Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Top Gear  (Read 1873 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Top Gear
« on: November 21, 2010, 11:42:27 pm »
Fascinated with the British show. Absolutely love it.

About to watch the US version (first show) with Adam Ferrara. Hope it lives up to the standard... 8)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline euge

• I must live here
Re: Top Gear
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 01:25:46 am »
Hmmm. A Top Gear show with wooden American actors. Bump up the passion guys!

Not bad. Preconceptions aside the Lambo's are pretty awesome!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 06:07:30 am »
Love Top Gear>

The fastest lap ever:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx_dL41eUDo

The Stig removes his helmet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oay6ykzcqzo

Sabine Schmitz  shows how to drive a van around Nurburgring ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KiC03_wVjc

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 06:48:37 am »
Impossible to duplicate Jeremy Clarkson.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 09:55:23 am »
Impossible to duplicate Jeremy Clarkson.

+1 I totally agree.

Offline gimmeales

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 10:44:43 am »
Have not seen the American version yet - was shocked I hadn't heard about it till the other day.  HUGE Top Gear fan for years (back when you could only find grainy, 3-5 min clips on youtube) and highly skeptical that we can do something as good here.  We did ok with The Office in the end though, so we'll see.

I really can't believe with what a car-culture we are in the US that the Brits have kicked our freaking asses when it comes to entertaining motoring shows.  And why on the History Channel?!  Really?  Maybe if Speed hadn't become the NASCAR Channel it could reside in its proper place along with a variety of motorsports shows\events.  Ok, done ranting.  You guys are right, the hosts are as much a part of the show as the cars\challenges so if they can't get that right, I think it's sunk.

Offline kerneldustjacket

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 11:17:36 am »
We did ok with The Office in the end though, so we'll see.

There's a long history of copying British shows for American TV...for example, "Steptoe and Son" became "Sanford and Son." "Till Death Do Us Part" became "All In The Family." "Man About the House" became "Three's Company."  And then there's "Weakest Link" "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" "Who's Line is it Anyway" "Undercover Boss" "Wife Swap" "Hell's Kitchen" "Dear John"...all copied without name changes.

Next thing you know we'll be copying their beer styles!!!

+1 it's a great show...hope US producers/hosts can pull it off...so long as they don't get the attitude they "can fix this show and make it better than the Brits." Hurbris...pure hubris.
John Wilson
Savannah Brewers League
Savannah, GA