Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The Wall  (Read 5554 times)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
The Wall
« on: November 30, 2010, 10:01:38 pm »
Roger Waters (Pink Floyd) is currently on tour performing The Wall in its entirety. I was fortunate enough to catch him in LA last night - totally blew me away.

These were taken by someone else on a different night of the tour, but it's pretty much the same as what I saw...
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
Re: The Wall
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 08:19:33 am »
Yup.  Saw that show in DC in October.  Missed David Gilmour, but other than that, it was superb.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline SwashBuckling Drunk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Boring, Oregon
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 09:07:28 am »
Yup.  Saw that show in DC in October.  Missed David Gilmour, but other than that, it was superb.

I think I'd miss Gilmour as well.  Too bad they can't just get along.

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 09:33:36 am »
Bummed I missed the show in Mi. One of my all time fave shows!
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 09:36:54 am »
My band does a Floyd three-fer, great fun. Gilmore is my man.....I can see why Waters rubs him the wrong way. Although there are some great songs on The Wall, it is my least favorite and most commercially oriented Floyd endeavor. I understand the concept, and sympathize with much of it, but in the end.....kids DO need an education, just not the way it happens in so many places.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 09:39:32 am by oscarvan »
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 09:40:53 am »
The guy(s) who were playing Gilmour's parts did a good job, in general.  But they weren't Gilmour, and they didn't stand on top of the wall to do the Comfortably Numb solo.  I saw Floyd on their '87 and '94 tours, and Gilmour on his '84 solo tour.  Also saw Waters on his '84 solo tour (with Clapton playing guitar! now that was cool).

Gilmour is a much better musician and singer, but Waters is a showman.  They were great when they worked together, but that pretty much stopped after Wish You Were Here.

The best songs from The Wall are Gilmour songs (Comfortably Numb, Run Like Hell).  Most of the other songs are vocal-heavy, which is kind of ironic since Roger has sort of a reedy voice.  You have to think of it as a total show experience, and less as a concert.  The staging and visuals were indeed amazing.

As far as concert experiences go, the best song from any of these tours had to have been One of These Days on the '94 tour.  If we weren't already in a stadium, it would have blown the roof off.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 10:44:35 am »
Also saw Waters on his '84 solo tour (with Clapton playing guitar! now that was cool).

Me too...saw Waters at the Spectrum in Philly.  What a great...great show but I did miss Gilmour.

David Gilmour is a fantastic guitar player and song writer.
Ron Price

jaybeerman

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 11:08:33 am »
Man was I ever born in the wrong generation.  I can only imagine how great those early shows were.  Everytime I listen to the Ummagumma live album I'm forced to ponder, what if my parents had met 10 years earlier when they were twelve...well I would have been three when ummagumma came out, damn.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 11:31:50 am »
I entered my teen years with the Wall and watching videos on Top of the Pops. Fabulous! And I love Dark Side of the Moon. It's sad hardly any PF gets played in my area anymore- even on the oldie rock stations. :(

I like Water's solo efforts particularly The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 11:41:35 am »
My first Floyd concert was Rotterdam, 76 or 78..... it's all a blur....... ;D

Offline loopy

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 05:18:53 pm »
a buddy of mine went to the wall show in Houston a few weeks ago.  He said it was awesome. 

I do like the wall.  but my favorite floyd album is animals.  they nailed it in 1977, the world is made up of dogs, pigs and sheep. 
I also really like to zone out to division bell.  I dont know why but I just love that album. 

Offline Bret

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 09:51:46 pm »
While expecting our daughter we played Division Bell every night to fall asleep to.  After she was born, we played it for her--knocked her out every night for years.
Member #: 900000767

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 03:28:04 am »
While expecting our daughter we played Division Bell every night to fall asleep to.  After she was born, we played it for her--knocked her out every night for years.

Yes I know that effect. With our first we made the mistake of training her to go to sleep to Christmas tunes..... I listened to effing Christmas songs EVERY NIGHT FOR TWO YEARS.......... :P

Offline 6thstreet

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2010, 08:56:43 am »
Im a huge Floyd fan as well.  My friend saw the Wall in Denver recently and it made me very green. 

Offline homebrewgamecock

• Cellarman
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2010, 11:34:35 am »
Saw it here in Denver last week and the show was amazing.  Been a Floyd fan for a long time.  Seeing Waters do The Wall was quite the experience.  I would say the band did a great job and show was mind blowing.  I did miss the original Wall shows in NY when I lived back east.  Would be cool to compare the two.

Gordon,

At the Denver show and every other show I know of Dave Kilminster was on top of the wall for the CN solo.  For a great Floyd website, check out http://www.pinkfloydz.com/

They have a whole forum dedicated to this Roger Waters tour with tons of pics and video.  If you want some audio recordings, check out http://braindamage.libsyn.com/category/podcasts  Some great live recordings from this tour and other Floyd, Waters and Gilmour tours.