Author Topic: Help! All my beers have the same "off" fore/aftertaste  (Read 4962 times)

Offline bonjour

• Administrator
  • Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
    • View Profile
Re: Help! All my beers have the same "off" fore/aftertaste
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2010, 08:21:55 AM »
try a laundry bucket with water, put a tee shirt (or something) over the fermenter to wick the water, and blow a fan on it,  if that doesn't drop the temp enough drop some ice in (2l bottles frozen should work well).
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • BJCP
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2010, 08:24:57 AM »
Yes, try liquid yeast and see if it makes a difference.  Make a starter, though.  Dry yeast can be a bit hit or miss for me; I've had some give me wild yeast phenolics.  More people see to like the Safale dry yeast, so you could try that.  See if you can get some GO-FERM and rehydrate your dry yeast before you pitch it; that should help its viability.

Regarding fermentation temps, do you have a cellar?  Otherwise you can try the "swamp cooler" approach.  Wet t-shirt and a fan.  You can also buy a large round plastic laundry tub and put the carboy in there, fill it about 2/3 full of water, and then use frozen 1L bottles of water to keep the temps down.  You'll have to swap them twice a day.  Dedicated fridge/freezer with a temperature control is always a possibility, but that's $$$.

Sounds like you need to adjust your sanitation regimen too.  I agree that water isn't likely your problem.  Try yeast and sanitation methods first, along with lower fermentation temps.  Then check extract brands/age/condition.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline ipaguy

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2010, 10:06:48 AM »
One thing I noticed is that you said you sterlize with B-Brite.  B-Brite is an oxy-type cleanser that is not really for sanitizing.

+1.  StarSan is great for sanitizing.  The acidity should also be helpful in removing any last traces of oxy-type cleansers, such as B-Brite or OxyClean.
Edit - If you're 'sanitizing' with B-Brite, what are you using for rinse water?  If it's not boiled, that's a very likely source of infection.  No-rinse sanitizers are a truly wonderful invention.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 11:06:00 AM by ipaguy »
Primary: gotlandsdricke/alt/dunkel hybrid
Secondary: pale barleywine,
Bottled:  Gotlandsdricke
               Oatmeal/blackberry stout
               Honey Kolsch

Offline wakenick

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2010, 10:36:57 AM »
Thanks, all, again for all the great recs and advice.