Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fridge or freezer?  (Read 2560 times)

Offline noisycricket

• 1st Kit
Fridge or freezer?
« on: November 28, 2010, 08:18:06 pm »
I'm new to kegging and I'm wondering which is the better option to make a kegerator: 
A fridge with faucets in the door,
or
A chest freezer/temp controller with faucets in the face
Can you guys help me with the pros & cons, maybe even a couple "I wish I would've..." scenarios?  I have two corny kegs and a 20lb cylinder, but the ideas is to have 4 or 5 kegs/faucets with two of them being root beer and cola and three being whatever I brew.
Thanks.
Tasty but gone:  Mirror Pond clone, only better.
Just kegged and enjoying:  5th Honey Brown, brewed with real Rocky Mountain water.
Primary:  Sandcastle

Brewing since the summer of 2010.  Thanks for the gear, Tom!

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Fridge or freezer?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 09:58:52 pm »
Just went through this. Where I live on this rock the freezers are in $hort $upply on Craigslist. Plus the cost of the temp controller. BE AWARE the upright freezers have freon running through the shelves you can NOT remove the shelves and thus not get the keggies in there so you need a chest.

Whereas the upright fridges are for sale under $100 all day long. I got a fridge up freezer down Sears model for $50 bucks. Fits 6 keggies or 5 and a CO2 bottle, plus ice for the travel coolers below......and, no temp controller, and a smaller footprint.

And, no collar to build. Just a few holes in the door where I am SURE there is no freon. Idiot proof. And, if it croaks, I chuck it and get another one and be back in business in a matter of a few hours, whereas if your chest croaks and you built a collar.....you have to find the exact same size chest or build a new collar. And, be careful drilling in chests..... there is freon tubing in the sides.... :o

« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 10:05:43 pm by oscarvan »
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 05:15:26 am »
I have a chest kegerator that I just finished last night. It is awesome.

I also have a beer fridge in my garage that I want to install two taps into. It will hold two kegs. I think the main consideration is "how many kegs do you want to have on tap".
Chest freezers by and large have more capacity.  If you only have one or two beers on tap at a time, then a beer fridge may be the better option.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 12:47:26 pm by bluesman »
Ron Price

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 11:38:19 am »
My fridge has room for 6 kegs, and as many taps on the door......

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 04:42:59 pm »
What oscarvan said, except not all upright freezers have the coils in the shelves.

Another concern would be your space and what would fit best.
Brew on

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 04:55:23 pm »
What oscarvan said, except not all upright freezers have the coils in the shelves.

Really......  All the one's I saw did..... means I have to keep looking as I need a fermentation chamber. Although SWMBO did get "the look" when I casually dropped the phrase....."another fridge"....  ;D

Offline octess

• Cellarman
  • the octess project
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 06:00:37 pm »
Hi! I got a chest freezer that holds 4 kegs, CO2 is outside with the holes for tubing on the collar. Works just fine for me but I have to say, since it is a somewhat small chest freezer, there is not much head space for 2 of the kegs in there. Half of it is about 10 inches higher than the rest of the floor space. Thus 2 of the kegs fit in there only because of the extra head space created by the collar...
I still like it since it was landed to me! I can put my glass on top! As far as the "I wish I had" thing, I guess if I'd have to build one, I'd go for the large family size fridge! Though the temperature controller in the freezer lets you set it exactly where you want it, but I guess you could put one in a fridge as well! :-\
The great thing is that you're kegging dude!
Let's have a homebrew!
Viva el art of brewing alchemy!

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 07:26:13 pm »

Really......  All the one's I saw did..... means I have to keep looking as I need a fermentation chamber. Although SWMBO did get "the look" when I casually dropped the phrase....."another fridge"....  ;D
I think the "frost-free" models work more like a fridge and the coils aren't in the shelves. I have one I use for lagering that fits 4 cornies and a shelf of bottles.
Brew on

Offline noisycricket

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 11:09:41 pm »
My fridge has room for 6 kegs, and as many taps on the door......

Six kegs would ROCK!  A cola, a root beer, and four brews.
I'm sold on the fridge instead of the freezer.  Have an appointment to look at one tomorrow afternoon. 
Thanks for all the good advice.
Tasty but gone:  Mirror Pond clone, only better.
Just kegged and enjoying:  5th Honey Brown, brewed with real Rocky Mountain water.
Primary:  Sandcastle

Brewing since the summer of 2010.  Thanks for the gear, Tom!