Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brew Masters......up or down.....?  (Read 16730 times)

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: Brew Masters......up or down.....?
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2010, 09:30:46 am »
I thought it was a bore.  And yes, Sam seems a bit full of himself.  But to give you some perspective, probably not as much as Jamil Z.

Do you know Jamil??

+100 Denny!!
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline dirk_mclargehuge

• Cellarman
    • Wort's Going On Here?
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2010, 09:33:37 am »
Again with the deadline?  "We're gonna serve it in three weeks, so I'm flying to Peru. . ."  This was more of what I wanted, but I still expected to see some of the cake decorators from Ace of Cakes.

Offline cheba420

• Brewer
  • Can I get a beer up in here?
    • The Beer Research Institute
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2010, 09:33:58 am »
I just caught last night's episode. Missed the first one. I like it. Now, I dont know that I like what they made...... but I like a show that puts our passion in the limelight. Sam is a great spokesman for the industry and he has a TV personality. I think its a good fit all the way around. I'll be tuning in tonight for episode #3.

My wife actually watched the whole show with me and I think I saw her connecting the brewing dots. Good stuff.
Matt
Mesa, AZ.

On Tap: Vanilla Porter, Belgian Blonde, Saison, Black IPA, Punkin Porter
Primary: Pale 31 Clone, Raspberry Cider
Secondary: Vanilla Porter
Conditioning: Brett IPA
Bottles:Mosaic Wheat
On Deck: Flanders Red, Berliner weisse, Punkin Saison, Saison Brett

Offline dirk_mclargehuge

• Cellarman
    • Wort's Going On Here?
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2010, 01:05:19 pm »
I just caught last night's episode. Missed the first one. I like it. Now, I dont know that I like what they made...... but I like a show that puts our passion in the limelight. Sam is a great spokesman for the industry and he has a TV personality. I think its a good fit all the way around. I'll be tuning in tonight for episode #3.

My wife actually watched the whole show with me and I think I saw her connecting the brewing dots. Good stuff.

He does have a great TV personality, but as far as him being a spokesman for the industry. . .unless the industry is in Delaware, I would say he is a great spokesman for DogFish Head.  The show may be named Brew Masters, but so far we've only seen one.  

So it looks like the next couple of episodes will be following this format: Sam travels while the staff at the brewery faces a problem.

Too bad it's opposite two other shows I watch.  Can't give up my No Reservations and Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 01:08:03 pm by dirk_mclargehuge »

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2010, 01:15:16 pm »
A show about beer by a guy who knows and loves beer . . . sounds good to me.

Bingo. There's always someone to rip it apart. Ignore and carry on.....
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2010, 02:20:49 pm »
A show about beer by a guy who knows and loves beer . . . sounds good to me.

Bingo. There's always someone to rip it apart. Ignore and carry on.....

I turned it off in the first episode when Sam introduced his brewmaster, and it was appareant he (Sam) had no clue what was going on the brewery.  I could have lsitened to that brewmaster all day though.

Offline lostralph

• 1st Kit
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2010, 07:52:08 pm »
I've watched the first two episodes so far and I've enjoyed, I think I'll keep watching for at least a couple more episodes.  Tonight is supposed to be brewed in New Zealand so that could be interesting.  I thought from the commercials it would less DFH centric, but I'm ok with that since I like Dogfish Head and the concepts they use to formulate their beers.
The High Plains Draughters - OKC

Offline spelt

• 1st Kit
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2010, 08:57:10 pm »
Its entertaining and its about beer.  Works for me, I'm a man of simple pleasures.  Plus I have to tip my hat to anything that reminds us that craft brewing does exist outside of California and Oregon.  Not everything has to be a technical video treatise from a Weihenstephan-trained Cistercian Monk.

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2010, 09:55:10 pm »
I've watched 2 of them now and my interest is waining. The show is called Brew Masters, which is plural. I want to hear from other brew masters. Sam's shtick is getting old, IMO.

