Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Anyone Watch 'Brew Masters' Last Night?  (Read 15556 times)

Offline abraxas

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Anyone Watch 'Brew Masters' Last Night?
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2010, 05:32:48 am »
Who doesn't like Sam?  I mean really, the guy is just as nice in person as he appears on various shows and interviews. I spent several hours with him on a beer tour and found him genuine.

I've watched a few interviews with him and he always seems friendly and very knowledgeable about the history of brewing.  He's got a little bit of surfer dude/stoner way about him but that's alright with me.  I've had a hard time trying to figure out the message board dislike I have seen of him and this makes me think he is either very genuine (or very marketing conscious):
And when Sam was approached to do the show Discovery Channel wanted it to be strictly about him and DFH, and Sam said he wouldn't do the show unless they highlighted other breweries.

I assume some people think his attention is just due to the fact that he makes extreme beers.  I always like to try new flavors and ideas, it's a big part of my initial interest in homebrewing.  I was really surprised to hear him say that he is the 24th largest brewery in the country (well I guess of all breweries, 16th of micros: http://www.brewersassociation.org/pages/media/press-releases/show?title=brewers-association-releases-2009-top-50-breweries-list ).  DFH seems to be a brewery every new craft beer fans gets into right away, maybe thats just a Wisconsin thing...

Anyways, last night I had a glue spill nightmare.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2010, 05:51:40 am »
I had no idea Papa Paul had a boy friend. whoda thunk it?

You're a butthole!!! I'm telling! DENNY?!?!?!!

Bwahaha! Sorry bud. I couldn't resist.  :P

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2010, 07:11:46 am »
Sam is a helluva salesman.

He strikes  me as a used car salesman, wife says he's in-love with himself :D

Its a freaking DFH infomercial./ reality show, look how great - extreme we are at DFH, under crazy timelines ... blah,blah,blah

To be honest I'm still mad they never sent me a tshirt after saying "we'll make this right"  after getting a 6pk of 60min and a 4pk 90 with rusty rings under the caps. The beers were very sub-par in aroma and any sorta hoppyness.

That was years ago and I have & will not buy beer from DFH again.
See 1 tshirt and this consumer would have forgiven and still be buying beer from them.

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2010, 07:42:43 am »
Ahhh . . if it wasn't for a little ego, we'd all be cowering in dark corners, curled up in the fetal position.

I'd buy Sam a Great Divide Tripel any day of the week!   :D
Just brew it...

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2010, 08:19:13 pm »
It does sort of come off like a combination of infomercial, Jersey Girls & Smiling Bob...  heehhehehheh.   ;D   Seriously, I like it so far, I just hope it gets a little more into the brewing aspects.  I definitely won't try the chicha loogie spit beer if it hits the market.   :o :D
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 08:21:43 pm by dean »

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2010, 12:03:38 pm »
It was a great show, very entertaining.  I do love the fact that people will complain about anything though.  We (beer-lovers) finally have a show that focuses on craft beer, and people try to slam it for being a DFH infomercial  ???
I think DFH does some very cool exciting stuff, and a show about it sure beats the heck out of anything else on TV.  Really, if there was a show about 1 brewery in America, I'd think DFH would make the most interesting one.
Dave Malone
The Greater Denver Yeast Infection

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2010, 12:14:37 pm »
Watched it last night and have to say I really enjoyed it. I already have my DVR programmed to record the next episode. Looking forward to it. Kudos to Sam and DFH!  8)
Ron Price

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2010, 12:25:16 pm »
Watched it last night ( have a Season Pass on Tivo ).  I enjoyed it very much.  Being it was the first episode, I can see where it could be a little DFH-centric.  Sam seems like a cool guy ( he is from New England afterall ) and even the rapping was funny ( though I don't want to see it every week ).

I'm definately looking forward to the next episode.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2010, 04:21:59 pm »
Ahhh . . if it wasn't for a little ego, we'd all be cowering in dark corners, curled up in the fetal position.

You mean.....I'm the only one! :o
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2010, 07:41:48 pm »

You mean.....I'm the only one! :o

No... you know that cat you always cuddle with? Yeah, that's really me. I'm a furry.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2010, 06:32:22 am »
Anyone watch episode 2 - Chicha?

Its only been 2 episodes, but it does seem to be DFH infomercial.  I'm still enjoying it though.
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2010, 04:34:57 pm »
  We (beer-lovers) finally have a show that focuses on craft beer, and people try to slam it for being a DFH infomercial  ???

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't slamming it for being an infomercial. I mean, it's a show about Sam, and DFH. What beer would I expect them to feature, SNPA? It's Sam's show, and that's fine by me. I enjoyed it.

The Chicha episodee was good, but I did have to turn my head a few times when they were hocking in the vials. In my best Clevelan Brown voice "Oh, that's nasty."

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2010, 06:18:39 pm »
You could probably make an Idaho spin on chica Weaz!  Chew raw potato and spit it into the kettle...
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2010, 08:43:50 pm »
And a handfull of cherry Jolly Ranchers, and maybe a porkchop, to round it all out.

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2010, 08:57:12 am »
... then distill it...

For the folks who rant about this being just a DFH infomercial...I sense some jealousy!
Phoenix, AZ