Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: relief valve problem!  (Read 2903 times)

Offline octess

• Cellarman
  • the octess project
relief valve problem!
« on: November 24, 2010, 08:11:12 pm »
Hi all!
today is kegging again! beautiful dunkelweizen which seems very promising...if I can get it to the end line!
after testing the seal on the kegs I realized that there is a leak on one of the keg's safety valve... anybody knows if it is OK to let it stand like that for about a week in a fridge before I can get replacement parts and fix the problem?
cheers!
Viva el art of brewing alchemy!

Offline IHBHS

• Assistant Brewer
    • Ice Harbor Brewing Co.
Re: relief valve problem!
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 09:14:57 pm »
i assume this pre carbonation, i would think you'll be fine
Ice Harbor Brewing Co.
www.iceharbor.com

Offline octess

• Cellarman
  • the octess project
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 09:33:18 pm »
you're right, it's pre-carbonation. I'm looking for insights or opinions on leaving the keg unpressurized (because of a small leak from the bad safety valve) for about a week in a fridge until I get the replacement valve.
thanks!

beveragebob

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 10:28:38 pm »
What type of relief valve is it? pull tab type or fixed? I'd be leary of refrigerating it under 02 conditions. I would leave it at ambient and try to put an airlock where the relief valve goes so, the yeast that is left in solution will keep the keg purged of 02.

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 09:04:14 am »
Is this the relief valve in the middle of the lid? Or in one of the posts?
Brew on

Offline octess

• Cellarman
  • the octess project
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 06:26:46 pm »
the relief valve is on the lid, the type you pull and twist sort of speak!
I've already put the keg in the fridge but the idea to leave it room temperature sounds logic as to keep the yeast active. but at the same time: what could really get in there and multiply to spoil the brew at 40F?!!

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 11:32:42 pm »
Have you tried tightening the valve?
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline octess

• Cellarman
  • the octess project
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 07:57:34 am »
yes indeed! took it off and apart, verified that everything is clean, put it back in place and still leaks. :'(

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 09:35:46 am »
If you're worried, hit the keg with some CO2 every day. It's heavier than air so it will tend to blanket the beer. Take some aluminum foil or a heavy baggie and wrap the valve to prevent much air from coming in.

And keep spare keg parts on hand for the future. This will happen again. If keg parts fail, disassemble and clean. If they still fail, replace them. Don't be cheap. One ruined batch Is worth more than a pile of spare parts.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 10:06:59 am »
Tubercle would throw in a couple of tablespoons of sugar to let the yeast create its own co2  blanket for a few days until the part gets fixed.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 11:58:38 am »
Remove the relief valve and check it for any foreign debris. You could also try another relief valve or some keg lube.
Brew on

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2010, 03:24:19 pm »
Of 7 kegs that I have, I have one that is acting exactly as Octess has described. 
I don't have a problem replacing it, but curiosity makes me ask:  How does a safety valve deteriorate over time?

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2010, 03:28:34 pm »
How does a safety valve deteriorate over time?

From use, just like anything else.  If you spew any beer out the top, it can stick and rub.  Any sort of particulates can cause abrasions.  Seals can wear down.  Springs can lose tension.  Most of the time it's not worth the effort to find out what part of the component failed; just toss the part and put in a new one (assuming it's not due to some gunk that can be cleaned out).
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline Tim McManus

• Assistant Brewer
    • Haskell Brewing Company
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2010, 04:33:36 pm »
I had a keg of Schwarzbier that I thought I had pressurized but apparently didn't but left it in the fridge for a week.  As long as you cool the beer down and blast it every so often with CO2, you shouldn't need to worry about much.

Oh, and order two relief valves--one as a replacement and the other as a warm spare.
Tim McManus
Haskell, NJ

Offline octess

• Cellarman
  • the octess project
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2010, 05:36:51 pm »
thanks all!
good idea to blow in a little CO2 every now and then to keep it somewhat shielded.
I'll try that 'til I get the pieces!