Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brew Masters......up or down.....?  (Read 16729 times)

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: Brew Masters......up or down.....?
« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2010, 09:25:05 am »
To my surprise I am liking it more every episode.
At least the the brewing info is correct. Not detailed but correct.

Yeah, I have noticed that they're pretty careful about not sharing many specifics on their recipes and process. 
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2010, 09:52:05 am »
Yeah, I have noticed that they're pretty careful about not sharing many specifics on their recipes and process. 
I think people who are interested in that kind of info are a pretty small portion of the audience.  I don't think they're being secretive, but playing to their viewers.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2010, 10:16:34 am »
Thumbs up. 

As a still novice homebrewer, I enjoy hearing about the different recipes and how they come together, whether or not they give specifics.  Plus they explain some of the chemistry behind the beer, which is my life. (I'm a chemist)  It's really cool to see how the brewery/brewpub function together and how Sam runs his business... some good tips to keep in mind for the day this whole analytical chemist career tanks... Definately entertaining, and it's good to see a show promoting craft beer. 
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2010, 10:36:29 am »
I think people who are interested in that kind of info are a pretty small portion of the audience.  I don't think they're being secretive, but playing to their viewers.

Probably a little of both.  When the head brewer was doing the revised test batch of 120 minute at the end of the last episode he made a point of hiding the thermometer with the mash temp on it while he was reading it.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2010, 11:04:34 am »
I didn't notice that, and it's somewhat surprising since Sam has always been generous with brewing information.  And for a beer like 120 minute, anyone with rudimentary knowledge of mashing will know that you'd better be mashing low.  I'd start with a sacch rest 146-148F if I was trying to clone it.  Hiding the ingredients makes more sense.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2010, 11:07:21 am »
Maybe he was just joking around.  But they aren't overly detailed with their recipes either.  All of which is completely understandable.  I'm not complaining; just an observation.  I'm not watching the show to try to clone DFH recipes.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2010, 11:20:53 am »
I'll keep an eye out for it, see if I notice anything similar.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #67 on: December 14, 2010, 12:39:51 pm »
"Brew Masters......up or down.....?"
up of course.  it's a show about craft beer.  how could it be down?

That really sums it all up pretty well! 

As I've stated before, I could care less if it comes off as a DFH infomercial.   
In the final analysis, it's a great informercial for the spirit of "craft" brewing (even if I dislike that term).
No doubt there will be other shows imitating and hopefully expanding on  this one. 

Kudos to Sam for getting involved in this. 
It's certainly a win for him and DFH,  but if it increases awareness of and curiosity about "good" beer,  it's also a win for this small but growing  segment of the industry. 
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #68 on: December 14, 2010, 12:51:35 pm »
I didn't notice that, and it's somewhat surprising since Sam has always been generous with brewing information.  And for a beer like 120 minute, anyone with rudimentary knowledge of mashing will know that you'd better be mashing low.  I'd start with a sacch rest 146-148F if I was trying to clone it.  Hiding the ingredients makes more sense.

My thoughts exactly Tom. I don't think Sam wants to be forthcoming on the details and/or Discovery edited that part out.
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #69 on: December 14, 2010, 01:17:06 pm »

My thoughts exactly Tom. I don't think Sam wants to be forthcoming on the details and/or Discovery edited that part out.
I just don't think the specifics are that interesting to a general audience who doesn't know 2-row from 6-row, let alone cascades vs. centennial. 
Tom Schmidlin

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2010, 05:09:07 am »
I'd like to see an episode from the NHC.
I bet the AHA would get a membership boost out of that.
Dan S. from NJ

Offline James Lorden

• Brewer
  • Forest Hill, MD
« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2010, 08:23:27 am »
Sam has a recipe book out.  I've never read it.  Does it have recipes for beers currently in the DFH lineup?  If so, I don't see how keeping secrets on the show protects any proprietary information.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 10:51:10 am by James Lorden »
James Lorden
Beer Drinker Beer Maker & Beer Judge

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2010, 10:44:04 am »

I just don't think the specifics are that interesting to a general audience who doesn't know 2-row from 6-row, let alone cascades vs. centennial. 

This is probably the case as well.
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2010, 11:03:18 am »
Sam has a recipe book out.  I've never read it.  Does it have recipes for beers currently in the DFH lineup?  If so, I don't see how keeping secrets on the show protects any proprietary information.
Extreme Brewing has 60 minute and Raison D'Etre that I remember, Midas Touch too I think.  Probably one or two more from DFH, then recipes from other breweries.  Is there another book out, or is that the one you're thinking of?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2010, 01:02:18 pm »
Way up...I just wish they'd settle on a reliable schedule.
First episode was on a Sunday...
They moved to Mondays...
Now, it looks like they're currently airing on Thursdays...

Hard to be a devoted viewer, when they keep changing.
That's been known to get shows cancelled, in the past.