Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: OMG, whirlwind trip to Belgium.  (Read 11162 times)

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
Re: OMG, whirlwind trip to Belgium.
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2010, 10:42:01 am »

Sad to see that a major European city still allows smoking inside buildings.

Thats the way it is & its their  country so....

I hear you. I used to live in Germany and go back on a regular basis and I don't realize how much I like the widespread ban in indoor smoking until I get off the plane in Germany. But what I miss here in the US is the more relaxed attitude towards beer. I'd love to see Beergardens in the US like they have in Germany. Why do we have to do most of our drinking in dark places? Why can't there be a Beergarden with an attached playground? They have that in Germany, and most likely allow smoking there as well ;)

But I also agree with the others who say that we should not complain about the rules and customs of other countries even if they can be pretty annoying.

Kai

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2010, 11:03:54 am »

Sad to see that a major European city still allows smoking inside buildings.

Thats the way it is & its their  country so....

True, but even -France- doesn't permit smoking inside restaurants and bars anymore. I just don't get why I should have to put up with somebody else's dirty habit when I decide to go to a bar in certain places.

Seriously? this is what I hate about too many americans, its their country and who the F*** are we  to tell them how to run their business.

Gawd Damn

How about this,  don't like it then don't go.

Wow, touchy touchy. I'm a citizen of France and the US, and while not a citizen of Belgium I do happen to believe it's unfair as a -general principle- to have to inhale someone else's toxic fumes. That's not being American, that's wanting a better quality of life for me and those around me.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2010, 11:15:02 am »
I don't like breathing smoke while drinking, and really don't while doing critical tasting.  That said, I don't recall a major problem in Belgium the times I've been there.  Avoid the heavy crowded times if that's an issue, or choose seats accordingly.  Not an ideal solution, but you play the hand you're dealt.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2010, 11:17:47 am »
I don't like breathing smoke while drinking, and really don't while doing critical tasting.  That said, I don't recall a major problem in Belgium the times I've been there.  Avoid the heavy crowded times if that's an issue, or choose seats accordingly.  Not an ideal solution, but you play the hand you're dealt.

Sounds like a plan - it sounds like some of these places have designated non-smoking areas, but it's been my experience that they're just 'seats further away from the smoke.' I'm going to be there during the day with my boy and my wife which is why I'm concerned about smoke in the first place, but it sounds like it'll be alright. Thanks!

P.S. - as a French citizen it's actually part of my constitutional duty to complain about Belgium.
----

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2010, 02:37:05 pm »
When we were in Brugge at t'Brugs Beertje it was difficult to see across the bar for the smoke...
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2010, 03:46:33 pm »
Wow, touchy touchy.

Yes I'm touchy about guest telling the host how to runs things,its just rude.

When we were in Brugge at t'Brugs Beertje it was difficult to see across the bar for the smoke...

How many years ago was that? I've never seen any of the pubs that smokey, the EU did change the laws but each pub has adjusted as needed/wanted by users.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2010, 03:56:54 pm »
2006...I found a photo, but it didn't really show any smoke since I was focused on the brews.

Scan through some of the reviews of the place and quite a few mention the smoke. I found this quote which kinda sums it up
Delirium Tremens trinkets filled the windows, smoke filled the air.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2010, 05:29:27 pm »
I wouldn't mind doing critical tasting around smokers if it was outdoors or in a highly ventilated indoor area.  I can certainly appreciate not having to inhale smoke while trying to inulge in some craft beer.  

I'll smoke a cigar while sipping on a RIS from time to time but only if I'm in a well ventilated area.  I don't want to disturb others while they are eating and drinking and I would expect that of others as well.  It's a sensitive issue on both sides and I can relate to both.

In other words "I want my beer and I want to drink it too".   :)
Ron Price

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2010, 03:19:24 am »
Smoking is only allowed in bars that don't serve food. Some bars will try to push the envelope a bit. I agree with you in a sense. The bars that try to sell themselves as beer destination and then allow smoking just seem to be missing the point. Like Cafe Delirium. I really don't like that place. Then again, to their credit, they've opened the "Hoppy Loft" on the top floor dedicated to hoppy beers and they don't allow smoking there. That's where the more serious geeks go, I guess (an aside - the last time I was there they were out of every beer I wanted to try).

I'm going to keep singing the praises of Chez Moeder Lambic and Moeder Lambic Fontainas. These guys "get it". They could get away with allowing smoking, but they don't. They were worried about banning smoking in the long established Moeder, but the place has been packed every time I've been there since the ban. Just goes to show that if you have a good product, people will do what they must to buy it.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2010, 05:04:19 am »
Then again, to their credit, they've opened the "Hoppy Loft" on the top floor dedicated to hoppy beers

That's a pretty damn good description of heaven. Sounds like it's worth giving a shot. And yeah, Moeder Lambic is at the top of my list of places to go right now (other than Brouwland!)
----

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2010, 05:16:25 am »
If you're missing American IPA's, the Hoppy Loft is pretty much the only place in Belgium to get 'em. They carry a few other interesting beers as well, like some of the Mikkeller line from Denmark.

Just FYI - Brouwland isn't open on Sundays.

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2010, 10:19:08 am »
Flemish/Dutch is sort of a cross between German and English, so if you sound out the words you can often figure out what they mean.

Something I know a little about..... I'm of Dutch origin.

The original Germanic language split into Northern and Western Branches. The Northern branch spawned the Scandinavian languages: Norwegian, Swedish and Danish, as well as Icelandic and Faroese. The Western branch begat English, Dutch, German and Frisian. The latter spoken in one of the Northern provinces of The Netherlands.

There are two languages spoken in Belgium. Dutch and French. That said, they call their version of Dutch Flemish which is technically a dialect. I can speak with them when they use their school language and haven't had their fifth Duvel yet. Beyond that there is a whole vocabulary of it's own. Kinda like talking to someone in a dark bar in England or Ireland after midnight. He's speaking English, but that doesn't mean you can understand him.

Meanwhile the language thing in Belgium is not unlike the Quebec situation. Basically they've been burning each others books for a few thousand years. Once Vlaanderen (the Northern part where Vlaams or Flemish is spoken) was a part of Holland (The Netherlands) and the South was French. Although one country now, the two halves still have, eh, their differences.

And yes, a lot of people speak English.

The smoking thing is very divisive in the countries themselves. Don't know the Belgian situation, but I know Holland, after an all out ban is now allowing family owned and operated establishments to set their own policy. As an ex smoker I want nothing to do with the odor.

OK, back to beer talk now.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 10:22:11 am by oscarvan »
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2010, 12:30:31 am »
But now he has to go back :D  Next thing he'll be going a couple times per year  :D ;D

rabid_dingo- what do you think was wrong with the boon geuze?

So did you get the Nude-O-Scope or the enhanced grope??
It's not a grope it's a freedom pat!  ;)

The Boon Geuze that I tasted....well the only way to describe it, in my words at least:

Have you ever seen an aircraft land? I mean the actual touchdown of the main landing gear? There is a small puff of
white smoke as the rubber is vaporized trying to go from 0mph to 130mph in 0 seconds.
Have you ever smelled that smoke?
other possible examples: 1/4 mile races both NHRA or Motorcycle races where they warm up the tires by burning rubber?

That smell is the exact taste I got...and being that I have never tasted a Geuze, I did not say, "Ugh WTF?" or "Say old man
does this taste funny to you?" I just took about an hour to drink it...Then I moved on.
I have no reference point for it. I have had lambics and other sours. Hell that Leifmans was specfreakingdamntacular.

Ugh. Live and learn. 10 down 1994 to go...
Ruben * Colorado :)