Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whatcha Brewin' this week -- 2009 Nov 4-10?  (Read 16022 times)

Offline tntjr

• 1st Kit
Re: Whatcha Brewin' this week?
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2009, 07:52:33 pm »
Nothing brewing but it's time to move the marzen and holiday spiced ale to secondary.

Tom

Offline jackfromjax

• 1st Kit
Re: Whatcha Brewin' this week -- 2009 Nov 4-10?
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2009, 05:54:18 pm »
Shop didn't have any rauch malt for my smoked porter...sadness.

I did, however, brew 10gal of a dry stout.  I used an additional lb of debittered black malt in addition to the roasted barley for color.  It looks like a ten-fidy.  Can't wait to try it.

I also brewed 6gal of Flanders Red.  After primary, I'm going to dump it on the dregs of my one year old Flanders (really sour), let it go for 6mos to a year and then blend.

Sipping on a Jolly Pumpkin La Roja.....Mmmmmmmmmmm

Offline KING__SIZE

• Cellarman
« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2009, 06:41:10 pm »
Jack, any tips on blending beer? How do you prevent oxidization?
“Before anything else, preparation is the key to success.” Alexander Graham Bell

Offline tony

• Cellarman
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2009, 05:12:48 am »
Mashing an APA right now, and I plan on an cream ale Saturday

Offline jackfromjax

• 1st Kit
« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2009, 06:39:21 am »
King_Size,
First I'll determine the blending proportions.  I'll do this by pulling off a pint or so of whatever beers I'm blending.  I'll set up small sample glasses and very carefully blend different percentages.  Typically a lambic will be 70% 1-year old with 30% six month old.  Anyway, whatever the final proportions,  your looking for the best balance and greatest complexity.

I keg all of my beers so the process is really the same as normal kegging.  After cleaning the keg is purged with CO2, which is heavier than air so the cap can be removed without risk of losing CO2.  As the beer is racked into the keg, the liquid forced the CO2 out of the opening at the top.  I have a cvpvc measuring stick with markings on the side for the various kettles, mash tuns, liquor tanks, kegs that I use.  The markings are calibrated at 1gal increments so I can determine the exact volumes of the various vessles.  I will apply the final proportion to the blend, keg the beer, and purge the head space with CO2.  After carbonation, I'll use a beer gun to bottle.

I've used a similar method when bottle conditioning as well.  I'll take my stainless steel boil kettle and follow the same procedure noted above.  Once I have the racked beer in the kettle I'll mix in the boiled, cooled, DME and additional yeast being carefull not to splash.  I've never really had a problem with oxidation.  Good Brewing - Cheers!

Offline yeastmaster

• Assistant Brewer
  • Cabin Brew
    • Saccharomyces Safari
Re: Whatcha Brewin' this week?
« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2009, 09:44:59 pm »
Another Pale Ale. Brewing with my knucklehead friends. Nothing special.

However, I am prepping for a Stein beer project. Drilling granite blocks so I can rig it and drop the heated stones into a wooden brewing vessel.

Just finished drilling 9 granite blocks, which is harder than it sounds.

That's pretty cool.  My homebrew club it thinking about doing a steinbier this winter