Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Poll

Are you motivated by or Do you desire

To emulate commercial quality / Brands
Develop your own unique style
Try to make the best beer possible with the highest quality ingredients available
just brew it
Try to meet the ATF max allowable quantity
Try to brew the Highest possible Gravity successfully

Author Topic: When you brew a beer  (Read 11815 times)

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
Re: When you brew a beer
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2010, 09:41:14 am »

Whats this ->ATF max allowable quantity people are talking about? ::)
<deleted legal-mumbo-jumbo>
Pretty plain english for a legal statute... ;)

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2010, 04:55:04 pm »
I just try to do the best I can with what I have, like the rest of my life.

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2010, 05:42:10 pm »
Tubercle makes what he likes.

No need to try and duplicate commercial stuff, the original can be bought out right for a lot less trouble.

Don't try to make anything to style and send to a judge either. That will happen as soon as they start sending me one of theirs.

Plus, their taste may not be as refined as mine and what I think is a good brew may not be to their liking. 8)
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline fatdogale

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2010, 06:11:07 pm »
fatdogale likes tubercles thinking.

No need to try and duplicate commercial stuff, the original can be bought out right for a lot less trouble.

Don't try to make anything to style and send to a judge either. That will happen as soon as they start sending me one of theirs.

Plus, their taste may not be as refined as mine and what I think is a good brew may not be to their liking. 8)
John Childs

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2010, 06:21:18 pm »
Plus one to just brew it. I make what capozzoli likes. . Mostly just make stove top extract ale and it comes out pretty damn good.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline Podo

• Cellarman
  • Korea
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2010, 06:38:10 pm »
I voted for best beer possible.  In my heart I'd like to develop my own unique beer, but I don't brew enough to make this really possible, and since i have small children, don't see ever having enough time to make it happen.
So good once it hits your lips!

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2010, 09:00:23 pm »
fatdogale likes tubercles thinking.

Mikey agrees with you.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2010, 09:32:43 pm »
My objective is definitely to make the best beer possible. 

But in pursuit of that I've been submitting a fair number of beers to various competitions.  My goal is not medals but objective feedback on my beer as I work on refining my process.  So I do currently try to brew my beers to fit into the BJCP guidelines so that I'm receiving feedback I can use. 

I don't have a lot of local friends that I can rely on to give me honest feedback on my brews and I'm obviously biased.  I like the idea of sending it to a third party who will feel free to tell you if your beer sucks or could be better.  Hopefully they'll also tell you why they think that and I've had mixed results so far in that department but I have had some feedback that I think will really help me to improve those beers.

Once I get the recipes of the beers I like to brew dialed in I'll most likely not be submitting those to competitions anymore.

Clint
Wort Hogs