Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Diabetic and Beer  (Read 7237 times)

Offline Hydro

• Cellarman
Diabetic and Beer
« on: August 21, 2010, 01:39:16 pm »
A friend of mine is a diabetic.  I would like to brew a beer that would be acceptable to a person who has diabetices.   
Can anyone help me in understanding what I may need to do to share the enjoyment of brewing a beer which they would be able to drink without getting head aches? 

Thanks in advance,
Robert
For the Love of Beer,
Hydro

On Tap Now:
1. Irish Red Ale
2. American Amber Ale
3. Kolsch
4. Scotch Ale
5. Strong Scotch Ale
6. Key Lime Pie (11%) Chilled to 29 deg. F. you can not even taste the alcohol.

It is time to start brewing again.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Diabetic and Beer
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 03:40:45 pm »
Light beer low in calories and alcohol. Extract and cane sugar.

Example recipe for 6 gallons:

4-5# DME pale or dark
1# cane sugar
Shoot for an OG of 1.035 to 1.045 & a FG of 1.010 or less.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 03:55:33 pm »
For diabetics, the amount of carbs is what matters.  You'll want to make a highly attenuated beer with very low levels of residual sugars or carbs.

Low OG recipe
Low mash temps (148-150F; produces less dextrins)
Longer mash times (to give enzymes more time to work)
Beano in the fermenter (once fermentation begins/yeast have entered anaerobic phase)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beano_(dietary_supplement)
Or consider adding amylase in the fermenter.

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 06:03:30 pm »
having a beer of any kind now and then won't mess up their sugar enough to worry about. type i diabetics are usually quite good at adjusting their insulin based on the carb load.  type 2 diabetics won't fluctuate enough to cause an acute problem, nore will it make a long term impact.  in short their sugar will bump up briefly with a beer or two but won't be enough to induce a coma if they are otherwise in good control.  having several beers everyday will screw up their long term sugar. (hga1c will bump up)  In 80 percent of my patients their type 2 diabeties is weight related. not type of food.  fix the weight first.
Don AHA member

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 01:58:11 pm »
Have them drink it along side a meal.

Offline noonancm

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 04:13:43 pm »
Besides drinking it along side a meal, one of the things I try to do is monitor the number of carbs in the the beer. There are several websites as well as brewing programs such as Beersmith that when you try to calculate the alcohol content base on the hydrometer readings, they calculate the carbs.

Offline valorian

• 1st Kit
    • Forest City Brewers
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 10:32:31 am »
My wife has been Type 1 Diabetic for 33 years and she is a homebrewer herself. Diabetics need to remember that when they drink Alcohol, this will cause their blood sugar to briefly drop before it starts to rise.

But, as stated above, To make a beer as easy as possible, brew a beer with little residual sugars. Also, use Beersmith or Promash as these programs will estimate that carbs in the beer you are brewing. 

Offline Hydro

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 02:06:38 pm »
I want to thank you all for your thoughts about how to create a beer for a person who has diabetes.  I wanted to share with you, what I plan on brewing.  It will be like a Blue Moon although, this brew will possibly have a bit more flavor involved.  Hopefully his taste buds will not be overwhelmed, since he is a Lite Beer drinker.  Yes I am pushing it in a couple of places.  I am using a Belgian Strong Ale Yeast (Wyeast Labs #1388),  Amylase Enzyme, and Beano. There is a back up plan using Lalvin 71B-1122 Yeast-Wine (Day 14 added to the Tertiary Fermenter).  The thought came to me the other evening.  I used to make wine back in the later 80's and did not know how to stop the fermentation at that time.  So I calculated how much sugar to add to the slury to leave a residual sweetness to the wine.  Of course my wines were strong in ABV. 

Looking forward to sharing my results and findings with you all.

