Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: American Barleywine Recipe Nov/Dec 2010 Issue  (Read 5267 times)

Offline miguelpanderland

• Cellarman
  • Glendale, WI
American Barleywine Recipe Nov/Dec 2010 Issue
« on: December 05, 2010, 03:43:38 pm »
In the "Directions" there are none for sparging or boiling.  Is that really accurate?  Straight from mash to fermentation?

jaybeerman

Re: American Barleywine Recipe Nov/Dec 2010 Issue
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 07:50:15 pm »
It does say, "sparge water adjusted to ph 5.5 with phosphoric acid." Boil it for 90 minutes.  Need help figuring the mash quarts per pound of grain and the amount of water to use for the sparge?

Offline miguelpanderland

• Cellarman
  • Glendale, WI
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 08:06:40 pm »
I do need help figuring those things out, thanks. 

Also, thanks for pointing out the sparge water note.  As soon as you mentioned it I remembered reading it. 

Mash will be in the neighborhood of 20L, right?  I've no idea how to figure out the amount for sparging.  How long of a boil do you suppose?

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 08:54:48 am »
In the "Directions" there are none for sparging or boiling.  Is that really accurate?  Straight from mash to fermentation?

Sorry, I tend not to over-specify recipes because of the adjustments each brewer needs to make on their own systems. Basically, if I'm sparging, I sparge until I have sufficient preboil volume not until I run out of a predetermined amount of sparge water.  Also, I don't worry about quarts per pound very much when mashing.  Mix until the consistency looks right.  If you need a target, use 1.5 qts/lb.  But there's no problems with using 2 qts/lb.  Many people who make barleywines are constrained by the size of their equipment, so they adjust anyway.

If you use more water in the mash, you'll need less for the sparge and vice versa.  The mash water and the sparge water are the same; prepare brewing liquor when you start and use it whenever you need water.  You can boil from 75 minutes and up.  I generally do 90 minute boils unless something unusual is going on.  Just adjust your preboil volume so that you hit your target based on the boil length.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 09:17:16 am »
A very sensible approach, Gordon.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline miguelpanderland

• Cellarman
  • Glendale, WI
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 03:13:13 pm »
Awesome info, everyone.  Thanks!  I can't wait to get after this!

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 03:53:08 pm »
"Sparging until pre-boil volume is achieved."

Your way makes more sense, Gordon.  I don't know, but for some reason my BeerSmith calculator seems to recommend more water for sparging etc than necessary.  Lately, i've been getting too much volume in the BK.