Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: green chiles  (Read 7942 times)

jaybeerman

green chiles
« on: November 23, 2010, 07:16:55 pm »
Ok so I just finished washing a 1/2 bushel of fresh roasted chiles from a neighbor’s farm and I need a fresh recipe (salsa, pico, etc).  Normally I'll make a 50/50 blend of chiles and garlic with heavy salt and black pepper and eat that on chips.  I did just have a slice of, straight out of the oven, cornbread with a couple chiles and butter; washed it down with a slightly smoky homebrewed "table stout."  That was nice but I still need some inspiration.  What do you have for me?

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: green chiles
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 10:29:43 pm »
50/50 chile and garlic is pretty intense, even for me.  I love pico-but it's probably 50% tomatoes, 40% peppers(chiles and jalapenos) and the rest onion, cilantro and garlic.  How hot are these peppers?  That's pretty variable. The Big Jims I bought are pretty damn hot but we use them when we want chile flavor without the severe burn, but the Barkers from the same farm are just plain hot(but tasty).  We make the pico and use it on chips, fried eggs, omelettes, hamburgers, hot dogs, etc.  Down here  it's a staple food.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

jaybeerman

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 10:58:38 pm »
50/50 chile and garlic is pretty intense, even for me.  I love pico-but it's probably 50% tomatoes, 40% peppers(chiles and jalapenos) and the rest onion, cilantro and garlic.  How hot are these peppers?  That's pretty variable. The Big Jims I bought are pretty damn hot but we use them when we want chile flavor without the severe burn, but the Barkers from the same farm are just plain hot(but tasty).  We make the pico and use it on chips, fried eggs, omelettes, hamburgers, hot dogs, etc.  Down here  it's a staple food.

hey. yes it's intense but oh so good.  This batch of chiles isn't that hot; I can't really recall but I think he said they were "College" chiles which might be a local CSU (extension) variety?  Staple food is right though, cheers

jaybeerman

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 02:28:56 pm »
WOW, no recipes?!  I guess I'll share a recipe, I'll make this today to eat while I'm starting some of the side dishes for t-day

PESTO (Mexican style)
6-7 whole roasted green chiles (med to large)
3 -4 galic cloves (use the side of a knife blade to squish the garlic)
juice of 1/2 lime
1/2 cup Olive Oil
1/3 cup pine nuts
pinch of salt

Blend thoroughly, eat on chips.  Sometimes I blend in a small handfull of cilantro but not always. 

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 06:06:49 am »
I love green chilies, wish they grew around here!

I love roasting 4 or 5 green chilies over a fire, grilling some slabs of onion (basically sliced into rafts and secured with toothpicks) and a decent steak (sirloin is good).  Peel the chilies and slice, slice up the onions, and thinly slice the grilled steak on a diagonal.  Add more spices if you like, mix it all up, and put on crusty grilled bread, maybe with some cheese or roasted garlic.  Great sandwich!

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 07:13:44 am »
I love green chilies, wish they grew around here!

I love roasting 4 or 5 green chilies over a fire, grilling some slabs of onion (basically sliced into rafts and secured with toothpicks) and a decent steak (sirloin is good).  Peel the chilies and slice, slice up the onions, and thinly slice the grilled steak on a diagonal.  Add more spices if you like, mix it all up, and put on crusty grilled bread, maybe with some cheese or roasted garlic.  Great sandwich!
Add red and green bell peppers, put it on a tortilla with cheese, pico de gallo and some avocado and it's steak fajitas.  I foresee turkey fajitas in the near future.
Well be having green chile turkey enchiladas tomorrow with a green chile pumpkin soup.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 07:25:10 am »
Well be having green chile turkey enchiladas tomorrow

With roasted tomatillos, onions, garlic and cilantro in the sauce too?  I've done that before, and it's a great use of leftover turkey.  I like to heat up the turkey in some of the sauce before making them to help ensure they're moist.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline kerneldustjacket

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 08:06:08 am »
We make the pico and use it on chips, fried eggs, omelettes, hamburgers, hot dogs, etc.  Down here  it's a staple food.
+1  My wife puts pico on everything as well...awesome stuff.
So awesome that I started planting my own patch of chiles...every two weeks, a 4 x 8 foot space yields what you see in the pic below...

My "quick make" Pico de Gallo recipe:
12 peppers; a blend of jalapeño, cowhorn, sweet and hot banana -- but mostly jalapeño
1 large onion, any variety
two cans Rotel diced tomatoes with cilantro & lime juice
two cloves crushed garlic
salt and pepper to taste
Dice all peppers and onion to 1/8" size; blend all ingrediants. Flavor improves as the mix melds together over time...