For the Love of Beer,
Robert

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Orange Moon Ale v1 Diabetic Brewed Multi-Rest Mash 4
Brewer: Robert Woodson
Asst Brewer:
Style: Belgian Specialty Ale
TYPE: Partial Mash
Taste: (35.0) The goal of this beer is to add flavor of orange to a light beer so as a person who has diabetes will be able to enjoy drinking it. 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal     
Boil Size: 7.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.030 SG
Estimated Color: 6.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 15.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Boil Time: 65 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU     
2.25 lb       Light Dry Extract (1Lb) Muntons   (20.0 SRDry Extract  50.00 %       
1.00 lb       Wheat Dry Extract Muntons (0.0 SRM)       Dry Extract  22.22 %       
0.75 lb       Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM)                 Grain        16.67 %       
0.50 lb       Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)                    Grain        11.11 %       
0.55 oz       Hallertauer [3.00 %]  (65 min)            Hops         6.4 IBU       
0.50 oz       Simcoe [11.90 %]  (10 min)                Hops         8.2 IBU       
0.25 oz       Hallertauer [3.00 %]  (10 min)            Hops         1.0 IBU       
0.28 tsp      Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min)                Misc                       
1.00 tsp      Amylase Enzyme (Add when pitching yeast) (Misc                       
1.00 oz       Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min)             Misc                       
1.00 oz       Orange Peel Sweet (Boil 5.0 min)          Misc                       
1.00 tsp      Yeast Nutrient (Add before yeast) (PrimaryMisc                       
1.10 tbsp     PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min)         Misc                       
2.00 oz       Orange Peel, Sweet Fresh Zest (Boil 5.0 miMisc                       
4.00 items    Beano (Primary 1.0 days)                  Misc                       
8.00 oz       Malto-Dextrine (Boil 65.0 min)            Misc                       
1 Pkgs        Belgian Strong Ale Yeast-Ale (Wyeast Labs #1388)                     
1 Pkgs        Lalvin 71B-1122 Yeast-Wine (Day 14 add to Tertiary Fermenter)               

Mash Schedule: Temperature Mash, 4 Step, Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 1.25 lb
----------------------------
Temperature Mash, 4 Step, Full Body
Step Time     Name               Description                         Step Temp     
30 min        Dough-In           Add 12.00 qt of water at 114.5 F    113.0 F       
30 min        Protein Rest       Heat to 122.0 F over 2 min          122.0 F       
60 min        Protein Rest       Heat to 145.0 F over 2 min          145.0 F       
60 min        Saccharification   Heat to 150.0 F over 15 min         150.0 F       
10 min        Mash Out           Heat to 168.0 F over 10 min         168.0 F       

Notes:
------
Keep in mind that a care provider said, "having a beer of any kind now and then won't mess up
their sugar enough to worry about. type 1 diabetics are usually quite good at adjusting their
insulin based on the carb load.  type 2 diabetics won't fluctuate enough to cause an
acute problem, nore will it make a long term impact.  in short their sugar will bump up
briefly with a beer or two but won't be enough to induce a coma if they are otherwise in
good control.  having several beers everyday will screw up their long term sugar.
 (hga1c will bump up)  In 80 percent of my patients their type 2 diabeties is weight related.
not type of food.  fix the weight first."

For diabetics, the amount of carbs is what matters.  You'll want to make a highly attenuated beer
with very low levels of residual sugars or carbs.

Low OG recipe
Low mash temps (148-150F; produces less dextrins)
Longer mash times (to give enzymes more time to work)
Beano in the fermenter (once fermentation begins/yeast have entered anaerobic phase)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beano_(dietary_supplement)
Or consider adding amylase in the fermenter.

