Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New bulk grain supplier  (Read 17657 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: New bulk grain supplier
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2011, 12:37:47 pm »
I will try them sometime for a bag of Best Malz Pils.

The price on the Briess is, well, way too high.  A local place has it for $30, and I can get a 10% club/AHA discount.  At that price I will use Briess.  Many of the Michigan breweries use Briess.  We were at Shorts brewpub a while back, and all we saw were bags of Briess on the landing over the basement brewery.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2011, 12:47:50 pm »

The price on the Briess is, well, way too high.  A local place has it for $30, and I can get a 10% club/AHA discount.  At that price I will use Briess.  Many of the Michigan breweries use Briess.  We were at Shorts brewpub a while back, and all we saw were bags of Briess on the landing over the basement brewery.

god - how do they make money at $27 a pop  :o

Jeff, do you know if Bell's uses Briess?  I was under the impression that they used Rahr but I may have just assumed that rather than actually substantiated it.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2011, 01:33:45 pm »
god - how do they make money at $27 a pop  :o
Jeff, do you know if Bell's uses Briess?  I was under the impression that they used Rahr but I may have just assumed that rather than actually substantiated it.
At the AHA Rally Sept. 2008 at Bell's Comstock production plant, Larry Bell stated that they use Briess in most of their beers, to the point that Bells is Briess's largest account.  You do see stacks of bags of other grains and specialty grains at Bells.  everything I saw at Shorts brewpub was Briess.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline glastctbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2011, 02:42:40 pm »

$30 for the Briess 2 row? damn!  I can't get that from my LHBS!  The price 50 Pound Sack is charging for the Briess is a little less than I can buy it locally.

I ordered a sack of the Briess and the Crisp MO yesterday.  From what I am reading here, I'm going to grab some Rahr 2-row to do a side by side with the Briess to see how I like it. 
Scott
Still Hill Brewery

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2011, 03:29:28 pm »
OK, it is a homebrew shop that is part of a brewery now, used to be stand alone.  They have a long term contract with Briess, so a low price.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2011, 10:56:24 pm »

I ordered a sack of the Briess and the Crisp MO yesterday.  From what I am reading here, I'm going to grab some Rahr 2-row to do a side by side with the Briess to see how I like it. 
[/quote]

You should post if you get the order with no problems... sorry to ask you to be the guinea pig!
Dave Malone
The Greater Denver Yeast Infection

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2011, 02:11:50 pm »
Ordered

2 malteurope
1 crisp MO
1 weyermann pilsner

All for the low low price of .............     $185.40 delivered.

The moral majority, is neither.

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2011, 02:20:32 pm »
OK, it is a homebrew shop that is part of a brewery now, used to be stand alone.  They have a long term contract with Briess, so a low price.

ThingsBeer?
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2011, 03:24:52 pm »
Ding Ding Ding.  We have a winner!

One of those places I will stop if I am heading down I-96.

Not for the MBC beer, but to pick up some odds and ends for brewing.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2011, 03:47:15 pm »
Not for the MBC beer
LOL. I hear ya. I worked at TB for a year several years ago. However, I would never turn down a shift beer(or 4)! You mean you're not down for Kid Rock's Bad Assbeer?!  :D
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2011, 03:54:24 pm »
I have not had their beers in a while.  They were at a peak when Dan Rogers was there.  The guy from Big Rock who has won a lot a medals at the WBC and GABF the last couple years.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2011, 04:27:27 pm »
I have not had their beers in a while.  They were at a peak when Dan Rogers was there.  The guy from Big Rock who has won a lot a medals at the WBC and GABF the last couple years.

His IPA at MBC was great. Helluva brewer, in anyone's opinion. I haven't had MBC beers in several years myself. Although, when I got some cheap grain yesterday,  I did hit the zwickel on a small batch IIPA there that was pretty tasty!

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2011, 06:08:43 pm »
I hope this new site is able to make money at those prices, as has been said the Briess is high but some of the others are sweet.  Thanks for the link Denny. 

Offline glastctbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2011, 10:37:51 am »

I ordered a sack of the Briess and the Crisp MO yesterday.  From what I am reading here, I'm going to grab some Rahr 2-row to do a side by side with the Briess to see how I like it.  

You should post if you get the order with no problems... sorry to ask you to be the guinea pig!
[/quote]

I never mind being a guinea pig.

I'm working from home today and fedex just delivered my order.  Each sack came boxed.  They were packed to ensure minimal shifting during shipment.  While the boxes did show signs of wear from the shipping they were intact.  The sacks inside were in great shape.  I'm very satisfied with the condition of the grain on delivery.  The hardest part of this entire transaction was hefting the boxes to my storage area in the basement.  I will be using these guys again.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 10:43:40 am by glastctbrew »
Scott
Still Hill Brewery

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2011, 11:13:27 pm »
I like the hop prices a lot as well.
Dave Malone
The Greater Denver Yeast Infection