Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Small batches.....  (Read 3558 times)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Small batches.....
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2010, 01:31:38 pm »
do you make many lagers, or keg any?  I am thinking of alternatives to the normal kegging process, and i am not a big fan of bottle conditioning.  i think i may just use one or two corny or even the hdpe spray bottles you can buy at home depot for lagering, conditioning, and then transfer under co2 to bottles. maybe it is a waste of time

Yes, I do lagers.  Worried about lagering a smaller volume?  Don't be.  I still use plastic buckets for lagering as well as all other fermentation, and they've treated me fine.  If you have any concerns, you could use growlers or other smaller containers to lager in.

Funny you should mention kegging...... Yes, being the non-conventional guy that I am, I just started kegging the last couple of batches using the Heineken mini-kegs, and it works like a charm.  No need for any fancy setup.  Just a few bucks and you'll be ready to roll with these mini-kegs, which hold 5 liters.  So what I'll often be doing is kegging a portion of the batch, then bottling the rest to share with friends or to send off to competitions, etc.  See the following link for detailed information on the Heineken mini-kegging stuff.

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21461
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2010, 02:02:09 pm »
dave thanks for the info. it is really the kegging issue that i have been struggling with.  though i shouldn't worry
Don AHA member

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2010, 07:46:49 pm »
Im into this idea.I think I am going to go small. I dont drink a whole lot and it is getting longer and longer between brews,

I want a stove top brew set up and more frequent brews.

Someday I would like to have a little brewery in my house, it will have to be in the next house though.

With small batches I think I can get more brew days in to practice and I can experiment more.

I think this small batch brewing is for me. Than Im gonna set a rule that beer bottles dont leave the house.I given away so many beers with the promise that I will get my liter eazy cap bottle back and I never do.

Drink it here or dont drink it at all.  ;D
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2010, 02:29:41 pm »
In light of downsizing and the recent turkey dinner I have pondered this:  We cooked turkey in an 18qt electric roaster oven.  I am pondering using this for almost the entire brew day.  for 2 gallon batches, it can be used as a tun, heat source is controllable, can pull the grain out from a grain bag (similar to brew in a bag)  then boil in the thing.  anybody have any thoughts?
Don AHA member

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2010, 02:41:31 pm »
In light of downsizing and the recent turkey dinner I have pondered this:  We cooked turkey in an 18qt electric roaster oven.  I am pondering using this for almost the entire brew day.  for 2 gallon batches, it can be used as a tun, heat source is controllable, can pull the grain out from a grain bag (similar to brew in a bag)  then boil in the thing.  anybody have any thoughts?
Do you mean relevant thoughts, or thoughts in general? ;)

It's worth experimenting if you're banned from the kitchen, but 2 gallons is easy enough to do one my stovetop that I probably wouldn't fuss with it.
Tom Schmidlin