Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New bulk grain supplier  (Read 17654 times)

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: New bulk grain supplier
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 07:49:20 am »
Looks like they are $20-30 more per sack than the local shop for me...

More important to me is that they've got a good selection of maltsters.  All our local shops dish up Muntons Marris Otter and Briess 2-row, neither of which do I want to use.  Because of that, I order bulk online and, with the free shipping, they look cheaper than when I order from North Country.
Joe

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 12:15:00 pm »
The opening has been pushed back ti Jan. 1.  From the website...

"Our opening has been pushed back as we are securing some new suppliers so we can open with a bigger selection and better pricing. It will be worth the wait, trust us. To help get the word out, here is a Grand Opening Coupon Code good for 10% off your entire purchase."
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2010, 07:26:38 pm »
Looks like they are $20-30 more per sack than the local shop for me...
They're about $15+/ sack cheaper than any shop around here, but at least $10 more than I was getting from NorthCountryMalt.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2010, 08:40:48 pm »
its all dependent on where you live relative to NCM vs. the 50lb guys

for me, everyone of their prices is slightly less than NCM.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2010, 08:53:34 pm »
Their prices are at least twice what I was paying at the brewpub down the road(40 miles) but the new brewer there has no love for homebrewers and will not let us piggyback on his malt orders like the 3 previous brewers would.  After 10 years of buying ultra cheap malt I may have to pay retail again.  Last year I bought 4 sacks, 210 pounds and paid a total of $102.  I should have bought 400 pounds.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2010, 06:10:16 am »
Their prices are at least twice what I was paying at the brewpub down the road(40 miles) but the new brewer there has no love for homebrewers and will not let us piggyback on his malt orders like the 3 previous brewers would.  After 10 years of buying ultra cheap malt I may have to pay retail again.  Last year I bought 4 sacks, 210 pounds and paid a total of $102.  I should have bought 400 pounds.

A brewpub brewer with no love for homebrewers?  I think I would find a new place to take my business.  Was this person a homebrewer at one time I wonder?
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2010, 06:25:25 am »

A brewpub brewer with no love for homebrewers?  I think I would find a new place to take my business.  Was this person a homebrewer at one time I wonder?
He never homebrewed.  He got a job at some mid sized brewery somewhere as a flunky and moved up the ladder.  Unfortunately it's the only brewpub within 200 miles of here, but since it's 40 miles away I rarely ever go there anymore.  He just doesn't want to be bothered by the dozen or so homebrewers in the area that might want to buy malt or hops.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

beveragebob

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2010, 03:22:42 am »
$68 bucks for Briess 2-row... I pay $25 for any 50# sack of Briess from my local Brewpub. If that changes, I'm getting a biz license and going wholesale myself and supply the local homebrew club with my cost plus 10% for the fees etc. of maintaining a biz. 

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2011, 12:56:10 pm »
The opening has been pushed back ti Jan. 1.  From the website...

"Our opening has been pushed back as we are securing some new suppliers so we can open with a bigger selection and better pricing. It will be worth the wait, trust us. To help get the word out, here is a Grand Opening Coupon Code good for 10% off your entire purchase."

Pushed back again, now the date is Jan 11
Joe

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2011, 01:22:26 pm »
I just browsed their grain selection, again, and noticed that they don’t sell any Vienna, light Munich or dark Munich. What’s up with that?

Kai

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2011, 01:46:02 pm »
I just browsed their grain selection, again, and noticed that they don’t sell any Vienna, light Munich or dark Munich. What’s up with that?

Kai

Well, they do say they've pushed the date back so that they can "open with a bigger selection and better pricing".  Hopefully that bigger selection will include those malts.
Joe

Offline jptheelder

• Cellarman
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2011, 07:11:17 pm »
so.... did they open today? the site still looks the same as beafor, saying this coupon will go away after we open.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2011, 07:15:06 pm »
I don't think they did.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2011, 07:16:40 pm »
yeah, I looked earlier today and I figured, well Jan 11 isn't technically over yet, so they've still got time.  If it still looks like that tomorrow, though, that's a different story.   :(
Joe

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2011, 08:44:41 pm »
They're open.
I want to order, not sure what to get.
$200 gets another 25 off...
The moral majority, is neither.