General Category > General Homebrew Discussion

Vanilla in a porter

(1/3) > >>

bonjour:
I've never brewed with the stuff, perhaps because my first vanilla beer was like drinking the extract bottle.
How much, for how long and how should I induce the flavor to 5 gal of robust porter

Thanks

Fred

tygo:
When I brewed Denny's BVIP a while back a did two vanilla seeds in the secondary for two weeks.  I'll say that it was maybe a little over the top on vanilla flavor but not by much.  I think if I did it again maybe I'd decrease the time.

Edit - Just realized I quoted Denny's recipes twice in a short amount of time.  Not sucking up here, I was just on TB at the time I brewed them and was happy with the results!  But yes, I shamelessly copied the recipes.

bonjour:
Good to know but there will be no bourbon in this beer so the vanilla should come thru differently

Fred

tygo:
Not sure how much vanilla you're going for here but if you're just looking for a hint I'd think that going with one bean might be best.

a10t2:
If the beans are fresh and/or high quality, I would start with one. Two is just overkill IME. I just split them lengthwise and chop into a few pieces, then add to the secondary. I would start tasting after a week but depending on how much vanilla flavor you want, it will probably be 2-3 in the secondary.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version