Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rye Stout  (Read 3109 times)

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
Rye Stout
« on: November 26, 2010, 08:43:17 am »
Any one ever tried using malted rye in a stout?  How much rye do you think would be needed so that it doesn't get lost behind the roasted grains?

This is my starting point:
60% 2-Row
25% Rye
4% Black Patent
3% Crystal 60
3% Crystal 120
3% Roasted Barley
2% Flaked Barley
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline Kirk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Sparks, NV
Re: Rye Stout
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 10:31:29 am »
For what it's worth, in my last Black Ale, I used only 1% Black and 9.5% Chocolate and got 38 SRM, and for awhile I thought it was too roasty, until it conditioned another week.  And also, the roast flavor hides the yeast flavor (Abbey WLP530) so that it tastes almost like a standard Porter or Stout.  I would think that one would have to back off the Roast a lot for the Rye to show at all.
Kirk Howell

Offline ipaguy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 12:54:00 pm »
I've found rye malt to have a pretty intense flavor, so I think it will come through nicely at 25%.  The only tweak I'd suggest is substituting debittered black malt for the black patent.  Your roast barley should give you plenty of bite on its own.
Primary: gotlandsdricke/alt/dunkel hybrid
Secondary: pale barleywine,
Bottled:  Gotlandsdricke
               Oatmeal/blackberry stout
               Honey Kolsch

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 11:42:06 pm »
I have used 20% rye malt in a stout and found it to be noticeable.  I would think 25% would also be a good portion.

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 09:24:15 am »
Thanks guys.  I like the debittered black malt idea - I'll have to see if I can round some up.

Though I do like a nice roasty stout...

If it turns out, the next version will be aged on rye (Crown Royal) soaked oak cubes.
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline gimmeales

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 10:54:07 am »
I'm drinking a Rye Stout now of which about 20% of the grist is Rye.  2/3rds was Malted Rye, the other 1/3rd is Flaked.  The Rye character is definitely present - I might even pull back on it a hair an up the Crystal a bit next time around.  I don't get the spiciness from Rye that everyone else does - this just has a earthy, grainy character that I like a lot.  Head is dense and tight, very nitro-esque and retention and lacing is awesome.

10#  2-Row
2#   Malted Rye
1#   Flaked Rye
1#   Roast Barley
.5#  Chocolate
.5#  Crystal 120

Hopped to ~50 IBUs

Fermented on a cake of 1968, which I'm really digging.  This is a good beer, though needs some tweaking to bring it into balance and make it a 'WOW' beer.  Might try and get that ready for the local Pro-Am this year.

Offline Rhoobarb

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 01:26:37 pm »
... This is a good beer, though needs some tweaking to bring it into balance and make it a 'WOW' beer.  ...
What kind of tweaks have you thought about doing?  This recipe looks nice to me. I'd never thought about a rye stout until I came across this thread.  Now, at 2:30pm on a slow Friday afternoon at work, it sounds really, really good!  ;D
"Brewing beer to save money makes as much sense as buying a boat to cut costs on a fish dinner." -- Tim French

>^,,^<
Rhoobarb
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicken-City-Ale-Raisers/118689024850197

Offline gimmeales

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 09:34:39 am »
Mostly I just want to push the toffee and dark, fruity sweetness a bit more - it currently borders on a dry-charcoal-like flavor even though the Rye adds a lot of body.  It's reminiscent of a Ristretto, which is NOT a bad thing in my book, just drier in character than I expected.  I'm thinking another half-pound of dark crystal (though whether 120 or 80, I haven't decided) would get it where I want it.

It's also a bit strong at about 7% - I'd like something a bit more sessionable.  I mashed lower than planned (150 instead of 154-ish), so am also contemplating brewing it exactly as above with a pound less of base malt and just getting the mash temp up to see if that balances it a bit more.

Offline ipaguy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 11:22:43 am »
You could also replace some of the flaked and/or malted rye with crystal rye.
               Oatmeal/blackberry stout
               Honey Kolsch

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 11:43:39 am »
Thanks for the tips gimmeales!
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline gimmeales

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 08:10:16 am »
Oooh Crystal Rye - now you're talkin!  I forget about it because I don't see it often.  Thanks for the suggestion ipaguy!

Offline ipaguy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 10:59:41 am »
Oooh Crystal Rye - now you're talkin!  I forget about it because I don't see it often.  Thanks for the suggestion ipaguy!

If you have trouble finding it, you can get it here http://www.midwestsupplies.com/crystal-rye-simpson-s.html
               Oatmeal/blackberry stout
               Honey Kolsch