Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lager kit yeast and temperature question.  (Read 2136 times)

Offline icedbreeze

• 1st Kit
Lager kit yeast and temperature question.
« on: November 28, 2010, 01:50:06 pm »
Hey all.. after doing 2 different batches of the ale kit I had, I decided I wanted to try a lager.  I bought a lager kit and just opened it and read my instructions.  They don't get very specific after saying "pitch the yeast".  From what I've read on the forums and various places lagers should be fermented at cooler temperatures.  I even saw a post on the forums where a few people were saying they try to get as close to freezing as possible (around 34 degrees).

My yeast lager pack says:  Saflager S-23
                                        Dry Lager Yeast
                                        Dosage:  11.5g in 20-30 litres at room
                                        temperature, 2 x 11.5g in 20 to 30 litres
                                        at 11-15C (51-59F).

Only one package of yeast came in my kit.  The question is: do I follow my instructions and pitch 1 package and keep at room temperature, or do I try to buy another package of yeast and put it in the fridge?

Thanks

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: Lager kit yeast and temperature question.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 02:02:03 pm »
Where it says 51F-59F that means that's the temperature you should be fermenting at for a lager.  Really you should be at the lower end of that range.  I ferment my lagers at 50F.  To achieve that temp you need some kind of temp control since putting it in the fridge is going to cause it to be significantly colder than that.  And you should get another yeast pack.

Once it's done fermenting at 50F then you want to cool the wort down to close to freezing for the extended conditioning (lagering) time.  A fridge at regular temps would work fine for that part.
Clint
Wort Hogs