Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First Brew.....  (Read 2304 times)

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
First Brew.....
« on: November 21, 2010, 02:32:10 pm »
Well, today was my first brew day..... Got all the gear, got it all set up and got a nice fire going out in "the barn". Partial mash kit for an APA. Some grain, some dry, lotsa hops and a yeast bag that zipped to life to the point where I thought it would blow....

Note the cornies and CO2 on the side bench testing..... holding pressure for 49+ hours now...... 8)

Your's truly checking on the wort cooler.....

What's better than a guy brewing? TWO guys brewing. My buddy Dave is a long time brewer who said it had been too long. Plus the wife doesn't like him messing up the kitchen..... Well, bring your bucket and come play at my house. I happened to have a second burner.......

Well, they said aeration is to introduce O2 into the wort for the yeast...... You want O2? I got O2....... This baby be aerated with pure O2 for about 40 seconds....... 8)

Bucket is sitting in my office which is about 65-68ºF...... and now we wait......
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 03:05:35 pm by oscarvan »
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: First Brew.....
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 02:51:12 pm »
Copper pot...way cool!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 03:07:36 pm »
Copper pot...way cool!

Under $100 on eBay...It's an apple butter pot, nice thick copper, probably close to 100 years old. A few hours to get the gunk out of it. Someone had used it as a planter...... :o But in the and a half a jar of POR did the trick. I REALLY like it.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 03:27:03 pm »
It's really traditional, too.  Brewing kettles used to be known as "coppers".

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline scooter2374

• Cellarman
  • Highlands, NJ
    • Scotty's Homebrew blog
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 04:16:06 pm »
Great pics. Good luck with your brew
AHA member since '10

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 04:42:28 pm »
Well, two hours later......( I know, patience Grashopper) ....no bubbles, the little "hat" still sitting down on the tube..... so I tapped the airlock...... thought it was going to hit the ceiling..... we HAVE fermentation!!! I can see the water moving down, minutes away from the first beer fart..... this is COOL! Meanwhile the barn still smells like a brewery..... LOVE that smell.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 04:45:02 pm by oscarvan »

Offline scooter2374

• Cellarman
  • Highlands, NJ
    • Scotty's Homebrew blog
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 06:47:16 pm »
Well, two hours later......( I know, patience Grashopper) ....no bubbles, the little "hat" still sitting down on the tube..... so I tapped the airlock...... thought it was going to hit the ceiling..... we HAVE fermentation!!! I can see the water moving down, minutes away from the first beer fart..... this is COOL! Meanwhile the barn still smells like a brewery..... LOVE that smell.

I also love that smell. Nothing smells quite like that.
AHA member since '10

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 07:28:27 pm »

I also love that smell. Nothing smells quite like that.

after my very first brew, the folks at the LHBS asked me what I thought of the odor. I said it was wonderful. I think I passed a test ;-) The fragrances associated with brewing--from mashing through boiling to fermenting--are luscious, like breadbaking but more complex. 
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline myh3adhur7s

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 09:10:28 pm »
First i love the copper pot. truly an awesome piece of equipment. An congrates on the first batch. welcome to the addiction.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 09:34:39 pm »
First i love the copper pot. truly an awesome piece of equipment. An congrates on the first batch. welcome to the addiction obsession.

Fixed that for ya!

Congrats on the first brew!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 07:17:47 am »
Well, it ain't brew yet, but it's happily bubbling away right next to me....... 8) Even the cat is impressed... sniffing the fermenter with enthusiasm. Wonder if he would like.... no, no, bad......bad. ;D

Now, the kit recipe doesn't call for a secondary, but as I intend to become a "serious" brewer I am contemplating just that. Shall I rack to a carboy in a few days? I'm planning to keg, so logic says let it go 'till it's done plus a day or so and then keg right away....
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 07:21:18 am by oscarvan »

Offline Tim McManus

• Assistant Brewer
    • Haskell Brewing Company
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 07:28:00 am »

You're at a very precarious point now....it's going to be very difficult to stop starting at the bubbling airlock.  You may find yourself sitting in front of it for hours watching it.  I find it best to watch the airlock with a full beer in hand.  An empty beer is the only thing that gets me away from starting at it.  :)
Tim McManus
Haskell, NJ

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 09:43:43 am »
Now, the kit recipe doesn't call for a secondary, but as I intend to become a "serious" brewer I am contemplating just that. Shall I rack to a carboy in a few days? I'm planning to keg, so logic says let it go 'till it's done plus a day or so and then keg right away....

No secondary is necessary and in fact it's undesirable.  Thinking on that has changed a lot in the last few years.  If you're an AHA member, you can read what John Palmer has to say about it in the Ask the Experts section.  I almost always just leave mine in a bucket for 3-4 weeks, then keg.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2010, 07:20:13 pm »
You're at a very precarious point now....it's going to be very difficult to stop starting at the bubbling airlock.  You may find yourself sitting in front of it for hours watching it.  I find it best to watch the airlock with a full beer in hand.  An empty beer is the only thing that gets me away from starting at it.  :)

WATCHING it? How about sitting there SNIFFING it....... :o ;D