Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Trapistes Rochefort 6,8,& 10  (Read 12248 times)

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
Trapistes Rochefort 6,8,& 10
« on: November 26, 2009, 12:12:09 pm »
This beer gets all thumbs up.  It is really enjoyable.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 10:16:44 am by 1vertical »
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Trapistres Rochefort 6,8,&10
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 09:25:12 am »
Have you ever tried Herman Holtrop's "clone" recipe for it?  It's astoundingly close. I make it several times a year.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Trapistres Rochefort 6,8,&10
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 10:33:30 am »
That looks in the ballpark.  Here's the original recipe with details and comments....

http://hbd.org/hbd/archive/4181.html#4181-24
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline 1vertical

Re: Trapistes Rochefort 6,8,&10
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 05:22:37 pm »
Denny,
Yes I tried Herman's recipe. Definately close.  The blind taste test I did here at the house with some
Genuine Rochefort 8, VS my homebrewed recipe using Hermann's as a basis was preferred by blind tasters.
Freshness could be the deciding variable, that and the fact that my batch was lower in Alcohol than the monk's
which I am sure reduced harshness.

Edit: I hate it when I fat finger type something wrong in the header...sorry, my bad ...
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 10:08:49 pm by 1vertical »

Offline Siamese Moose

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 05:41:37 am »
We had the good fortune to visit Rochefort a few years ago. The brewhouse really is a brewing cathedral. The tour (given by the brewmaster, Gumar Santos) ended in the tasting room. He served us 6, then he served us 8, then 10, and then, "Which did you like?", and more came around. Then, "How about some beer for the bus?" Plus everyone got a Rochefort chalice. Very nice.

Their fermentation process is rather unusual (at least to me). They brew Tuesday through Thursday, two batches each day, and one on Friday, all of the same beer. The first batch goes into the unitank around 11:00 AM on Tuesday, and the yeast is pitched. The second batch goes on top of that, followed by each successive batch through the week. After the last batch the fermenter is exactly half-full. (They did some experimentation, and found that the flavor was not the same if the tank was filled any higher.) The temperature is held at 24° C (76° F). That beer is bottled on Monday morning, so the last batch spends less than 72 hours in the fermenter. They never dump the trub, nor dump or skim the yeast. The bottling line is very state-of-the-art, and is massively oversized compared to most breweries. They want to be able to bottle an entire week's production in one work shift, because bottling is a very noisy process, and they're trying to minimize how long they disturb the monks. The bottles are conditioned from six to ten weeks, depending on the beer. The conditioning rooms are not heated or cooled. They look like oversized garages, and the temperature is controlled by opening or closing the doors.
Please read her profile, and reelect my wife to the Governing Committee: Roxanne Westendorf

I named my brewery after my cat, Moose. He's Siamese.
Rob Westendorf
Cincinnati, OH
Bloatarian Brewing League current President
BJCP National (outranked by my wife, the Master Judge)

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 01:09:10 pm »
This beer gets all thumbs up.  It is really enjoyable.

Wish I could find some to try it.  Guess I'll have to brew the clone.  :D

Offline 1vertical

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 10:54:24 pm »
I drive 3 hours to get the commercial ones....now, I brew the clone....it is the way to go until you get
to a supplier that has the commercial one and then you can try it....
Besides, at $5.99 + a bottle, you may prefer the homebrewed beer.

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 09:32:13 am »
I like this better ;D

Offline 1vertical

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 10:00:46 am »
Ok, I'll add it to the list at the top  ;)

IMO, the more alcohol in this beer, the harsher and less smooth it gets.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 10:03:10 am by 1vertical »

Offline glitterbug

• Assistant Brewer
  • dallas, tx
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 09:33:23 am »

Rochefort 12 does not exist, someone tricked you :P
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 09:39:56 am »

Rochefort 12 does not exist, someone tricked you :P

+1

At least in recent history.
Ron Price

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
Re: Trapistes Rochefort 6,8,10, & 12
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 03:09:11 pm »
LOL ;D 

Yep its my lame ass attempt @ sarcasm.

Found the picture @
http://belgianbeerboard.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=285

Offline joelambic

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2009, 07:03:41 pm »
We had the good fortune to visit Rochefort a few years ago. The brewhouse really is a brewing cathedral. The tour (given by the brewmaster, Gumar Santos) ended in the tasting room. He served us 6, then he served us 8, then 10, and then, "Which did you like?", and more came around. Then, "How about some beer for the bus?" Plus everyone got a Rochefort chalice. Very nice.

Their fermentation process is rather unusual (at least to me). They brew Tuesday through Thursday, two batches each day, and one on Friday, all of the same beer. The first batch goes into the unitank around 11:00 AM on Tuesday, and the yeast is pitched. The second batch goes on top of that, followed by each successive batch through the week. After the last batch the fermenter is exactly half-full. (They did some experimentation, and found that the flavor was not the same if the tank was filled any higher.) The temperature is held at 24° C (76° F). That beer is bottled on Monday morning, so the last batch spends less than 72 hours in the fermenter. They never dump the trub, nor dump or skim the yeast. The bottling line is very state-of-the-art, and is massively oversized compared to most breweries. They want to be able to bottle an entire week's production in one work shift, because bottling is a very noisy process, and they're trying to minimize how long they disturb the monks. The bottles are conditioned from six to ten weeks, depending on the beer. The conditioning rooms are not heated or cooled. They look like oversized garages, and the temperature is controlled by opening or closing the doors.

I took a similar tour a couple years ago.  I did like the comment about having to be done bottling so as to not disturb the monks.

The tasting room session being able to sample young and old Rochefort bottles was a great experience.  The young versions are so different than what we get here (as are Saison Dupont and Orval, BTW) but about 1 year old in the bottle is the sweet spot for the 8.

Tour trivia question would be, "What is the dog's name?"

Offline Siamese Moose

• Cellarman
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2009, 02:52:19 pm »
Tour trivia question would be, "What is the dog's name?"

Wow, that's a new one to me. I don't remember any dogs. I guess you got the "celebrity tour".
Please read her profile, and reelect my wife to the Governing Committee: Roxanne Westendorf

I named my brewery after my cat, Moose. He's Siamese.
Rob Westendorf
Cincinnati, OH
Bloatarian Brewing League current President
BJCP National (outranked by my wife, the Master Judge)