Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Passsword problems  (Read 1615 times)

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Passsword problems
« on: November 23, 2010, 08:50:50 am »
This is only beer related in that I am having hell with passwords on here, realbeer.com and beeradvocate.  I'm guessing my computers have been hacked, my passwords on these sites along with my gmail and yahoo accounts have to be reset about every hour since Saturday.  I've run my virus scans, Spybot S & D, Lavasoft Adaware, and nothing turns up but I'm getting pretty tired of no access to the sites I visit most often, especially my work email account(gmail).  Any suggestions from you tech savvy people?  My office computer tech is stumped.  The next step is to wipe this computer and my laptop and start from scratch, but I don't know it that will accomplish anything.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: Passsword problems
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 08:57:23 am »
I would suggest a rootkit scan.  Some virus and malware scanner won't pick up a rootkit.

If this is a windows systems, you could use this:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897445.aspx

Bitdefender also make a rootkit scanner, and I believe the new AVG antivirus software has rootkit scanning ability. 

See if that finds anything.  Good luck.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 10:13:57 am »
I use AVG every day and run Malwarebytes about once a week.  I've found both to be very effective.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 11:33:13 am »
I run AVG daily at home on the laptop, but supposedly we have a network wide anti-virus here at the office.  I'm putting AVG back on this computer right now.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 11:47:54 am »
Try Malwarebytes, too.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Tim McManus

• Assistant Brewer
    • Haskell Brewing Company
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 01:32:55 pm »
Try Malwarebytes, too.

+1.  Great freeware program that does the trick.

I have a multi-step process to remove crap from PCs.  If/when Malwarebytes isn't working, you can go to:  http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

It's a free online scanning utility that works charms in times of crisis.  Then reboot your machine in Safe Mode (press F8 during startup) and run Malwarebytes.  That usually fixes 95% of malware issues.
Tim McManus
Haskell, NJ

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 01:50:01 pm »
Heres a crazy idea, don't get infected in the first place, know what & why your running something.

I can't recall the last time something like that happened, and I visit the darker places of the interwebs,  :o fileshare,ect... and yet no problems. Facbook is a great place for getting unwanted goodies.

I like Avast scanner and do check  packets once in a bluemoon  to check theres nothing odd coming/going.

os ->win 7 ultimate
browsers -> k-meleon, firefox -> adblock)
vuze & peerblock
CCleaner on shutdown.

or when the mood strikes>

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.2.10) Gecko/20100915 Ubuntu/10.04 (lucid) K-Meleon/1.5.4

http://panopticlick.eff.org/
Your browser fingerprint appears to be unique among the 1,237,024 tested so far :o

Not good if your trying to keep a low profile :D
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 07:14:18 am by uthristy »

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 03:22:08 pm »
Sorry about your trouble.
Have you heard of Linux?

Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing