Author Topic: Brew Masters......up or down.....?  (Read 6360 times)

Offline Podo

• Cellarman
  • Korea
    • View Profile
Re: Brew Masters......up or down.....?
« Reply #90 on: December 17, 2010, 05:09:19 PM »
I'm even less impressed with breweries that *sell* bad beer.

I figure it's like all the bad press about companies losing personal data about their customers.  It's not that it's new, it's just that a law was passed that requires them to disclose it.  Who knows how much beer gets dumped from other breweries?  It's just that you see what DFH does.

I was kinda amused when they said 120 minute was too sweet.  I think it's too sweet when it tastes the way they want it to.  90 minute too.

I always thought their 120 was too sweet also.  I did cry when it was going down the drain though.
So good once it hits your lips!

Offline Morning Dew

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 17, 2010, 10:51:57 PM »
I work in the food and beverage industry (beverages) so sometimes I forget how immune I am to witnessing product being dumped and how niave others are to just how much product is dumped by companies.  So you see them dump some product on a TV show and your concerned?

The previous company I worked at made spahgetti sauce in glass jars.  My very first day of work I was walking next to a conveyor moving pallets of finished and boxed sauce.  The controls for the conveyor malfunctioned and I stood in amazement as I watched EIGHT full pallets roll of the end and fall to the floor one by one.  Every single jar, a total loss.  Another two years later I was totally immune to these type of events because they happen and fairly often.

The current company I work for has it's own waste water treatment facility.  The water is treated using "bugs". There was a malfunction in the controls and we overloaded the bugs with wastewater and killed them ALL.  The entire plant came to a screeching halt as we waited 4 days for Budwieser (just happened to be a non-competing company that used the same type of waste water treatment facility) to truck us a fresh load of new bugs and get them acclimated.  When the plant came to a screeching halt, we had 27,000 gallons of blended product sitting in tanks.  We had no choice but to divert it to tankers, have them drive it to another facility (because our waste water plant was down) and have the other plants DUMP it.  27,000 gallons. Gone.

Both of these companies are top notch fortune 500 companies. Obviously, you try to minimize mistakes and waste but when you produce anything (including beverages) 24 hours a day, 7 days of week, 365 days a year, dumping product is just a fact of doing business.

Online euge

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 18, 2010, 01:56:35 AM »
Way up...I just wish they'd settle on a reliable schedule.
First episode was on a Sunday...
They moved to Mondays...
Now, it looks like they're currently airing on Thursdays...

Hard to be a devoted viewer, when they keep changing.
That's been known to get shows cancelled, in the past.

How about satisfying a contract? You got 10 episodes to show and the first have had lukewarm reception. Burn'em off in various slots and move onto the next concept. The option isn't renewed. They want something like Pawn Stars and Man vs Food.

I'll dump a beer in a heartbeat and move on.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 18, 2010, 08:41:35 AM »
Obviously, you try to minimize mistakes and waste but when you produce anything (including beverages) 24 hours a day, 7 days of week, 365 days a year, dumping product is just a fact of doing business.

Mistakes happen to the very best of companies as you've witnessed. I've had to dump a batch or two and it's a hard thing to do but must be done. The important thing is learning from your mistakes. DFH learned from their mistakes too.

I commend them for dumping the batch as opposed to bottling it and then potentially tarnishing their reputation.

Kudos to Sam and DFH.

Welcome to the AHA Forum morning dew.  8)
Ron Price

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • Brewing After Law School
« Reply #94 on: December 21, 2010, 03:30:58 PM »
I was kinda amused when they said 120 minute was too sweet.  I think it's too sweet when it tastes the way they want it to.  90 minute too.

+1

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 21, 2010, 07:18:50 PM »
What's that old saying: "One man's trash is another man's treasure?"

Surely that wasted wort could be put to use as pig slop or feed for a shrimp farm, just the kind of thing that should appeal to "off centered people" who are trying to run a more-profitable, less-wasteful business.  All that spent grain and dumped beer can be used to feed pigs or shrimp that end up on the menu at DH brewpubs and other regional restaurants...

http://www.onsitewater.com/ow_0601_saltwater.html

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • BJCP
« Reply #96 on: December 22, 2010, 06:51:38 AM »
OK, I found a bottle of 120 Minute IPA in the back of my walk-in.  It was from 2003, according to the label cut.  That was the one I thought was undrinkable at the time.

The alcohol has smoothed out, but it's still exceedingly sweet.  Sort of like a fresh JW Lees Harvest Ale sweet, but without all the caramel.  It's just sweet malt.  The hops attempt to balance, but it's just way too syrupy.

I think I have another one from 2005 or 2007 in there.  I'll try that some other time during the holidays and see how it is.  But 2003, meh.  The bottle says "can age for a decade".  Well, seven years didn't do much for it.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 22, 2010, 09:59:00 AM »
Too bad you don't have a 2006 since that's the recipe they decided to go back to.  It'd be interesting to see how that one was.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Fermenting: Wit
On Tap: Lucifer's Hammer Golden Strong Ale, Dopplebock, Old Fuzzynut's Ale

Offline bfogt

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 22, 2010, 11:24:46 AM »
My wife told me she likes this show.  It's been the only show we have really watched together in months.  She relates it to Ace of Cakes but it's much more scientific and historical than art.  Since she's an engineer, it works well for her.

And she doesn't like beer and especially anything related to brewing....

beveragebob

« Reply #99 on: December 22, 2010, 01:41:55 PM »
"Obviously, you try to minimize mistakes and waste but when you produce anything (including beverages) 24 hours a day, 7 days of week, 365 days a year, dumping product is just a fact of doing business."

+100!

I like the show and what it is doing for the industry but, dumping bad beer is getting totally old. If that is the antithesis then I'd rather see the show get dumped. Sorry Sam! I hope it's working out for you!

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 22, 2010, 02:21:19 PM »
I agree with bb. One dump is okay; 2 dumps get old.

Offline bluesssman

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
    • Home Brewer TV
« Reply #101 on: December 22, 2010, 09:53:22 PM »
Does anyone know whether there will be any other Brew Master shows? There is nothing showing on the Discovery website.

Gary

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 23, 2010, 02:24:10 AM »
I noticed that....... Nothing Sunday either. Wasn't that the day? Did Sam himself get sparged?
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Eau Claire WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 24, 2010, 09:55:28 AM »
I was wondering the same thing.
Na Zdravie

On Tap At The TapRoom:
Bohemian Pilsner
Bohemian Dark Lager
Smoked Bock
MaiBock
American Brown Ale
Marzen
Root beer

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • View Profile
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #104 on: December 25, 2010, 10:46:55 AM »
It was moved to Thursdays.

But my bet is that it will be canceled in no time at all.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us