Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New Tip. Thought I would share...  (Read 2074 times)

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
New Tip. Thought I would share...
« on: January 17, 2011, 11:35:16 pm »
So I have friends asking (begging) me for beer. I keg so it is not that easy anymore to share. Unless
they come over and have a few. So I bottle some bombers when I have a chance and take it to them.

Here is the tip. Of course bottles are clean inside and out, what I did this time, I used a clean 1 gal. rubermaid
pitcher to hold the bomber while I filled the bottle. I dialed back the CO2 pressure and filled the bottles
up. The pitcher caught the excess foam and over-fill. I capped the bottle while it was still in the pitcher (I
set is down on the counter) and filled about 4 bottles without really emptying the pitcher.

Then grabbed a mug and poured by overfill/foam and enjoyed. No waste...4 Bombers and I had about 8-10 oz
of beer to drink.

It always bugged me to see growlers filled. So much foam and beer just pouring down the drain.

Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: New Tip. Thought I would share...
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 11:46:19 pm »
That's a pretty good idea. I can see doing it for bottling too.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline brontotex

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 09:05:44 am »
Yes, it works great for bottling. I've been doing it like this for quite awhile.

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 09:44:22 am »
When I tap a growler, I first tap a beer and set aside for consumption, this takes the initial head out of the line. Then I fill the growler until the foam gets to the neck, let sit and top off a few times. No waste.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 01:16:15 pm »
It's easy to fill bottles off the tap without a bunch of foam and waste.  Just turn off the gas to the keg, bleed most of the pressure off through the release valve, purge bottle with CO2 from extra shutoff valve on manifold, fill at an angle, and cap on foam.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 02:17:31 pm »
It's easy to fill bottles off the tap without a bunch of foam and waste.  Just turn off the gas to the keg, bleed most of the pressure off through the release valve, purge bottle with CO2 from extra shutoff valve on manifold, fill at an angle, and cap on foam.

I like it. Of course you have to keep moving. If it sits too long it will build up pressure again.....(speed depending on how full the keg is).
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....