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2010, 05:28:58 am »
Last night was cool. And I think I can put my finger on the "hook" now. It's about the hunt.... the hunt for the perfect beer. They go through all the motions and then they finally draw their first glass and stick their nose in it, and you think..... I NEED SMELLAVISION!!!!!  Plus, if you ever wanted to start a microbrewery......this show may just cure you.  ;D

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2010, 06:04:30 am »
As for capping a whole bunch of twist off bottles, I have only 2 words, "Quality Control". This should have been caught with their incoming inspection of the bottles and if not there, then  their "in process" control. I would have been embarrassed to reveal such a blatant, production mistake to the public.

The "vent tube in a bottle" problem was somewhat understandable.

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2010, 07:15:18 am »
Agreed. When you "open" a pallet of bottles you take 1 or 2 and give them a very close scrutiny. Like everything else. Trust, but verify. You never know though, maybe Sam called the bottle supplier and said: "Pay me my damages and I'll keep your name out of it....." ;D

Offline cheba420

• Brewer
  • Can I get a beer up in here?
    • The Beer Research Institute
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2010, 09:05:33 am »
Its entertaining and its about beer.  Works for me, I'm a man of simple pleasures.

Agreed. I also think that this show is geared more towards the general public than it is to us home brewers or brewers in general. There is a lot of basic education in there. I think the goal of this show is to let others know that there is more to the beer world than Bud, Miller and Coors! And I think they've accomplished this. As I mentioned in my earlier post, Sam is a good representative for the industry. Maybe not to you but to that guy who's watching this show with a Natural Lite Ice in his hand....There may be some people out there getting turned on to something new...and BETTER. Its a good show. Take it for what it is.
Matt
Mesa, AZ.

On Tap: Vanilla Porter, Belgian Blonde, Saison, Black IPA, Punkin Porter
Primary: Pale 31 Clone, Raspberry Cider
Secondary: Vanilla Porter
Conditioning: Brett IPA
Bottles:Mosaic Wheat
On Deck: Flanders Red, Berliner weisse, Punkin Saison, Saison Brett

Online dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2010, 09:45:16 am »
I thought it was a bore.  And yes, Sam seems a bit full of himself.  But to give you some perspective, probably not as much as Jamil Z.

Do you know Jamil??

Alright, maybe it's just envy (absolutely not), or perhaps it is the fact that I am so firmly part of what was once the alternative/grunge/15-minutes-of-fame-hating generation, but I think it's pretty plain to see through the evolution of his podcasts and the continuing release of books and whatnot that "he", or the image that has been created, whether anyone else on earth cares to admit it or not, is way overblown.  But you are right, I have not met the man.  Who knows, maybe he really does feel deep inside that he's just an ordinary guy living an ordinary life.  Maybe it's myself and my disdain for reality TV and all things in the 21st century that are being mega-worshipped without much merit that need further examination.  He might be a wonderfully kind and charming man.  I have been wrong before.  But until that fateful day (oh I can hardly wait) when I might meet him and form a more informed opinion, I am comfortable in having the opinion that he is sold out and overblown.

My word -- where did all that come from.  I really don't mean to offend anyone.  Take my opinion for what it is worth -- probably not even 2 cents.

</rant> </hijack>

I suppose this is a bad time to bring this up, but speaking of "judge not lest ye be judged", the Waldo Lake Amber Ale competition is at my place this Saturday.  I'm hoping for approximately 10 entries, all local yokels from here in eastern Wisconsin.  Looking forward to tasting them all side-by-side and sending you some, Denny, if you can look beyond my buttheadedness and are still interested.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2010, 09:54:21 am »
Hey, Dave, I know all about being being a butthead...it's one of my specialties!  I'm well aware of the Jamil "persona", but my personal experience with him is very much the opposite of that.  I guess you need to get to NHC and meet him yourself!

I'm really looking froward to trying the WLA variations!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell