Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Questions on building a kegerator  (Read 1552 times)

Offline dano14041

• Brewer
Questions on building a kegerator
« on: November 30, 2010, 10:24:10 am »
I am gathering parts to build a kegerator from a fridge. I have lots of questions about the hardware. Should I pop for the stainless steel shank, tail, faucet, etc. or will the chrome plated ones last without wearing down to the brass? Is getting a shank with the tail welded on better than the separate tail and nut? What size tail is best?

Don't know if it matters, but I am planning on having 4 taps with an APA, an American Amber, and an English Bitter for house ales and the last tap being for whatever else catches my fancy.

Thanks in advance!
Dano
Tulsa, OK

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
Re: Questions on building a kegerator
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 10:32:30 am »
I would spring for the stainless. And get some Perlick forward-seal faucets. You want the shanks to protrude into the fridge as far as possible. The mass of the shank helps keep the faucet cold. I haven't seen any stainless shanks with the welded nipples. Go for 3/16" nipple and 3/16" ID beer hose. You are going to need at least 20+ ft of beer hose as well as CO2 hose (doesn't matter what diameter) so you might as well get a big roll ?50'?
Get a 7/8" hole saw to drill the holes through the fridge. The door doesn't have any coils in it. You can put the shanks through the side, but you have to make sure therre aren't any coils there.

I forgot to add, in addition to checking at your LHBS, you can check micromatic.com and rapidswholesale.com .

You will also need to "balance" your system. This new Brewers Association book covers everything:  http://www.draughtquality.org/w/page/18182201/FrontPage
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 10:47:54 am by tom »
Brew on

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 10:40:40 am »
I would spring for the stainless. And get some Perlick forward-seal faucets.

I agree with Tom.  I just finished my kegerator over the weekend and installed Perlick forward sealing faucets and they work great.
I am hoping to get many years of use out of them. Measure your depths for your shanks leaving plenty of room to get the nuts and nipples installed. I used 3/16" ID tubing with 6' lengths and I am getting perfect pours. I have four taps and keep the CO2 inside the kegerator.
It is such a convenience to have. I'll try posting pics tonight.

Good Luck
Ron Price

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 10:56:10 am »
No mater what, use a forward sealing faucet,  The others work great when in constant use, but yours will not be in constant use.
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 11:11:10 am »

Don't know if it matters, but I am planning on having 4 taps with an APA, an American Amber, and an English Bitter for house ales and the last tap being for whatever else catches my fancy.

Assuming you only have one tank and regulator, the only issue here is if the other style needs to be carbonated at a different volume ( i.e. Trippel ).  I have mine set at 12psi at 40F which puts me around 2.5 volumes for everything, but I can live with that.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------