't help. Just went past my level of expertise :'(

BBC:
Since his temps weren't too low for storage, the only other thing I could think is that his caps weren't sealed properly.  But that seems unlikely to me that the whole batch was improperly capped.  Has anyone else ever heard of someone not capping properly?

My ultimate question is, is this batch lost to flatness?  Is there anything he can do?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version