Author Topic: New bulk grain supplier  (Read 8406 times)

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
    • View Profile
Re: New bulk grain supplier
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2011, 10:18:08 PM »
I'm jealous at you guys who think that Malt is overpriced.  MY LHBS sells 50# sacks of Rahr 2-row for almost $70.  Has anyone ordered from this site yet?
Dave Malone
The Greater Denver Yeast Infection

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2011, 01:04:42 AM »
I'm jealous at you guys who think that Malt is overpriced.  MY LHBS sells 50# sacks of Rahr 2-row for almost $70.  Has anyone ordered from this site yet?

Free shipping? The prices look good to me. I b!tched for a while about prices a few years back and became resigned. This might make me LHBS free.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2011, 09:07:24 AM »
Most of the grain prices look good except for Briess 2 row - $68! My LHBS: $30/2r Brewers, $35/2r Pale Ale(before 10% AHA discount!). MO prices are about the same, so I will opt to have it delivered! Saves me 1 hr. round trip and $10 in gas!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 02:54:23 PM by maxieboy »
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline edward

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2011, 11:15:13 AM »
Looks like they've had their soft opening.

I asked them about crushing grain.  Here's the reply:

"We will definitely be adding a grain crushing option (8 cents/lb).  We have a professional brewery mill here and it is microadjustable and we usually run it at .034, but we adjust it down for smaller kernel grains (wheat, rye etc.)

Look for that option in the next week."

Offline ryantj

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2011, 11:27:40 AM »
The admin contact for the DNS entry is someone at rebelbrewer.com. Other than looks the site layout and function is almost exactly the same. So is this really a new supplier? Don't get me wrong, the prices are not bad. I just don't like to be fooled.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2011, 12:20:58 PM »
Good sleuthing!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2011, 12:49:11 PM »
As long as this is legit I see nothing dishonest with it. A new side-venture for the entrepreneurs that wasn't feasible under their standard by-the-pound grain?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2011, 04:24:12 PM »
As long as this is legit I see nothing dishonest with it. A new side-venture for the entrepreneurs that wasn't feasible under their standard by-the-pound grain?
They are right next to each other . . . or maybe right across the way :)

www.fiftypoundsack.com
106 Space Park North
Goodlettsville, Tennessee 37072

Showroom Location: (rebelbrewer.com)
105 Space Park North
Goodlettsville, TN 37072
Tom Schmidlin

Offline malzig

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2011, 05:37:44 PM »
I can understand the desire to separate the small-scale sales from bulk sales, it gives them two separate identities for people looking for different things to find more easily.  Also, I appreciate the lack of scull and cross-bones imagery, which I always thought was a little screwy for a food product.

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2011, 06:35:02 PM »
I've always heard good things about rebelbrewer on HBT. So if the same guys are running it, I am even more for it now.

So I was thinking 2 sacks Malteurope and 2 kinds of MO so I could compare them.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2011, 11:19:26 PM »
I haven't ordered anything from rebelbrewer, but I did ask them a bunch of questions and they were very responsive.  Good customer service IME, even though I'm not a customer.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2011, 11:51:48 PM »
I might order a sack or two of the Rahr 2-row. How is it?

Still can't get over free shipping. Some of you will say they make it up in the price but I'm already paying the equivalent with less choice. I bet there'll be some pissed off fedex or ups dudes carrying in those multi-bag orders... :)

Offline blatz

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2011, 07:26:58 AM »
I haven't ordered anything from rebelbrewer, but I did ask them a bunch of questions and they were very responsive.  Good customer service IME, even though I'm not a customer.

FWIW - I've used all of the major online retailers, and without a doubt Rebel is no 1 in service.  They are all very good, but Rebel is exceptional.  Plus they seem to get a lot of specialty one-off stuff that I don't see anywhere else (Falconers Flight hops, floor malted Bo-Pils malt, etc.) which is pretty cool.

euge - I just bought a sack of that myself (new LHBS in town that carries it) so no help there, but I did NOT like their Pale Ale malt.  Given that so many people love the 2-row, I am holding out hope that it is the goods.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2011, 07:56:01 AM »

I have used them for many things: my barley crusher malt mill, my grains, hops, my beersmith program, etc.

From personal experience, their customer service is exceptional (and it is why I prefer shopping online with them).
Two personal examples:
1.)  I bought my Beersmith link late November 2009, but didn't have time to do anything with it until after the holidays were over.  So, it was New Year's Day 2010 and I'm deciding to start the new year off right with setting up my brewing software.  But, the software install code wasn't working for some reason.  I fired off an e-mail, got a reply back within an hour and was using my software within 2 hours of my original e-mail to them.  How many of you would have headed over to the office at 3-4 pm on New Year's Day to obtain the software unlock code for a customer?  Tom at Rebel Brewer gets 5 stars for doing just that.
2.)  My Barley Crusher rod got bent and wouldn't work with a drill without excessive wobbling/vibration.  I sent an e-mail to Rebel Brewer and Tyler Crowell addressed the problem and got me in touch right away with Randy at Barly Crusher.  Randy sent me a new roller with drive shaft to replace to get my BC working again.  No charge.

Do you get this kind of customer service at most businesses?  At your LHBS?  I wish I did.  I concur with Blatz on this one--Rebel Brewer is #1 in service., supplies, options, and convenience (I'm not limited by office hours and the deliveries are to my door--saves me considerable time and money and for a lot less aggravation).  I'm also a small business owner and I know first-hand that the best thing you can do for your business is to take care of your customers and, in turn, your customers will take care of you.  Rebel Brewer is doing business the way it should be done. 

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2011, 11:11:02 AM »
I might order a sack or two of the Rahr 2-row. How is it?

Still can't get over free shipping. Some of you will say they make it up in the price but I'm already paying the equivalent with less choice. I bet there'll be some pissed off fedex or ups dudes carrying in those multi-bag orders... :)
I really like the Rahr 2-row. I'm about 2/3 of the way through a sack right now. I've made a couple APA's and a stout with it as my base malt and been very pleased. My last sack of 2-row was Briess. I prefer the Rahr.
Mark Gres