Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Starter Blowout  (Read 1860 times)

Offline bendbrew

• Assistant Brewer
Starter Blowout
« on: November 26, 2010, 07:15:25 am »
I would appreciate your input on this.  Yesterday I created a 2L starter for my WYeast 1469.  200gms to total of 2L, added 1/8tsp of yeast nutrient, some oxygen placed onto a stir plate (with aluminum foil) and off to bed.  I woke up this morning to find a mess.  It had erupted.  I doesn't appear that I lost much liquid volume but there was good amount of  krausen on the sides of the flask and stir plate.  I placed a stanitized stopper and airlock, sprayed the top with star sans and then wiped everything done.  Also, the aluminum foil cover had never been pushed off, just raised.

So, should I risk pitching this yeast?  Are there other things to be concerned about.  I actually made two starters (doing a 10 gallon batch of Timothy Taylor's Landlord with an estimated OG of 1.047 to 1.050

Thanks

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Re: Starter Blowout
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 07:24:06 am »
yes, pitch it.

if stuff was coming out, bad guys weren't going in.

I've had this happen a couple of times, mainly when the stir bar threw and the flask was a little over full.  Just use a paper towel doused in santizer to clean up the sides of the neck of your flask, put some new tin foil on top (tightly since you're done with the stir plate I assume) and keep till you're ready to pitch.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 07:28:07 am »
Agree with your current starter being OK to pitch.

Consider using a few drops of FermCap-S next time when you're making up the starter (put the drops in before or when you're boiling the starter wort, not after it has been chilled).  It also helps prevent boil overs in the flasks.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 08:40:06 am »
Agree with your current starter being OK to pitch.

Consider using a few drops of FermCap-S next time when you're making up the starter (put the drops in before or when you're boiling the starter wort, not after it has been chilled).  It also helps prevent boil overs in the flasks.

+1 on the fermcap.  I use it in pretty much every starter I make now.
Clint
Wort Hogs