Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Decocotion mash  (Read 4239 times)

Offline bassriverbrewer

• Cellarman
Decocotion mash
« on: November 23, 2010, 02:21:04 pm »
I'm planning on doing my first decocoction mash.  Everything I've read says to take the decocoction from the thickest part of the mash.  Nothing explains exactly what that means or where it is in the mash tun.  Am I to assume that it is the part of the mash nearest the bottom of the tun?  Any answers will be helpful.  Thanks
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 02:35:11 pm by bassriverbrewer »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Deconcotion mash
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 02:23:42 pm »
It means to use a strainer to pull out grain and leave liquid behind.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
Re: Deconcotion mash
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 02:31:17 pm »
Check this out: http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php/Decoction_Mashing. Especially the YouTube video links at the bottom. I feel that most brewers make decoctions unnecessarily complicated by using too thick of a decoction and/or attempt to calculate the needed decoction volume too precisely.

BTW, you may also want to fix the title unless you intended to spell it that way ;)

Kai

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
Re: Decocotion mash
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 02:36:13 pm »
I feel most brewers make decoction mashes to complicated by doing one in the first place!   ;D

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Tim McManus

• Assistant Brewer
    • Haskell Brewing Company
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 03:30:29 pm »
I love doing decoction mashes.  I brew with another guy so it makes the labor easy.

We bought a 2-quart pyrex measuring bowl and use that to extract the mash.  "Thickest part" is an ambiguous term but there's a reason behind it.  The grist holds temperature better than the liquid.  So in order to increase the temperature of your mash, you want to extract as much solid material as possible; hence "thickest part".  Too much liquid and you won't be able to hit your target temperature.  Too much grist and you run the risk of scorching what you are trying to boil.

Have a calculator or brewing program handy when you decoct.  You'll find that sometimes your temp will drop between phases and that will affect the volume you need to pull from the mash.
Tim McManus
Haskell, NJ

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 05:23:57 pm »
I feel most brewers make decoction mashes to complicated by doing one in the first place!   ;D

Maybe the fella want's some depth in his brew, from the flavor through to the finish.  Think of it as a gourmet recipe. 
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 06:04:02 pm »
I pull my decoctions with a picture and just pull of the surface liquid.  I pull the liquid that is between the grains. 
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 07:15:53 pm »
I pull my decoctions with a picture and just pull of the surface liquid.  I pull the liquid that is between the grains. 

Does it matter who's on the picture? ;)

Kai

Offline mthogan1997

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 07:49:31 pm »

Does it matter who's on the picture? ;)

Kai

Yes, it is suggested that he use a picture of Friedrich Wilhelm Viktor Albrecht von Preußen.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 08:11:09 pm »
This thread is one blooper and blunder after the next starting from the misspelled title.   8)

Kai,  do you decoct your dopplebock?

I'm planning to brew one soon and was wondering which level of decoction you used...double?
Ron Price

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 08:55:59 pm »
If I do decoction I do single decoction from 143F to 160F.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

beveragebob

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 11:21:59 pm »
I think about the word decoction as I add some meloidan malt and cara-pils to my mash tun ::)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 01:08:12 am by beveragebob »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 07:40:57 am »

Maybe the fella want's some depth in his brew, from the flavor through to the finish.  Think of it as a gourmet recipe. 

Then why is he doing a decoction?   ;D

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2010, 07:52:12 am »
When I decoct pulling thin enough wort is not a problem. The mash is thin. Stiring is not a big deal. Light stiring to saccharification  rest and again through the hot break is all I do. The rolling boil keeps it from scorching. I don't ever add water. I want to boil the highest gravity wort possible. I'll loose over six quarts with triple 30 minute decoctions.

It's neither difficult or complicated. It just takes time.

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2010, 07:58:13 am »
Kai,  do you decoct your dopplebock?

I do, but I'm not convinced that this is the key to a good Doppelbock.

I'm planning to brew one soon and was wondering which level of decoction you used...double?

I'm using the double decoction that I demonstrate in the YouTube videos. This is the decoction where the 1st decoction is about 2/3 of the mash and pretty much all the grain.

Kai