Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Operation Fermentation Step two....  (Read 1889 times)

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
Operation Fermentation Step two....
« on: November 19, 2010, 05:47:10 pm »
Fridgie being comfortably installed in his new digs it was now time to get the plumbing going. Went to the brew store today and gave my left nut for a bunch of goodies.... 2 Cornies, CO2 bottle, regulator, hoses and barbs, and  a pair of through the door taps. Two more trips to the store (one for a bad poppet, one for a bad thread on the tap tail piece) and the whole thing is assembled and being bench tested....... (10 psi, valve off, overnight.) So far so good.

QUESTION.....

I forgot to ask at the store, is that a 5lb CO2 bottle? And, how many 5 gallon kegs can one expect to push with that?

Next is installing the whole lot on fridgie......

Meanwhile I have bought the goodies for the actual brewing process.....(step three) An American pale ale, partial extract kit.....

Sunday is brew day.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 05:50:41 pm by oscarvan »
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
Re: Operation Fermentation Step two....
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 07:15:57 am »
I forgot to ask at the store, is that a 5lb CO2 bottle?

It should have the tare weight (how much the bottle weighs when empty) stamped on the side.  Weigh it and subtract the tare weight and you have the weight of the CO2 inside.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 12:23:56 pm »
It'll push as many kegs as you want (within reason). But as you hook more kegs up it'll empty faster. I'd limit to 2 at first. With carbonation it ought to last a good six month depending on your consumption.

That looks like a 5# bottle to me.

I'm glad to see you jumping into this both feet first! Doing it right too. You might have been a candidate for the "whole brewery" advertised but I think it's more fun to build yer own.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 02:52:40 pm »
I use about one pound per keg.

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 06:34:17 am »
I'm glad to see you jumping into this both feet first! Doing it right too. You might have been a candidate for the "whole brewery" advertised but I think it's more fun to build yer own.

5 large? Don't think my other half would have bought that story...... With the fridge, the kegging setup and the first brew gear I'm under $500.

Meanwhile the bench test has held at 10 psi with no loss for 48 hours. I think we'll sign off on that one and release it to service.

And, today is BREWDAY! But that will be recorded in another section of this forum.

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 04:36:58 pm »
Brewed a batch today, fermenting as we speak..... (We HAVE bubbles.....) Meanwhile the boys are installed in their new home.... All I'm waiting for there is the UPS man with the drip tray.....

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 06:44:36 pm »
Niiiice!

Good job.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 07:08:45 pm »
The only addition that my insane mind is contemplating is a N2 bottle and stout tap.........