Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Barleywine and Second Runnings...  (Read 4447 times)

Offline miguelpanderland

• Cellarman
  • Glendale, WI
Barleywine and Second Runnings...
« on: December 05, 2010, 01:48:21 pm »
Planning on brewing a barleywine in January for next year.  Any thoughts on whether or not this is a good candidate for a second runnings?  If so, any recommendations?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Barleywine and Second Runnings...
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 01:56:42 pm »
What OG are you shooting for with your BW?  I go for about 1.100 no sparge, and get a second runnings beer in the 1.050-1.060 range.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline miguelpanderland

• Cellarman
  • Glendale, WI
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 02:07:29 pm »
1.100 is the aim.  This will be my first barleywine and I simply figured that as long as I'm using all that malt, I ought to put it to good use.

What style do you craft for your second runnings beer?

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 02:10:33 pm »
I would pick something English or even a Pale Ale
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 08:39:20 am »
Throw some crystal and chocolate on top, sparge, and make an English brown ale.  I like to mix some of the first runnings back in, otherwise I find a pure second runnings beer to be excessively grainy.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 09:19:21 am »
I just wing the second runnings beer.  It usually ends up as an APA or Am. brown.  As Gordon suggests, we throw in some crystal to alleviate the thinness that can come form a second runnings beer.  Beyond that, it's whatever strikes our fancy....chocolate, Victory, maybe some Munich (altho9ugh you do have to give it time to convert)...

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 05:38:56 pm »
This is good info.  I plan on making a BW on Jan.1st (made my first last Jan.1st) and this sounds like a good plan of making two beers since BW takes so long to enjoy.  How do you add the crystal to the second runnings?
Dan Chisholm

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 05:40:52 pm »
sorry, I just saw Gordon's post :-[
Dan Chisholm

Offline miguelpanderland

• Cellarman
  • Glendale, WI
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 08:27:11 pm »
I just wing the second runnings beer.  It usually ends up as an APA or Am. brown.  As Gordon suggests, we throw in some crystal to alleviate the thinness that can come form a second runnings beer.  Beyond that, it's whatever strikes our fancy....chocolate, Victory, maybe some Munich (altho9ugh you do have to give it time to convert)...

I've not used Munich malt before.  Conversion takes longer than a 60 min. mash?

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 09:53:41 am »
If I cap the mash during second runnings, it's always with something that can be steeped not something that needs to be mashed.  If I wanted to toss some Munich in, I think I'd just do a mini-mash in a side pot while the main mash was going, and then mix it in after the first batch had been run off.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 10:31:33 am »
I've not used Munich malt before.  Conversion takes longer than a 60 min. mash?

He's referring to adding the Munich into the mash after the first runnings have been drawn off.  In that case you need to allow time for the Munich to convert.  Or as Gordon says run a mini-mash alongside the main mash to save time.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 01:00:57 pm »
This is good info.  I plan on making a BW on Jan.1st (made my first last Jan.1st) and this sounds like a good plan of making two beers since BW takes so long to enjoy.  How do you add the crystal to the second runnings?

Just add it to the mash tun before you add the water for the 2nd beer.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 01:01:40 pm »
If I cap the mash during second runnings, it's always with something that can be steeped not something that needs to be mashed.  If I wanted to toss some Munich in, I think I'd just do a mini-mash in a side pot while the main mash was going, and then mix it in after the first batch had been run off.

That's a good idea.  I just add it to the main mash and wait 20 min. or so before I run off.

www.dennybrew.com