Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ordered a Blichmann Top Tier system  (Read 1795 times)

Offline greymane

• 1st Kit
Ordered a Blichmann Top Tier system
« on: November 24, 2010, 07:12:38 am »
I just broke down and ordered a Blichmann Top Tier system. I went with the default setup of 2 burners and one shelf. I also ordered a pump mounting bracket for my March pump and the mounting bracket for my Therminator plate chiller. I am moving up from a three level steel rack I had welded a year back. I already have a 60 qt stock pot (hot liqueur tank), a 72 qt rectangular party cooler (mash tun) and a Sabco keggle.

Any suggestions on whether to mount the mash tun on top or hot liqueur tank up top? I was thinking of using the March pump to move the hot sparge water, to insure it is sanitary prior to pumping the wort. Plus, I'm a bit uncomfortable having 12 gallons of boiling water up top.
a.k.a. Mike Brooks
"In science, there is only physics; all the rest is stamp collecting." - Ernest Rutherford
Keg-1: Terminal Red Rye IPA
Keg-2: Terminal Roggenbier
Keg-3: Terminal Red Rye IPA
Primary1: Terminal Red Rye IPA
Primary2: Terminal Hop Wit It (over hopped wit-bier)

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Ordered a Blichmann Top Tier system
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 06:23:35 pm »
I just broke down and ordered a Blichmann Top Tier system. I went with the default setup of 2 burners and one shelf. I also ordered a pump mounting bracket for my March pump and the mounting bracket for my Therminator plate chiller. I am moving up from a three level steel rack I had welded a year back. I already have a 60 qt stock pot (hot liqueur tank), a 72 qt rectangular party cooler (mash tun) and a Sabco keggle.

Any suggestions on whether to mount the mash tun on top or hot liqueur tank up top? I was thinking of using the March pump to move the hot sparge water, to insure it is sanitary prior to pumping the wort. Plus, I'm a bit uncomfortable having 12 gallons of boiling water up top.

HLT up top, when you're done it's empty and light to take down. If you can weld why didn't you just make something else? Congratulations on the purchase btw, just curious how the decision was made.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline greymane

• 1st Kit
Re: Ordered a Blichmann Top Tier system
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 04:25:15 pm »
HLT up top, when you're done it's empty and light to take down. If you can weld why didn't you just make something else? Congratulations on the purchase btw, just curious how the decision was made.

The frame was welded by a friend as a favor and can't be leveled well.

I followed your advice and put the mash tun in the middle. It took 4.5 hours to get the stands all mounted. I'll hook up the gas plumbing next weekend. I'm worn out from assembling that giant
erector set.

The only question is why the gas regulator is a low pressure (10 psi)? Would there be a problem swapping the provided regulator hose with a 40 psi regulator?
a.k.a. Mike Brooks
"In science, there is only physics; all the rest is stamp collecting." - Ernest Rutherford
Keg-1: Terminal Red Rye IPA
Keg-2: Terminal Roggenbier
Keg-3: Terminal Red Rye IPA
Primary1: Terminal Red Rye IPA
Primary2: Terminal Hop Wit It (over hopped wit-bier)