Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Poll

Which would you buy (at nearly the same price per pound)

Gambrinus Pils
1 (50%)
Cargill IdaPils
1 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: Gambrinus Pils or Cargill IdaPils?  (Read 4073 times)

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
Gambrinus Pils or Cargill IdaPils?
« on: November 15, 2010, 02:37:12 pm »
I am running out of my Cargill 2-row and was thinking about getting some pils this time around (I have plenty of MO already). I know a good brewery that uses nothing but Gambrinus Pils as their base malt (Double Mountain Brewing Company in Hood River, OR), and it would be nice to have some Pils available.

I would be using this malt as a base malt in some APA's and IPA's, as well has beers traditionally made with European pilsner malt.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Gambrinus Pils or Cargill IdaPils?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 04:37:41 pm »
I don't like pils as a base malt for pale ales, I can always taste it, including in Double Mountain's beers.   :-\

But FWIW, I use Weyermann pils as my base malt where pils is appropriate.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 06:25:42 pm »
In a pinch I would sub some Pils malt for pale malt but not as the majority of grist bill because I also don't think the flavor of pils malt lends itself well in an American Ales.  It doesn't have the maltiness of a 2 row pale ale, it's more of a grainy sweetness.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Ron Price

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 09:28:28 pm »
I have never tried it, but I like Double Mountain's beer a lot, so I thought it was worth a shot - also, I already have a bunch of TF Maris Otter and I would want some pils for other styles (maybe). I suppose I could always get Gambrinus Pale or another bag of Cargill 2-row (though I haven't been crazy about it).

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 09:40:16 pm »
Back in the good old days(2 years ago) I was able to buy all my malt from a brewpub nearby and I was paying about $20 for a bag of IdaPils.  It was great for all my Belgian beers, and the few lagers I brewed.  Now the new brewer can't be bothered with homebrewers, we're just an irritant to him.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 12:06:26 am »
I have never tried it, but I like Double Mountain's beer a lot, so I thought it was worth a shot - also, I already have a bunch of TF Maris Otter and I would want some pils for other styles (maybe). I suppose I could always get Gambrinus Pale or another bag of Cargill 2-row (though I haven't been crazy about it).
I'm not suggesting that DM makes bad beers, I like them too.  I can just tell they use pils malt, and I think it'd be better if they switched the base.  But that's me, if you like that flavor, then go for it.  Since you already have the Maris Otter, use that in pale ales and get the pils for making lagers and stuff. ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 01:09:49 am »
I don't really make lagers (just not a fan of giant starters and waiting forever). But I brew the occasional Altbier and Belgian ale. Truth is, easily 50% of my beers are APAs and IPAs, and a solid 25% are porters, brown ales, and stouts. I guess I will get a sack of the Gambrinus pils this once (been meaning to do a Double Mountain IRA clone). After 10 gallons of IRA (the brewer gave me the close recipe), if I'm not crazy about how it works in an APA, I'll just use up the rest of the sack on a Schwarzbier or a Baltic Porter (been meaning to try my hand at those eventually).

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 11:26:35 pm »
Best Malz Pilzen  is my goto base malt ..good beers come from this malt  8)
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 06:09:04 am »
For my IPA I split the basemalt 50/50 with Pils and MO. Yeah, I think I can taste the pils as well. And I like it. The reason I started doing it this way is because for an American IPA I think some MO works well, but not 100%. And since I don't keep much US 2 row on hand it is easier for me just to split the pils and MO down the middle.

I'm also a big fan of Best Pils malt.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 12:30:13 pm »
I like pils malt. A bit grainy but that goes well with some of my ales. Can't advise on the two brands though. All I can get here is European malt or Briess.

Have to watch it closely in the boil though. Has shown a greater tendency to boil-over than 2-row. I hover and add my drops and crisis is averted.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis