Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Any Michigan Homebrew Clubs?  (Read 7078 times)

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
Any Michigan Homebrew Clubs?
« on: November 25, 2009, 08:00:25 pm »
I'm almost spot on 10 and 131... any clubs close by?  Should I TRY to start one? 

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
Re: Any Michigan Homebrew Clubs?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 08:34:49 pm »
I don't know of any in that area,  Grand Rapids, Holland are about the closest that I know of.

Go for it,  get another Michigan club going

Fred
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline bob

• Conference
  • Cellarman
  • Prez for Life - Yeast Coasters - West Michigan
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 04:28:49 pm »
Reed City? I don't know of any clubs there. Try Rex Halfpenny @ Michigan Beer Guide. He may of heard of a group there. Otherwise Primetime Brewers in GR.
Bob

Offline capnchunk

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 01:15:28 pm »
I was thinking this same question - I've heard of clubs in Holland/GR and Detroit, but the rest of the state is fairly empty.  I was about to just start something for the Kzoo area out of frustration.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 06:12:56 pm »
Here are the registered clubs.  There is one in Kalamazoo.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/attachments/0000/1554/Club_Directory.pdf
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 01:39:50 pm »
Reed City? I don't know of any clubs there. Try Rex Halfpenny @ Michigan Beer Guide. He may of heard of a group there. Otherwise Primetime Brewers in GR.

East of Reed City (which is my hometown), near Hersey, I'm a wee tad further in the woods (I'm one of those backwoods bastards again now.   ;)   ;D   Reed City used to be called Todd Slashings... thought I'd share a bit of trivia I guess.   ::) :D

I met a guy that brews a little at one of the beer stores the other day in Big Rapids, I may see if he and any others he may know want to get a club going.  He was telling me the closest place to get supplies was Grand Rapids.... about 75 miles for me.

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 12:24:48 pm »
Yeah Dean, there's not much going on up around you. I have a cabin on Rose lake in Osceola county so I know a little of the area. I would take a trip down to GR someday if I were you and check out Sicilianos. It's only a little over an hour drive for you and is an awesome place for ingredients.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 11:40:15 am »
Yeh, I'll have to check it out, I want to go down to GR anyway so I can visit Founders.   ;D

I think there might be some interest around here, I was in one of my local favorite beer stores looking at the HopSlam and made a comment that I would be getting a six pack soon but right now its a little tight on my wallet.  The owner said she didn't know why the distributor decided to stock it in their shelves because its so expensive but that one regular customer has already bought three six packs of it and all at once since they got it last week.  That gives me a little hope that I might find some other people interested in homebrewing perhaps...  :-\

Offline skidmark

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 05:00:38 pm »
I was thinking this same question - I've heard of clubs in Holland/GR and Detroit, but the rest of the state is fairly empty.  I was about to just start something for the Kzoo area out of frustration.

klob.org

It is an active club, with 50-60 members IIRC.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 05:02:20 pm by skidmark »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 06:02:01 pm »
skidmark - what was keeping you from that AHA forums?

Dean, these guys are a good group, as we have gotten to know several over the years.   I hear they make some good cider on the west side of the state.

http://www.primetimebrewers.com/
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline gail

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 08:07:01 am »
I hear they make some good cider on the west side of the state.

http://www.primetimebrewers.com/
Ahhh, master of understatement.

I know it's a bit north of you, Dean, but Joe Short was facilitating the start up a homebrew club at Short's in Bellaire.  And if you still haven't gotten there, it's worth the trip.
The folks at Cass River meet in Frankenmuth (again, a little hike for you) and they're a great group:  mike01_rogers@yahoo.com
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 08:27:26 am by gail »

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 09:50:23 am »
Gail, I just talked with a friend of mine that hauls for Short's Brewer from time to time.  I asked him if he's had the chance to try any of their beer and if he liked it?  HaHa!  I knew what his answer was going to be before he said it, he's a BMC drinker.   :D

I appreciate the suggestions but most of the places mentioned are a drive for the time being.  I do plan to make a trip when I can though... I want to see the hop farms up there too.  People are starting to farm them here also, my brother told me someone in Mecosta county has put in a couple hundred this year, I'm going to find out who that is and see if they brew as well.