Taste During Mash and Wart Process:
Start with 3 Gallons of Reverse Osmosis water add 1 TBS of 5.2 PH Stabalizer. Remove  Belgian Strong Ale Wyeast Labs #1388 packet from refrigerator and set on to counter top to come to room temp.   (break the internal bag in the Belgian Strong Ale Wyeast Labs #1388 packet)
1.  113 Degree -- 30 Minutes = Describe Flavor
2.  122 Degree -- 30 Minutes = Describe Flavor
3.  145 Degree -- 60 Minutes = Describe Flavor
4.  150 Degree -- 60 Minutes = Describe Flavor
5.  160 Degree -- Sparge with 3.75 galons = same (set bag of grains in strainer on a plate.  add drippings to wart as grain bag drains - sweet)
6.  180 -- Add LME and stur in.   Add enough water to bring to 7.0 gallons.
7.  Bring to Boil -- 65 Minutes = Add .55 oz. Hallertauer Hops Pelets.  Bittering
8.  During Boil -- 15 Minutes  =  Add Irish Moss to aid in clarity.
8.  During Boil -- 10 Minutes =  Add .5 oz Simcoe Hops Pelets.  Add .25 oz Hallertauer Hops Pelets.  Aroma   
9.  During Boil --  5 Minutes =  Add 1 oz. Coriander Seed.  Add 2 oz. Orange Peel, Sweet Fresh Zest.  Aroma 
10. Move Boil Pot to sink.  Add emersion chiller and monitor temp.  Reduce temp to 65 degrees.
11.  Check Original Gravity OG. =  1.030  ?
12.  Rack to 6 Gallon Carboy.
13.  Yeast Nutrient (Add before yeast)
14.  Amylase Enzyme (Add when pitching yeast) 
15.  Add Belgian Strong Ale Wyeast Labs #1388 packet to Carboy.
16.  Put cork in Carboy and aerate by rolling on floor 4 -8 Minutes.
17.  Move Carboy to basement.  Remove cork and add seal with 5/16 drain hose imersed into a 1 gallon container of sanitation solution.
18.  Monitor the Carboy.  Once the yeast start to circulate and generate CO2 then it is time to add the Beano.
19.  On day 7.  Rack Orange Moon Ale to secondary fermenter.
20.  On Day 11.  Wednesday check specific gravity to determine if Lalvin yeast is needed.  Would like the specific gravity to be neer 1.005 or less. Create a one quart starter on Wednesday for the Lalvin 71B-1122 yeast,  Yeast Nutrient (Add to yeast starter).     
21.  Rack Orange Moon Ale to tertiary fermenter.  Let rest for 1 week to clearify and burn additional carbohydrates.  May rack over to fourth carboy to enhance clarity and rest for 1 more week.
22.  On day 28.  Check Final Gravity.  Rack tertiary carboy of Orange Moon over to the cornie keg.  Force carbonate the keg and condition the Orange Moon Ale for 4 weeks. 
23.  Week 8 or day 48.  Use beer gun to bottle and cap for Ricky to taste and enjoy.   

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For the Love of Beer,
Hydro

On Tap Now:
1. Irish Red Ale
2. American Amber Ale
3. Kolsch
4. Scotch Ale
5. Strong Scotch Ale

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 02:19:30 pm »
Your 4 step temp mash shows a lot of heat being delivered in a short period of time.  You might want to deliver that heat more gently and slowly over, say 10-15 minutes, while stirring the mash to prevent scorching of the grains and risking a darker beer (higher SRMs).  Otherwise, looks like a good start.  I'd be curious to know how much flavor is affected by the use of beano or amylase in the fermenter.  Do let us know how it turns out if you go that route.

Offline Hydro

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 08:02:47 pm »
Richardt,
Thanks for noticing the temperature rise time of being only 2 minutes.  That was probably an oversite on my part when using Beer Smith.  In reality the rise times are actually longer.
For the Love of Beer,
Hydro

On Tap Now:
1. Irish Red Ale
2. American Amber Ale
3. Kolsch
4. Scotch Ale
5. Strong Scotch Ale

Offline Hydro

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 08:30:49 pm »
I wanted to share with you some of my findings.  

I went ahead and split the brew into two carboys.  One I will work as a diabetic brew, the other as a Lite Belgian.

Step #14.  Amylase Enzyme (Add when pitching yeast), after giving this more thought, I felt that the amylase enzyme should have been added to the mash instead of when pitching the yeast in the primary fermenter.
The reason behind my thought was that the amylase enzyme is used to break down the long chain sugars and is temperature sensative.  This is supported in John Palmer's book.  I kept digging for more supporting information and found Amylase Enzyme in the Brew Masters Bible under additives.  The book specifically states to add to the mash.  Next time I will add Amylase Enzyme to the Mash.