Given more time, I'll drop the cans of Rotel and use petite diced tomatoes, fresh lime juice, and fresh chopped cilantro.

I'm thinking I'll expand the Chile garden next year...I have better luck with them compared to hops in our hot, humid climate.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 08:13:20 am by kerneldustjacket »
John Wilson
Savannah Brewers League
Savannah, GA

jaybeerman

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 12:43:14 pm »
Kernel, those are good looking peppers

Gordon, a good roasted tomatillo sauce is one of the finest things life has to offer.

Corky, turkey enchiladas are pretty awesome especially with a good tomatillo sauce.  Btw, I think the chiles/garlic mix looks closer to 70/30, of course it's a mix to taste recipe.

Nic,  chiles make just about any sandwich great.  I’ve been stuck on ham and swiss w/chiles

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 03:08:43 pm »
Not knowing what type of chiles you have makes it tough to recommend a recipe, I think.  I was trying to Google a recipe by Diane Kennedy, but came up empty.  Maybe one of these?
http://cookinginmexico.com/2010/04/01/salsa-verde-green-chile-sauce/

Offline cheba420

• Brewer
  • Can I get a beer up in here?
    • The Beer Research Institute
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 08:38:29 pm »
Take a flank steak and slice a big pocket into it. Take 4-5 whole, roasted, hot NM green chilies (seeds removed) and stuff them with some queso fresco. Marinate the steak in some olive oil, lime juice, salt and spice marinade for an hour or two. Stuff the steak with the cheese stuffed green chilies. Lace the pocket up with a skewer and grill that thing up. 6-8 minutes per side. Keep the lime halves in the marinade and use them to baste the meat while it cooks.

I slice it and serve it with tortillas, rice and black beans.

Es muy bueno!!!
Matt
Mesa, AZ.

On Tap: Vanilla Porter, Belgian Blonde, Saison, Black IPA, Punkin Porter
Primary: Pale 31 Clone, Raspberry Cider
Secondary: Vanilla Porter
Conditioning: Brett IPA
Bottles:Mosaic Wheat
On Deck: Flanders Red, Berliner weisse, Punkin Saison, Saison Brett

jaybeerman

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 09:33:14 pm »
Not knowing what type of chiles you have makes it tough to recommend a recipe, I think.  I was trying to Google a recipe by Diane Kennedy, but came up empty.  Maybe one of these?
http://cookinginmexico.com/2010/04/01/salsa-verde-green-chile-sauce/

I'm sorry; I should have finished the explanation.  As far as I can recall College chiles are a local cross variety that's essentially a half step up or down from Big Jim (might be a cross between New Mexico and Big Jim, New Mexico and Barker, or maybe not).  

Mmm...Chilaquiles (w/ runny yolks).  Funny how something so simple can be so damn good.

Salsa Verde is hard to beat but I've found something I might like better.  I can't quite pin it down but it's a tomatillo and chipotle sauce.  The closest I've been to getting the right flavor was with a Rick Bayless recipe.  I think tomorrow I'll make a batch with green chiles and chipotle.  cheers

jaybeerman

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 01:25:01 pm »
Take a flank steak and slice a big pocket into it. Take 4-5 whole, roasted, hot NM green chilies (seeds removed) and stuff them with some queso fresco. Marinate the steak in some olive oil, lime juice, salt and spice marinade for an hour or two. Stuff the steak with the cheese stuffed green chilies. Lace the pocket up with a skewer and grill that thing up. 6-8 minutes per side. Keep the lime halves in the marinade and use them to baste the meat while it cooks.

Es muy bueno!!!

Looks good, might make a version of this over coals.  I could see a left-overs sandwich with crusty grilled bread like nic was saying

Offline cheba420

• Brewer
  • Can I get a beer up in here?
    • The Beer Research Institute
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2010, 01:48:45 pm »

Es muy bueno!!!

Looks good, might make a version of this over coals.  I could see a left-overs sandwich with crusty grilled bread like nic was saying

Over coals for sure. You want it to taste like fire, not gas!!!
Matt
Mesa, AZ.

On Tap: Vanilla Porter, Belgian Blonde, Saison, Black IPA, Punkin Porter
Primary: Pale 31 Clone, Raspberry Cider
Secondary: Vanilla Porter
Conditioning: Brett IPA
Bottles:Mosaic Wheat
On Deck: Flanders Red, Berliner weisse, Punkin Saison, Saison Brett

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, 03:39:48 pm »
Bump...old topic new post.  Got a 1/2 bushel of chilies today.  1/4 extra hot  1/4 hot (not to me) will be peeling
and preserving chilies...smell so good charring in the basket

A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.