Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Electric Apartment Brewers... I have questions for you.  (Read 7366 times)

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Electric Apartment Brewers... I have questions for you.
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2010, 11:28:49 am »
I just want to do 5 gallon batches and I'm hoping that 1) a 220v element will be able to do a full boil, and 2) I will have enough amperage on your average electric stove circuit to run it.

Assuming that I can't boil on the stovetop, that is.

You can do a 110 heatstick assist if your stovetop is weak. But if you've got the juice, just go all the way.
How much of your old setup is salvageable? That will probably guide your final direction. Are you starting from scratch?
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2010, 11:55:44 am »
There are a lot of unknowns here. I just started my apartment hunt. There's a chance that I will be able to score a place that allows me to use my old outdoor setup, but part of me wants to go electric even if that happens. So really, I'm trying to see what my options are so I can factor that into my search. Of course, there are a few other concerns that take priority.

I'm not exactly starting from scratch. I have a lot of the components I need for my RIMS mash tun, but it's far from finished. I'm hoping I'll be able to do no-sparge with that, eliminating the need for a seperate HLT, just like the guy in the link you posted. The boil is the real concern - If I end up with no 220v service, and a gas stove that can't do a full boil, I'm kind of dead in the water. Unless I did twin 110v elements run to different circuits, or a heatstick booster.

Anyway, I'm reading up a bit on a few sites, and I think a stove breaker should be able to handle a 220v element. Everybody else is doing it, anyway. What could possibly go wrong?  ;)
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline Mont

• 1st Kit
  • AKA Glug Master, SW Iowa
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2010, 04:53:09 pm »
A 4500 watt water heater element will pull a little over 20 amps at 220V and about 19 at 240V. Electric dryer outlets are rated 30 amps and electric stove outlets are rated an 50 amps I believe.

I use a 28 quart electric turkey fryer to heat my mash and sparge water for 5 gallon batches. It will get up to 180° in around 40 minutes. It would be tough to do 5 gallon batches in it, but 4 would be feasible.

This one's $120 at Amazon

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2010, 01:06:12 pm »
I use one of these:
http://www.brouwland.com/shop/product.asp?cfid=4&id=2398&cat=396&dt=24&l=2

I did a quick search and couldn't find it in the USA. It's a Weck kettle made for making jams and stuff, with a hole drilled in it and a tap added. Now it's a brew kettle. Works great.