I did add 3 tablets of beano to the diabetic brew on day 3, Wednesday evening, of fermentation.  Within 5 minutes you could see small bubbles forming on the surface and 15 - 20 minutes more bubbles comming up through the krousen which had settled on the surface of the brew in the fermenter.  

Unfortunately I broke my hydrometer when going down to the basement to rack the primary over to the secondary.  I did save a bit of wart, and put in a mason jar.  I placed this into my kegerator at about 35 degrees.  This should shutdown the yeast.  Will check later.  The initial taste test of the diabetic is, well, it does not taste as good as the other half of regular lite belgian brew.   It seems to have eleminated the fruit flavors and esters that I was hoping to develope in the diabetic brew.  Right now the hops seem to dominate with a bitter after taste.  This is due to the beano and may have to condition for a while to get better, if it ever will.  

For the love of beer.
Will keep you posted.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 08:36:26 pm by robertwoodson »
For the Love of Beer,
Hydro

On Tap Now:
1. Irish Red Ale
2. American Amber Ale
3. Kolsch
4. Scotch Ale
5. Strong Scotch Ale

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 09:29:31 pm »
From my understanding, you are trying to make a low carb beer.  If it's really that important I think you should stick with adding the amylase to the fermenter.  It will be more active in the mash because of the temperature, but it will also be deactivated by the boil so whatever sugars are in the wort are what you'll have in the fermenter, whether they are fermentable sugars or not.  I'm sure pro brewers add it to the mash if they are using a lot of adjuncts and/or malt with low diastatic power, but they can deactivate it when it gets to the point that they want, whereas you want it completely dry (right?).  By adding it to the fermenter it will work more slowly, but it will work for as long as it needs to really dry the beer out.

Rather than add it in primary with the yeast though, you might try putting it in secondary.  It might help retain some of the yeast character you're going for.  Maybe not though, but I figure it's worth a try.

Just some thoughts.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Hydro

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 07:56:50 pm »
Tom,
Currently the Lite Belgian has Amilase Enzymes in it, which were added at the time that yeast was pitched.  I split the 5.5 gallon carboy after aeration.  Yes the flavors are nicer with the Lite Belgian, as compared with the diabetic beano version.  Right now,  other then the flavor and that more sugar has been converted in the beano diabetic version, the two carboys are the same.  The only difference between the two carboys is that I added 3 tablets of beano to the diabetic carboy.

Once I get another hydrometer, I will update with the specific gravities of both brews.  Oh, by the way my OG started at 1.040.

Yes my goal is to make a low carb beer that tastes good. 

For the Love of Beer.
For the Love of Beer,
Hydro

On Tap Now:
1. Irish Red Ale
2. American Amber Ale
3. Kolsch
4. Scotch Ale
5. Strong Scotch Ale

Offline Hydro

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 08:00:58 pm »
Well, it has been a while since I have updated the group about the diabetic brews which I made. 

I split the 5.5 gallons in to two carboys.  Given enough time to condition both brews turned out to be quite delicious.  The diabetic beano version of the Blue Moon my wife liked a lot.  She liked that it was low in carbs and had a crisp slight orange flavor and that the head looked like it was a beautiful mound of whipped cream.   My son in law's father, who happens to be a diabetic drank a bottle of this on thanksgiving and he enjoyed it also.   Unfortunately I had a slight leak on the cornie keg liquid seal and almost lost all of the beano version of the Belgian. It leaked out onto my kegerator floor.  Oh what a waste of a good brew.  I was able to salvage just 3 bottles out of the keg.  I will take two to my friend Ricky and will let you know what he thinks.  I am looking forward to brewing a full batch of this brew in the future.  Although the Lite Belgian version was too hoppy for my wife.  For those of you who do like a hoppy simco slightly orange flavored Belgian you would like this brew.  It actually has become vary pleasing to my palate and I will brew it again also.

For the Love of Beer.
For the Love of Beer,
Hydro

On Tap Now:
1. Irish Red Ale
2. American Amber Ale
3. Kolsch
4. Scotch Ale
5. Strong Scotch Ale