Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Help a veteran  (Read 3761 times)

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Help a veteran
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2010, 02:46:30 pm »
I've got one of my original buckets from 1993 that I still use-I need to rethink that also.
But I'm not really sure what question you're asking.  Is it just a general "what do I do now" or do you have a problem that needs fixing?
I agree with the others to practice more on your system as it is-10 batches a year isn't really a lot. 
Things to try are different yeasts in each bucket, dry hopping one, not the other, longer primary time, less or no secondary.  I've steeped specialty grain on the side to add to one fermenter so I have 2 very different beers from one 1o gallon batch.  But really the best thing to do is practice more.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2010, 04:29:14 pm »
I've got one of my original buckets from 1993 that I still use-I need to rethink that also.
But I'm not really sure what question you're asking.  Is it just a general "what do I do now" or do you have a problem that needs fixing?
I agree with the others to practice more on your system as it is-10 batches a year isn't really a lot. 
Things to try are different yeasts in each bucket, dry hopping one, not the other, longer primary time, less or no secondary.  I've steeped specialty grain on the side to add to one fermenter so I have 2 very different beers from one 1o gallon batch.  But really the best thing to do is practice more.

I hope you saw the snicker for the "only 10 batches a year" 

Offline beerstache

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2010, 03:08:34 pm »
In response to Denny, "Remember, the equipment doesnt make the beer...the brewer does!
I would have to say that the YEAST makes the beer, and the brewer does his best to provide the best conditions for his yeast buddies to perform their magic!

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2010, 03:16:34 pm »
Please send me your "old" buckets. I need some more.

The most expensive guitar in the world won't teach you how to play music. Our brewing forefathers made beer long before they had anything like our modern equipment. Not sure where you are trying to take the craft but concentrate on quality ingredients and sound techniques. If you like what you are already making then you have arrived.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2010, 03:18:10 pm »
I need some more.

ahem, third person...
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2010, 03:34:04 pm »
I need some more.

ahem, third person...

haha, that's the first thing I noticed as well.
Jesse

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2010, 03:44:37 pm »
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee