Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Outragious beer prices???  (Read 6311 times)

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
Re: Outragious beer prices???
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2010, 12:00:26 pm »
Saison Cazeau is only a  1-2 Euro, google shows the other all under $30 .

Velootje in Ghent <snip>). We had 5 bottled beers IIRC and my friend talked the owner out of a used T-shirt. Total 56 Euro!!!

Note to self,  never visit Velootje ;D

Offline svejk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Seattle, Wa
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2010, 12:06:21 pm »
The way I see it is that the craft beer market is maturing and price increases for more sought after beers are a part of the natural progression.

We basically are left with a choice - either you can't get the beer because it was priced too low and sold out immediately and is no longer available, or it is available and it is expensive.  The way I see it, nobody owes me anything - if the asking price is too high then I won't pay it.  I don't expect the Lexus dealership to set Kia prices.  Fortunately a lot of what drives the high prices is that the beer is perceived to be better than more readily available and cheaper alternatives, but that isn't necessarily the case.  A modestly priced Girardin 1882 can hold its own against a whole lot of the higher priced sours.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2010, 12:21:21 pm »
Or you can stay out of Park Slope when you're thirsty.  I'm sure there are other places in NYC you can find those beers and pay a lot less, but look where you were!  I believe Park Slope is the international capitol of Yuppydom.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline resto3

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2010, 12:25:02 pm »
You can say that again!!

Offline glitterbug

• Assistant Brewer
  • dallas, tx
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2010, 12:30:44 pm »
Of course I am to blame.  I knew what I was going to pay for the beer I enjoyed those beers but still I felt like I paid way too much.  What I'm getting at is that I don't think beer really should be in that realm of expense.  Beer for me was always a fun and an affordable outlet. 

No one forced you to buy a $56 bottle of beer. If you want "fun and affordable", buy within your budget  ::)

A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire

Offline resto3

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2010, 12:34:44 pm »
Thanks Gliter bug.  But for your information $56.00 is within my budget I just felt it was a overpriced.  And it totally is.

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2010, 12:41:50 pm »
I think a lot of people are missing the OP's point.  If you don't feel like you're getting a good (or even a fair) value, then that takes some of the enjoyment out of the event.  Since beer is a social beverage, getting ripped off for a decent beer is kind of like being forced to bring along your annoying brother-in-law as your wing man.

So you either vote with your feet, or you suck it up and pay it.  Depends on how bad you want the beer and how inconvenienced you want to be.  As someone who usually has a couple hundred gallons of homebrew around at any given moment, it galls me to pay for *any* commercial beer.  I'll do it to be social, but I try to forget about the economics of it.

I'll tell you what really hurt.  The exchange rate in Australia.  The US and AU dollars are about even now, so I was seeing $9-11 pints in most places.  Decent beers, but not worth 2x what I'd normally be paying.  If I were an Aussie, I'd be living over here now.  It would be like Christmas every day.

So make your own beer and get people to swing by your place.  If they are used to paying through the nose, you'll really look like a hero.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline resto3

• Cellarman
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2010, 01:04:37 pm »
Thank you Mr. Strong.  My point exactly. 

Now I have have a Belgian Black Ale to bottle!!

Cheers everyone!

Richie

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2010, 01:32:13 pm »
I believe Park Slope is the international capitol of Yuppydom.

I thought that was Williamsburg ;)

Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2010, 03:04:22 pm »
Note to self,  never visit Velootje ;D

Ahh my friend...you should be making a note TO visit there. Spooky, scary, weird and wonderful!

We may have had 7 beers now that I think about it, but 56Euro was pricey...musta been the dirty T-shirt...  ;)

- -

We've kinda danced around the subject, but I rarely purchase beers at bars when the price gets above a certain point. A couple of the ones I frequent do a glass size shift and try to keep the price the same. They serve some in pints, others in 14s, some 11.5s and then some 8s and all the prices generally run $5-6 unless they are having a special (generally half price). Of the beers mentioned by the OP, I'd go get them at a store (if possible) and drink what might be affordable. I've paid over 50 bucks for a 750ml bottle and it was pretty fantastic, but for the most part $15 is where I start to consider whether or not to purchase a beer. My wine price point isn't much higher, about $20. Of course if it isn't coming out of my pocket don't worry about it too much  ;D
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2010, 03:14:49 pm »
My question is how much better can a $25 beer be than a $3 beer? Like how much better can a $500 bottle of wine be better than a $20 bottle? There has to be some diminishing returns somewhere.

It all ends up as piss.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2010, 03:23:00 pm »
Ahhh grasshopper...

Get yourself a bottle of Old Rasputin XII (500ml, ~17oz) and compare it to a regular 12oz bottle of Old Rasputin. My response is THAT much better. $22+/- vs $2 (if anyone wants to get picky, more like $15.5 vs $2 if both were 12oz) and let's just say that reminded me I need to go see if I can find a bottle of the XII...  ;D
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2010, 03:27:38 pm »
Get yourself a bottle of Old Rasputin XII (500ml, ~17oz) . . .  that reminded me I need to go see if I can find a bottle of the XII...  ;D
I've got 1 in my cellar,  No comparison between XII and the normal.
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2010, 03:29:18 pm »
I mostly stick to the draught selections when I'm at a specialty beer bar and leave the bottles for purchase at the store, like mdixon says.  It's partly the big "service" mark-up on bottles and partly the fact that I can get the bottled version whenever, but not so much with draught.

"Now I have have a Belgian Black Ale to bottle!!"
I had a very nice Brooklyn Cuvee Noir on tap the other day.  Yours similar?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2010, 03:42:12 pm »
I think a lot of people are missing the OP's point.  If you don't feel like you're getting a good (or even a fair) value, then that takes some of the enjoyment out of the event.  Since beer is a social beverage, getting ripped off for a decent beer is kind of like being forced to bring along your annoying brother-in-law as your wing man.

So you either vote with your feet, or you suck it up and pay it.  Depends on how bad you want the beer and how inconvenienced you want to be.  As someone who usually has a couple hundred gallons of homebrew around at any given moment, it galls me to pay for *any* commercial beer.  I'll do it to be social, but I try to forget about the economics of it.

I'll tell you what really hurt.  The exchange rate in Australia.  The US and AU dollars are about even now, so I was seeing $9-11 pints in most places.  Decent beers, but not worth 2x what I'd normally be paying.  If I were an Aussie, I'd be living over here now.  It would be like Christmas every day.

So make your own beer and get people to swing by your place.  If they are used to paying through the nose, you'll really look like a hero.

Indeed.  I've recently spent too much money on other breweries' beer as well.  It's almost cathartic in that I realize that I need to pretty much stop buying any beer at all and just drink what I make.  After finding out from my dad this past week that a case of Odell Isolation Ale is $40, my jaw dropped.  I need to freakin' quit buying beer.
Jesse