Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Looking to start kegging.  (Read 1552 times)

Offline stanleyjw

• 1st Kit
Looking to start kegging.
« on: November 20, 2010, 11:30:05 pm »
Hey I'm looking to start kegging and i'm in the market for a good, and small, refrigerator. I am not looking for a kegerator, just a normal fridge that I can store 2 soda kegs in and just use the picnic nozzles. Anyone know a good band and model that will fit kegs?

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Looking to start kegging.
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 06:40:19 am »
Just went through all this. The problem with the little fridges is the hump that the compressor lives in. By the time they are tall enough to put a shelf in and house a keg they are larger and not cheap. Go to Sears or Home Depot and bring a measuring tape. Cornies are just under two feet tall and 9 inches in diameter. Need four or so more inches on top for the connections and hoses.

If you can manage the space anywhere, there are TONS of used fridges on Craigslist. I got mine for $50. Took an hour to clean up, and I just threw most of the racks out. Saved the drawers as tubs in the workshop.

An added benefit is the freezer that comes with this. You can store the ice for your jockey box in it.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline evandy

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 07:22:41 am »
There are usually a dozen or so threads of people doing current conversions on homebrewtalk.com in the DIY section.  I would recommend heading over there and taking a look.  I have an older Sanyo model, which is (sadly) now discontinued, but there are several others that people are using, including a couple with an integrated lock, which is pretty nice.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 09:01:30 am »
I got my Sanyo on craigslist, so you might still find them.  I think there's a haier model that works, too.

I am finding, however, that I would like room for three kegs...
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 05:53:52 pm »
I bought a wine fridge at one time, about the size of a dorm fridge, but the hump allows me to place my buckket or carboy on the bottom, in front of the hump. (So there is plenty of room for two kegs).  It has a glass front, and when I am not fermenting in it, I put a few cases of beer in there. 

One thing to note, the original thermostat in the fridge only went down to about 50F.  I replaced the thermostat with a Johnson, and I can get down to 35F now with no problem. 

The brand name is an "ewave" and I got it new for about $125 to $150.

Good luck!
-- Wingnut - Cheers!

Offline stanleyjw

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 10:18:19 pm »
Thanks for the feedback.  I actually went to Lowes and bought a Frigidaire mini fridge that i'm going to convert soon.